Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC fans: Who is realistic target #1 for expansion?
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
SEC fans: Who is realistic target #1 for expansion?
If the Big Ten pulls the trigger on Mizzou and UConn (which are, in my opinion, the only realistic expansion targets for the Big Ten because of GOR's sealing all the other conferences), who would the SEC choose to backfill for Mizzou?
10-31-2013 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: SEC fans: Who is realistic target #1 for expansion?
wait for b12/acc GOR to expire and go after one of those schools
10-31-2013 08:45 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
ECU
10-31-2013 08:48 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
They would go at the Big 12 just like they did with Mizzou. The Big 12 is the wounded animal. WVU doesn't want to be there. It would make sense with them in the East. Gives them a somewhat new market. WVU would be the team. Not the best fit, but it's the only realistic option. Otherwise, they'd have to settle with a Cincinatti or some directional school, because no one in the ACC is going there.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 08:52 AM by RUScarlets.)
10-31-2013 08:52 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
As the SEC will be similarly locked up with a GOR (via the new TV network) Mizzou is going to be off the table as an expansion target.
10-31-2013 08:53 AM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(10-31-2013 08:40 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  If the Big Ten pulls the trigger on Mizzou and UConn (which are, in my opinion, the only realistic expansion targets for the Big Ten because of GOR's sealing all the other conferences), who would the SEC choose to backfill for Mizzou?

Mizzou is not leaving the SEC. Vandiver is right, the SEC network acts as a GOR, but actually stronger because actual damages would be incurred by any program leaving.

The B1G let that train leave the station.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 09:09 AM by LSUtah.)
10-31-2013 09:06 AM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
i think mizz would for the b10
10-31-2013 09:09 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(10-31-2013 08:40 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  If the Big Ten pulls the trigger on Mizzou and UConn (which are, in my opinion, the only realistic expansion targets for the Big Ten because of GOR's sealing all the other conferences), who would the SEC choose to backfill for Mizzou?

If the Big 10 went after Missouri, the SEC would immediately invite Ohio, Indiana State and Northern Illinois. 03-lmfao

Mizzou isn't going anywhere. 04-rock
10-31-2013 09:09 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Likewise, don't think mizzou will leave
10-31-2013 09:16 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
(10-31-2013 08:53 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  As the SEC will be similarly locked up with a GOR (via the new TV network) Mizzou is going to be off the table as an expansion target.

When will that become official? I hadn't heard about their TV deal morphing into a GOR.
10-31-2013 09:17 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I think that the idea that Missouri would leave the SEC for the Big Ten is damn near preposterous.
10-31-2013 10:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't really see Missouri wanting to join the big 10 if team 16 is uconn. IF team 16 is KU or texas, than the odds are much better. Let's say missouri did bolt with uconn, my guess is the sec would ask the big 12 to release wvu from the GOR to get back to 14. For allowing such a move, maybe the sec sets up more deals with the big 12. Big 12 could jump back to 10 pretty easy, byu, cincy, new mexico, col state, ucf, usf, etc. and not be damaged.
10-31-2013 10:22 AM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
Its obviously going to be a new market so you can rule out FSU, Clemson, Miami, GT. All major conference expansion is driven by new markets.
10-31-2013 10:33 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I'm as big of a Big Ten guy as anyone, but I don't see Mizzou leaving the SEC (and frankly, I don't see the Big Ten really wanting them - they've passed them over several times over the past decade already).

Pretty much all of the brands that either the Big Ten or SEC would want are locked up in GOR leagues, so it's more of a matter of whether the money that the Big Ten will end up making will be so great that it makes it worth it to attempt to get out of the GOR. IMHO, both the Big Ten and SEC *want* Texas and UNC at the top of the list. However, I think the Big Ten would go to 16 with a Kansas/Oklahoma combo (or Virginia if they're willing), while the SEC would at least examine NC State, VT and WVU as possibilities (although I think the league's desire to go after any of those is lower than what a lot of fans want to believe).
10-31-2013 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-31-2013 08:53 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  As the SEC will be similarly locked up with a GOR (via the new TV network) Mizzou is going to be off the table as an expansion target.

Would you please explain how this is going to come about?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 10:45 AM by SMUmustangs.)
10-31-2013 10:42 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(10-31-2013 10:42 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  

Would you please explain how this is going to come about?

Wouldn't be shocked if this is part of the new TV network deal.
10-31-2013 10:46 AM
Advertisement

LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
(10-31-2013 09:17 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  

When will that become official? I hadn't heard about their TV deal morphing into a GOR.

No program leaves the SEC for the same reason no program leaves the B1G or PAC. In order to have Big 10, PAC and SEC networks, all member institutions sign over their tier 3 rights. I'm no contract lawyer (although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night), but it is safe to assume that network deals that involve a significant distribution of revenue for these rights also have significant damages associated with withdrawal. Non-conference scheduling is made years in advance, so you can imagine that mess. The reality is all of these tier 3 network deals are stronger than the "GOR" the Big-12 created, which was essentially an attempt to artificially create the fabric of what the B1G, PAC and SEC have.

But the bigger question is why would any member institution leave the stability and branding that is the PAC, B1G or SEC? There is no logic in that...
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:00 AM by LSUtah.)
10-31-2013 10:54 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(10-31-2013 08:52 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  They would go at the Big 12 just like they did with Mizzou. The Big 12 is the wounded animal. WVU doesn't want to be there. It would make sense with them in the East. Gives them a somewhat new market. WVU would be the team. Not the best fit, but it's the only realistic option. Otherwise, they'd have to settle with a Cincinatti or some directional school, because no one in the ACC is going there.

I agree.... If the B12 decides not to add additional eastern schools, it should see if the SEC would take WV. I would throw TCU in the deal as well and start over from scratch by expanding west….
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:16 AM by Underdog.)
10-31-2013 11:06 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(10-31-2013 09:09 AM)john01992 Wrote:  i think mizz would for the b10

Dream on...
10-31-2013 11:19 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(10-31-2013 10:41 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I'm as big of a Big Ten guy as anyone, but I don't see Mizzou leaving the SEC (and frankly, I don't see the Big Ten really wanting them - they've passed them over several times over the past decade already).

Pretty much all of the brands that either the Big Ten or SEC would want are locked up in GOR leagues, so it's more of a matter of whether the money that the Big Ten will end up making will be so great that it makes it worth it to attempt to get out of the GOR. IMHO, both the Big Ten and SEC *want* Texas and UNC at the top of the list. However, I think the Big Ten would go to 16 with a Kansas/Oklahoma combo (or Virginia if they're willing), while the SEC would at least examine NC State, VT and WVU as possibilities (although I think the league's desire to go after any of those is lower than what a lot of fans want to believe).
The Big Ten wanted Missouri ..at their convenience. Delaney just missed the part where Missouri went shopping to the South. They didn't imagine the SEC being their competition as far as Missouri goes... Tell me about the "several times" in a decade you are talking about in your comments.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 11:25 AM by USAFMEDIC.)
10-31-2013 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.