Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida Atlantic Head Coaching Position
Bookmark and Share
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Florida Atlantic Head Coaching Position
Football Rumor Mill has UC offensive coordinator Eddie Gran as one of the top two candidates for the job.

10-31-2013 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DDaddy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats

Donators
RE: Florida Atlantic Head Coaching Position
Wellll...Begin!

10-31-2013 11:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Fantastic! I'll give him a letter of recommendation.

10-31-2013 11:52 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
He's been coaching for over 25 years and never above a position coach until this year. So to go from RBs coach to OC to HC in a span of a year would be quite a leap.

10-31-2013 12:09 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

Please...MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Been calling for Hinshaw to be OC since game #2.

10-31-2013 12:16 PM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
Oh, ahh, no, errr,...please, not that.

10-31-2013 12:16 PM
Advertisement

UC KMF Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
I'll bring some boxes to his house to help pack. I'll even waive my usual fee of pizza and beer.

10-31-2013 12:29 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
I may be the only one that feels this way but I think this would be detrimental to the program. Our offense is improving and he has always been a great recruiter, especially in the south.

10-31-2013 12:34 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I'd hate to see him leave so soon. He's a good recruiter and the offense finally seems to be hitting its stride. That said, that would be a terrible hire by FAU. This is his first year ever with a title above a position coach. Hard to believe they would want someone with so little experience even as a coordinator.

10-31-2013 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Against Memphis - 34 points, 437 yards of offense, 329 passing
UConn - 41 points, 525 yards of offense, 388 passing
Temple - 38 points, 475 yards of offense, 270 passing, 222 rushing

Since the USF game, that's 113 points (37.6/game), 1437 yards (479/game).

I'd like to see better rushing totals across the board, and there have been a few head scratching calls, but I'd take these stats anytime.

With 1 less interception and another first down last night, UC would have had 48 points. Throw in a made field goal and a made extra point and it's 52.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 12:43 PM by bearcatfan.)
10-31-2013 12:41 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Football Rumor Mill also says Gran was a serious candidate when Carl Pelini was previously hired.

10-31-2013 12:44 PM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2013 12:41 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Against Memphis - 34 points, 437 yards of offense, 329 passing

I'd like to see better rushing totals across the board, and there have been a few head scratching calls, but I'd take these stats anytime.

What I found fascinating was the Cincinnati is actually leading the AAC with over 1,300 rushing yards this year (last night excluded). I think it's because UC's three runningbacks (Williams, Green, Abernathy) haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire individually but combined by the numbers it looks like they're not doing so bad.

10-31-2013 12:45 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
The offensive playcalling has been much better the last few games. Still some head-scratchers at times but overall a night and day improvement over the first 5 games.

10-31-2013 12:51 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
They need to give Green 80% of the carries from here on out. Abernathy is good in space but useless trying to run between the tackles.

10-31-2013 12:51 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2013 12:37 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I'd hate to see him leave so soon. He's a good recruiter and the offense finally seems to be hitting its stride. That said, that would be a terrible hire by FAU. This is his first year ever with a title above a position coach. Hard to believe they would want someone with so little experience even as a coordinator.

Agree with everything here. Personally I don't get all the qualms with Gran. The offense has been pretty solid the last couple of weeks and what I think is more important, the guy has ADAPTED to his players. Remember in Butch Jones' first year when everyone was clamoring because his system didn't totally fit his personnel but he continued with that system anyways to disastrous results?

Gran seems more prone to adapt to the personnel he's given like Kelly did and the successful offensive numbers reflect that.

Still, to Marcus' last point, I don't understand why a school would hire someone who hasn't even completed his full year as a first-time offensive coordinator.

10-31-2013 12:52 PM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
(10-31-2013 12:52 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 12:37 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I'd hate to see him leave so soon. He's a good recruiter and the offense finally seems to be hitting its stride. That said, that would be a terrible hire by FAU. This is his first year ever with a title above a position coach. Hard to believe they would want someone with so little experience even as a coordinator.

Agree with everything here. Personally I don't get all the qualms with Gran. The offense has been pretty solid the last couple of weeks and what I think is more important, the guy has ADAPTED to his players. Remember in Butch Jones' first year when everyone was clamoring because his system didn't totally fit his personnel but he continued with that system anyways to disastrous results?

Gran seems more prone to adapt to the personnel he's given like Kelly did and the successful offensive numbers reflect that.

Still, to Marcus' last point, I don't understand why a school would hire someone who hasn't even completed his full year as a first-time offensive coordinator.

You make great points - and he HAS adapted.

I just still have a tough time that a guy would even consider using a back that runs like RDA4 and has the size of RDA4 as a between the tackles bell cow type running back.

I know I need to get over that, but for the first several games every fiber in my being was saying, "WTF are you doing"???

And lets be honest he adapted to doing what every fan here knew the team needed to do. What are the chances that an entire fanbase could diagnose that problem before he could? Why would that happen?

IMO the reason why is that he really didn't study what our team and individual players did WELL for the last few years. He even said flat out that he didn't study those things. And that, for me is a bit tough to forgive.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 01:11 PM by Eastside_J.)
10-31-2013 01:11 PM
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
As far as recruiting goes, with a limited timeframe in advance of signing day, the staff did what they could. So far no one has been thrilled, at least from what i can see, with the recruiting for 2014 (as an aside, i'm not so fearful of that since the weeks leading up to NSD tend to reveal many truths related to offers that would probably benefit Cincy). That being said, i haven't been so impressed with Gran that i would miss him if he walked. Set aside the RDAIV middle runs, which seems to have universal disapproval, the notion that a team can transform from a run spread team to a power run team in one off season makes no gotdam sense whatsoever. Implementation takes time and a longer term transition was probably required for that type of transformation. The fact that he's just now adapting to the team's personnel, their builds/techniques, and their skill sets doesn't give me faith, it gives me pause. Even now, his playcalling leaves much to be desired. The fact that we run short yardage runs out of the shotgun with Luallen on the sidelines is infuriating (and, another aside, that was infuriating with Lyle as well). i hope he continues his growth, even if it is elsewhere, and if he's off to FAU i'll wish him godspeed, but i won't be sad to see him go.

10-31-2013 01:36 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2013 01:11 PM)Eastside_J Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 12:52 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

You make great points - and he HAS adapted.

I just still have a tough time that a guy would even consider using a back that runs like RDA4 and has the size of RDA4 as a between the tackles bell cow type running back.

I know I need to get over that, but for the first several games every fiber in my being was saying, "WTF are you doing"???

And lets be honest he adapted to doing what every fan here knew the team needed to do. What are the chances that an entire fanbase could diagnose that problem before he could? Why would that happen?

IMO the reason why is that he really didn't study what our team and individual players did WELL for the last few years. He even said flat out that he didn't study those things. And that, for me is a bit tough to forgive.

Oh my god, I know! That's what's so frustrating about Gran. I have to give him credit- Overall, he's adapted the offense really, really well to his personnel. But on the other hand he still shows some of the bad habits that we saw early in the season.

It's like, he'll operate in the shotgun with 4/5-WR sets for 6 or 7 straight plays, move the ball 60-70 yards downfield but then he'll run Abernathy up the middle for the next three plays, he inevitably gets stuffed, and the Bearcats have to settle for a field goal. It's infuriating! I like Gran and think he's done a nice job with the offense of late but why do those bad habits keep rearing their ugly heads?

10-31-2013 01:40 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
This thread is soooo low hanging fruit.

Who do we know at FAU?03-lmfao

10-31-2013 02:05 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-31-2013 12:41 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Against Memphis - 34 points, 437 yards of offense, 329 passing

With 1 less interception and another first down last night, UC would have had 48 points. Throw in a made field goal and a made extra point and it's 52.

With Miliano, you won't get many made FG's. The guy is not consistent enough to be a placekicker for a major program, except maybe for kickoffs. His performance last night was not good.

10-31-2013 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.