Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jayson Carter story on CBS Sports
Baconator Offline

I Root For: My Kids
New Orleans BowlDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
Exclamation Jayson Carter story on CBS Sports
Great story from CBSSports.com columnist Gregg Doyel.
10-30-2013 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Jayson Carter story on CBS Sports
THAT is fantastic. Great kid. Great family. Great school. We need to help him get that internship!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
10-30-2013 08:59 AM
smackdaddy Offline
All American

Excellent. Now let's get him a carry in a CUSA championship game!
10-30-2013 09:27 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Fantastic article!

Oh, and the youtube vid from Chuck Pool of his first carry is at almost 385,000 views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs0J3eCTG...iUgMIANEow
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 09:30 AM by d1owls4life.)
10-30-2013 09:30 AM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Wow, wonderful story. Bravo to the author for taking the story to the next level.
10-30-2013 10:58 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The BEST story about this is the one that most people miss.

Jay almost completely dismisses this as anything other than a young walk-on "doing his job". It was one carry for one yard. Not, "I got in the game" or some other platitude, but that he has MUCH higher expectations of himself and he clearly works to earn everything he gets... and expects to get more.

As far as I'm concerned, THAT is what Rice Athletics is all about. Limitations, even very real ones are excuses... Jay Carter strives for success measured the same way that everyone else measures success... and not "considering the circumstances"

ETA: I also think that Bailiff put him in because he deserved it for his work, and not as a PR stunt. That young man works too hard every single day to let people dismiss this as such.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 12:35 PM by Hambone10.)
10-30-2013 10:59 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
I showed the video to friends last night at dinner. One is a retired teacher who is about 4'10". He immediately became her favorite football player.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013 12:52 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
10-30-2013 11:52 AM
Advertisement

greyowl72 Offline
Heisman

Incredible. And moving.
10-30-2013 02:07 PM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Jayson also made Deadspin and was the subject of a quick but nice spotlight at the end of last night's weekly "Football & Beyond" show on the Big Ten Network - might be available on demand depending on your cable/satellite system.
10-30-2013 02:38 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(10-30-2013 02:38 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  Jayson also made Deadspin and was the subject of a quick but nice spotlight at the end of last night's weekly "Football & Beyond" show on the Big Ten Network - might be available on demand depending on your cable/satellite system.

The story was a feature on Channel 2 news in Houston this past week as well.
10-30-2013 04:40 PM
Advertisement

chenry Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: rice
The one piece of information about this story that is not reported anywhere is how the athletic department now accommodates the difficulties of juggling an engineering degree and participation in sports. In 1973 my freshman roommate was a scholarship football player that came to Rice expecting to get an Electrical Engineering degree and was told "Engineering classes have labs in the afternoon and you have football practice in the afternoon. You will be getting a Commerce degree." Commerce was the business major that had been setup by the athletic department for scholarship athletes at the time and disbanded a couple years latter. I got my degree in Electrical Engineering and Math Science, (there was no Computer Science degrees way back then) and struggled through Digital Logic in my sophomore year. It was not a jelly roll. This young man stands tall among everyone at Rice and will go far. But also, David Bailiff and the entire athletic department deserve a standing ovation for keeping sight of the true purpose of student athletics at Rice.
10-31-2013 09:11 AM
RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The athletic department at Rice was accommodating engineering students who were athletes at least as far back as 1980 and I believe even before that. It was the primary factor in my choosing Rice. Perhaps it was a change when the Commerce degree disappeared (somewhere between 1973 and 1980). So while the accommodation is commendable, it isn't the story here. Let's let the young man enjoy this moment (of what will be many) in the sun and revel in it with him.
10-31-2013 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

They still do not prefer engineering degrees because of labs, but as has been said, they now work with the student a bit more to try to make that sort of schedule work.
10-31-2013 11:28 AM
Advertisement

RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I know when I was being recruited, I was told that I could pursue a chemical engineering degree, but they would expect me to take the classes at times that did not interfere with practice if at all possible. If that wasn't possible, then I was to go to class (or lab) and get to practice as soon as possible, even if late. That was the way it worked in practice as well. As a practical matter on the football front vis-a-vis Chem E's, there was a Friday afternoon lab that met first semester only, that I chose to take during my first semester of law school so that I could travel with the team to away games instead of flying on my own after the lab. Half the offensive linemen at Rice when I was there wouldn't have been at Rice if athletes were prohibited from pursuing engineering degrees!
10-31-2013 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
As of 2010, at princeton and brown, fall labs were offered on Mondays,which is NCAA mandated day off for the football team, or in sections beginning at 7pm on tues or wed or thurs.
10-31-2013 02:39 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I know sometimes the basketball teams practice early because of afternoon classes.
10-31-2013 03:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.