Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors"
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors"
A UConn booster on their board this morning:

(I copied/pasted it just in case it gets scrubbed.)

huskyrob1

There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.
05-stirthepot

noeynox said: ↑
Um,,, Okay. Stop yanking our chain man.

Ill PM you.

This same poster posted this over the weekend
UCONN is going places. Warde can sell that to high profile applicants.

This has the same eerie feeling to it like the Rutgers insider who when Tim Pernetti spoke to a few Rutgers mega boosters and posted on their board which wqs soon locked down.

As to why I elevate this above the usual chatter and outright lies? The posters history and the manner in which he let this information out. The poster is a big time football booster, and the context of his discussions concerned UConn's coaching search. Based on a pm confirmation he is legitimate.
10-31-2013 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors"
Well it is getting close to the January NCAA meetings. That's when things start to pop. Sure lots of big time changes upcoming on number on P5 schools in each conference. Wouldn't be surprised if all go to 16.
10-31-2013 10:07 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors...
(10-31-2013 10:07 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Well it is getting close to the January NCAA meetings. That's when things start to pop. Sure lots of big time changes upcoming on number on P5 schools in each conference. Wouldn't be surprised if all go to 16.

I don't see it just because of the Pac. Unless they carve up the Big 12- but I don't see Texas etc. wanting to go west.

Also a big problem is the football playoff. I don't see SEC wanting to have it with 4 conference champs which would be the natural step if they got rid of Big 12. Don't see TV wanting that at all either.
10-31-2013 10:10 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors"
I'm sure they are talking. I could also see uconn talking to the acc and big 12 heck throw in the sec too. A football only move to the big 12 really isn't' that a bad a move for both parities.

E: Texas, Texas tech, TCU, Baylor, WVU, Uconn*

W: OU, Ok state, KU, KSU, ISU, BYU*

*football only

i wonder if the big east would take byu if uconn was also joining, work out a partnership with the big 12

big east

E: Prov, St J, Shall, Nova, Gtown, UCONN, VCU
W: Depaul, Mar, ST Louis, Creighton, Butler, Xaiver, BYU

such a move might protect the big east from any split.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 10:15 AM by bluesox.)
10-31-2013 10:12 AM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
RE: UConn insider lets slip: Talk of Connecticut to the Big Ten "more than rumors...
Big Ten network isnt on in New England. UConn gets the Big Ten network on in CT, MA, & RI.
10-31-2013 10:18 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(10-31-2013 10:01 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  A UConn booster on their board this morning:

(I copied/pasted it just in case it gets scrubbed.)

huskyrob1

There have been rumors, and they are actually more than just rumors, that UCONN and the B10 have been talking recently behind the scenes. Now you have to figure that Lembo knows that, and is indeed considering UCONN.
05-stirthepot

noeynox said: ↑
Um,,, Okay. Stop yanking our chain man.

Ill PM you.

This same poster posted this over the weekend
UCONN is going places. Warde can sell that to high profile applicants.

This has the same eerie feeling to it like the Rutgers insider who when Tim Pernetti spoke to a few Rutgers mega boosters and posted on their board which wqs soon locked down.

As to why I elevate this above the usual chatter and outright lies? The posters history and the manner in which he let this information out. The poster is a big time football booster, and the context of his discussions concerned UConn's coaching search. Based on a pm confirmation he is legitimate.

Well chosen descriptor.
10-31-2013 10:22 AM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(10-31-2013 10:10 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I don't see it just because of the Pac.

I don't think the Big Ten waits on them anymore. After B1G-PAC broke down, the Big Ten's going to do what they need to do. Let the PAC catch up to them.

As for UConn-B1G...I'd wager UConn's doing most of the talking.
10-31-2013 10:30 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(10-31-2013 10:18 AM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  Big Ten network isnt on in New England. UConn gets the Big Ten network on in CT, MA, & RI.

I've got Time Warner Cable in New England (go Red Sox!) and BTN is on the sports tier.

(10-31-2013 10:12 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I'm sure they are talking. I could also see uconn talking to the acc and big 12 heck throw in the sec too. A football only move to the big 12 really isn't' that a bad a move for both parities.

*football only

i wonder if the big east would take byu if uconn was also joining, work out a partnership with the big 12

big east

B12 football membership with Big East for other sports would be a great outcome for UConn, and it is certainly more realistic than a B1G invite. Frankly, if I were UConn's administration, this is the move that I would be working for since, again, it is realistic.

The Big East might go for it because, despite UConn's football situation, UConn has tremendous history in the Big East and UConn would be a perfect eastern addition to balance the addition of St. Louis in the west.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 10:51 AM by orangefan.)
10-31-2013 10:43 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-31-2013 10:43 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 10:18 AM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  Big Ten network isnt on in New England. UConn gets the Big Ten network on in CT, MA, & RI.

I've got Time Warner Cable in New England and BTN is on the sports tier.

(10-31-2013 10:12 AM)bluesox Wrote:  I'm sure they are talking. I could also see uconn talking to the acc and big 12 heck throw in the sec too. A football only move to the big 12 really isn't' that a bad a move for both parities.

*football only

big east

B12 football membership with Big East for other sports would be a great outcome for UConn, and it is certainly more realistic thn a B1G invite. Frankly, if I were UConn's administration, this is the move that I would be working for since, again, it is realistic.

I don't believe that the Big Ten wants UConn, but being on the sports tier doesn't matter. Almost every RSN nationwide is on the sports tier with the major providers like Comcast and Time Warner Cable and those networks only get pennies on the dollar compared to when they're on the basic tier.
10-31-2013 10:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
The UMass President and AD used to talk to the Big East all the time too. Talking doesn't mean anything.
10-31-2013 10:50 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Im sure UConn and every other school that is on the outside looking in will have conversations with who ever will give them the time of day. I think the BigTen would be a good location for them, but I don't think other than their men's and women's BB programs they don't provide enough as a choice or do they??? At this point nothing would surprise me at what happens next.

As for the playoffs I think it would be better say if the P5 broke down to 4 conferences of 16 with the champions of each league gaining the auto bid. I think the CFP will expand sooner than later from 4schools to 8schools with four of them being the auto's and the other four being the at-large births. I know people don't think it will happen, but in order to make schools happy and to go along with big biys then this will have to take place.
10-31-2013 11:01 AM
Advertisement

BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Well we never truly know who on a message board is telling the truth or exaggerating. Based on the way the information came out I assign a higher level of confidence to it than otherwise. Everybody knows the "look at me insider" like the WVU twitter guys. Their angling for attention, either for attention's sake or to shill for hits on a website.

This guy from UConn breaks that mold. Much more subtle.

If UConn is in discussions with the Big Ten, that would be news. Whether any of this is related to the earlier UConn president in Chicago, scuttlebutt, who knows?

But I'm more inclined to give credence to this particular type of insider.I still think that Cincy being a potential target of the ACC and Big 12 is the school to watch and will happen sooner than UConn to the Big Ten.
10-31-2013 11:04 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-31-2013 11:04 AM)BE4evah Wrote:  Well we never truly know who on a message board is telling the truth or exaggerating. Based on the way the information came out I assign a higher level of confidence to it than otherwise. Everybody knows the "look at me insider" like the WVU twitter guys. Their angling for attention, either for attention's sake or to shill for hits on a website.

This guy from UConn breaks that mold. Much more subtle.

If UConn is in discussions with the Big Ten, that would be news. Whether any of this is related to the earlier UConn president in Chicago, scuttlebutt, who knows?

But I'm more inclined to give credence to this particular type of insider.I still think that Cincy being a potential target of the ACC and Big 12 is the school to watch and will happen sooner than UConn to the Big Ten.

Losing UConn and Cinci would suck for the AAC. Pretty much destroys the basketball core of the conference.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:34 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-31-2013 11:21 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
I know that the Big 12 isn't exactly in a powerful position vis-a-vis acquisitions, but I find it extremely unlikely that they'd offer UConn a football-only invitation since basketball is by far the strength of the UConn brand. I could definitely foresee the likes of Cincinnati, UCF/USF, Memphis, or Houston being invited as all-sports members before making a partial offer to UConn.
10-31-2013 11:43 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(10-31-2013 10:10 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 10:07 AM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Well it is getting close to the January NCAA meetings. That's when things start to pop. Sure lots of big time changes upcoming on number on P5 schools in each conference. Wouldn't be surprised if all go to 16.

I don't see it just because of the Pac. Unless they carve up the Big 12- but I don't see Texas etc. wanting to go west.

Not only that, but a move to 4x16, which is not plausible for the reason you mentioned, but there are currently exactly 64 teams in the P5 conferences, not including Notre Dame. So even if they were doing that, adding more teams would not be the first move.

(10-31-2013 10:12 AM)bluesox Wrote:  A football only move to the big 12 really isn't' that a bad a move for both parities.

Why on Earth would the Big 12 invite UConn, then leave out it's most valuable asset?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:53 AM by adcorbett.)
10-31-2013 11:45 AM
TennesseeTuxedo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tennessee
I posted information at this site months ago in regards to UConn President and Delany recently having high level discussions about UConn being officially invited into the Big Ten early in 2014. This information came from a family member who works for the UConn President.

UConn is at the right spot, at the right time, to take advantage of the Big Ten wanting to push for even more leverage going into talks for a new TV contract for 2017.

A school with a big market for the BTN will be the partner with UConn in Big Ten expansion. Look for a school like Houston to be the "ying" for UConn's "yang".

I understand if most people do not believe this is truly happening, I wouldn't either if it wasn't for this special circumstance.

I do not know who this "insider message board" guy is you are all referring to in this thread, but he happens to be correct.
10-31-2013 11:54 AM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(10-31-2013 10:10 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Also a big problem is the football playoff. I don't see SEC wanting to have it with 4 conference champs which would be the natural step if they got rid of Big 12. Don't see TV wanting that at all either.

The SEC has no problem with 4 conference champs playing for the championship as long as those 4 schools are the best in the nation and a better team does not get skipped over. For instance, if there were an 8 team playoff and all 4 conference champs were in the top 8, I don't think we would have a problem with agreeing that the matchups can be adjusted in such a way that conference foes do not face off in the 1st round. Say the SEC had the #2, #4, and #6 ranked teams that year. Our #4 would have no problem playing the #3 rather than the #5 if that helped to ensure that conference foes would not play in the first round.

What the SEC does not want is a conference champion that finishes outside the top 4 (or 8 eventually) getting an automatic spot for being the best of the bad (think Illinois several years ago or the ACC champ in recent years). This year is turning out to be a great year for the conference champs to square off. Most years, though, that is not the case.
10-31-2013 11:56 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

Illinois is a bad example, a really bad example, because they were picked over much more deserving teams, and were NOT conference champions, picked because of their conference. Which was what could actually happen in the SEC's preferred set up.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:59 AM by adcorbett.)
10-31-2013 11:58 AM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU / BEast
I would not be surprised at all!

Let the chaos begin again!
10-31-2013 11:58 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-31-2013 11:58 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  Illinois is a bad example, a really bad example, because they were picked over much more deserving teams, and were NOT conference champions, picked because of their conference. Which was what could actually happen in the SEC's preferred set up.

What the SEC has a problem with is 2 years ago-
#1 LSU
#3 Oklahoma St
#5 Oregon
#10 Wisconsin

They have a major problem with Wisconsin getting in over #2 Alabama.
10-31-2013 12:02 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.