Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

76 Years Later Maryland Asks Forgiveness
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
76 Years Later Maryland Asks Forgiveness
http://deadspin.com/76-years-later-maryl...socialflow

Quote:In October 1937, Maryland administrators threatened to cancel a game with Syracuse unless the then-Orangemen benched their offensive star, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh. The problem, as Maryland saw it, was that he wasn't the right type of colored boy.

Seventy-six years later, the school is again bringing in Syracuse for a football game, and the hosts will finally get around to righting one of college sports' all-time wrongs.

I knew this story as a kid told by my Dad who saw him play as a high school kid...we have come a long way.
10-31-2013 06:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: 76 Years Later Maryland Asks Forgiveness
(10-31-2013 06:50 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  http://deadspin.com/76-years-later-maryl...socialflow
Quote:In October 1937, Maryland administrators threatened to cancel a game with Syracuse unless the then-Orangemen benched their offensive star, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh. The problem, as Maryland saw it, was that he wasn't the right type of colored boy.

Seventy-six years later, the school is again bringing in Syracuse for a football game, and the hosts will finally get around to righting one of college sports' all-time wrongs.
I knew this story as a kid told by my Dad who saw him play as a high school kid...we have come a long way.
In some ways, yes. In some ways, no. It all depends on your perspective...
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 06:53 PM by bitcruncher.)
10-31-2013 06:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Thanks for posting - great story, and a reminder of the atrocities that have been heaped on minorities in this country.
10-31-2013 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Never heard of this story.
10-31-2013 07:05 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Great read.
10-31-2013 07:48 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
interesting, i didnt know about that and good for maryland.

on a side note there is still a significant part of the texas longhorn fanbase that thinks the cotton bowl brawl never happened. do a little bit of a google search and you can find some texas newspaper opinion articles & sports forums who legitimately think The Express made that part of the movie up. even after someone posted a youtube video of the events i saw a few comments that claim that it was syracuse who started the racial comments against texas and even tried to downplay the hotel/awards ceremony segregation as not that bad03-banghead

although the same movie did (and this is really ****** on the moviemakers part) totally fictionalized syracuse playing wvu @ morgantown that year and having a lot of racial issue's. when in reality they played that game in syracuse that year with zero racial tension
10-31-2013 08:01 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
Maryland and Syracuse have played each other 28 times, excluding the 1985 Cherry Bowl, since 1937:

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/...eamid=3150

The Naval Academy, otoh, dropped Maryland and didn't play Maryland for 40 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland-Navy_rivalry

Quote:Navy dominated the series early by winning the first eight games, between 1905 and 1930, which remains the longest streak. Maryland secured its first win in 1931 at a neutral site in Washington, D.C. After two more meetings, the series was suspended in 1934 when the Maryland administration protested a play.

The teams met again in 1950 when Navy had a last-minute opening in its schedule. The Terrapins won three consecutive games from 1950 to 1952, and the Midshipmen won three from 1958 to 1963. During the 1964 game, a Maryland player twice flashed an obscene gesture, which prompted Navy to cancel the series again. After contractual obligations were fulfilled with the following year's game, the series was put on hiatus for 40 years. Maryland and Navy finally resumed the rivalry in 2005 and again in 2010, with the Terps winning both contests
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 08:06 PM by NJ2MDTerp.)
10-31-2013 08:03 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline

(10-31-2013 08:03 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  Maryland and Syracuse have played each other 28 times, excluding the 1985 Cherry Bowl, since 1937:

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/...eamid=3150

The Naval Academy, otoh, dropped Maryland and didn't play Maryland for 40 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland-Navy_rivalry

Quote:Navy dominated the series early by winning the first eight games, between 1905 and 1930, which remains the longest streak. Maryland secured its first win in 1931 at a neutral site in Washington, D.C. After two more meetings, the series was suspended in 1934 when the Maryland administration protested a play.

The teams met again in 1950 when Navy had a last-minute opening in its schedule. The Terrapins won three consecutive games from 1950 to 1952, and the Midshipmen won three from 1958 to 1963. During the 1964 game, a Maryland player twice flashed an obscene gesture, which prompted Navy to cancel the series again. After contractual obligations were fulfilled with the following year's game, the series was put on hiatus for 40 years. Maryland and Navy finally resumed the rivalry in 2005 and again in 2010, with the Terps winning both contests

yeah it sucks when regional rivals go through that kinda BS.

colorado-air force had to end their series because of the vietnam war.
10-31-2013 08:18 PM
john01992 Offline

after reading this, its a great story and im surprised that i didnt know that much about it.

although if maryland was serious about righting that wrong they would vacate that win.
10-31-2013 08:20 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-31-2013 08:01 PM)john01992 Wrote:  interesting, i didnt know about that and good for maryland.

on a side note there is still a significant part of the texas longhorn fanbase that thinks the cotton bowl brawl never happened. do a little bit of a google search and you can find some texas newspaper opinion articles & sports forums who legitimately think The Express made that part of the movie up. even after someone posted a youtube video of the events i saw a few comments that claim that it was syracuse who started the racial comments against texas and even tried to downplay the hotel/awards ceremony segregation as not that bad03-banghead

although the same movie did (and this is really ****** on the moviemakers part) totally fictionalized syracuse playing wvu @ morgantown that year and having a lot of racial issue's. when in reality they played that game in syracuse that year with zero racial tension
There was never any racial tension in Morgantown, with Syracuse or anyone else. The fact that a movie director wanted to make some kind of statement at the expense of the people of the State of West Virginia is the reason I have never watched the movie The Express. I won't give the SOB that made that film one cent, and never will...

IMO it's an insult to the memory of Ernie Davis as well. There were plenty of factual instances of racism the director could have chosen. But they chose to insult my home state and university with a fictional incident made up in the mind of the director instead. In time it will become accepted as fact, simply because it's in a movie. What's in the history books will be forgotten. But what is seen on the screen will be remembered...

The most notable thing about the first black to play at WVU is that nobody noticed. How many universities can say the same? Not many...
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 08:29 PM by bitcruncher.)
10-31-2013 08:27 PM
john01992 Offline

(10-31-2013 08:27 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 08:01 PM)john01992 Wrote:  interesting, i didnt know about that and good for maryland.

There was never any racial tension in Morgantown, with Syracuse or anyone else. The fact that a movie director wanted to make some kind of statement at the expense of the people of the State of West Virginia is the reason I have never watched the movie The Express. I won't give the SOB that made that film one cent, and never will...

IMO it's an insult to the memory of Ernie Davis as well. There were plenty of factual instances of racism the director could have chosen. But they chose to insult my home state and university instead, and in time it will become accepted as fact, simply because it's in a movie. What's in the history books will be forgotten. But what is seen on the screen will be remembered...

The most notable thing about the first black to play at WVU is that nobody noticed. How many universities can say the same? Not many...

i agree with you 100% on all of that especially the bold part

its such an amazing story that needs to be told. and they tarnished the legitimacy of that story big time with the wvu thing......and for what? i cant think of a legitimate reason as to why the wvu thing needed to be included.

and you are worse a lot of people now think of the wvu thing as fact, and texas fans point to it and say "hey our race brawl was made up too". the movie might of just done more harm than good

my other big beef is that they never mentioned the influential aspect of Davis. ernie davis was as classy as they come and even on his death bed he pulled the lou gehrig "luckiest man alive" routine where he only talked about the positives of his unfortunate situation. he did a lot of writing before he died and came out with some pretty incredible stuff.

its an amazing story and i encourage you to look into the REAL parts of it not the made up hollywood parts
10-31-2013 08:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.