Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Running up the score: Is just perspective?
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Running up the score: Is just perspective?
Last Saturday Ohio State gave Penn State their worst beating in 114 years
… yet no one seemed to complain about the Buckeyes excessively scoring.

Perhaps the lack of bellyaching about the margin of victory is based in the fact that Meyer
put the backups in the third quarter…. but those backups were Kenny Guiton and Jordan Hall!

Just four weeks ago, playing those two “starters” well into the fourth quarter
would have drawn the condemnation of principled football fans everywhere.

It appears that running up the score has more to do with the depth chart than the points score.
10-30-2013 07:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Running up the score: Is just perspective?
the only complaint i have were from the osu fans trolling the psu fans about it.

i mean come on kinda hard to blame this on psu considering all the ncaa sanctions
10-30-2013 09:23 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

(10-30-2013 09:23 AM)john01992 Wrote:  the only complaint i have were from the osu fans trolling the psu fans about it.

i mean come on kinda hard to blame this on psu considering all the ncaa sanctions

This is synonymous with empathy for Martha Stewart because she
couldn't create elaborate crafts while serving her prison sentence.
10-30-2013 09:35 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't think many people will complain when they see PSU get hammered. Many across the country hold a lot of disdain for that program. If OSU had put 120 on them and had the starters in the whole time you may get a peep but for the most part folks are happy they got beat.
10-30-2013 09:42 AM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(10-30-2013 09:35 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 09:23 AM)john01992 Wrote:  the only complaint i have were from the osu fans trolling the psu fans about it.

That's pretty funny. I think it's more like Bernie Madoff complaining that serving all that time in prison has really put a crimp in his business.
10-30-2013 10:12 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Here's a funny article from the Onion on this very topic.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/6314-lo...:1:Default
10-30-2013 10:16 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-30-2013 10:16 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Here's a funny article from the Onion on this very topic.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/6314-lo...:1:Default

03-lmfao

04-cheers
10-30-2013 10:18 AM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(10-30-2013 10:12 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

That's pretty funny. I think it's more like Bernie Madoff complaining that serving all that time in prison has really put a crimp in his business.

those would be correct analogies if the football players or fans committed the crimes but last i check it was Sandusky/psu administration that committed the crime and they actually went to prison for it.
10-30-2013 10:20 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

(10-30-2013 10:20 AM)john01992 Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 10:12 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

those would be correct analogies if the football players or fans committed the crimes but last i check it was Sandusky/psu administration that committed the crime and they actually went to prison for it.

So it’s more like a conservative losing his healthcare plan.
10-30-2013 10:44 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-30-2013 07:20 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Last Saturday Ohio State gave Penn State their worst beating in 114 years

I thought OSU clearly ran up the score, and I think I know the reason: Urban knows that his team has been slipping in the polls and public perception because they've been beating teams 31-24 while Oregon and FSU are blasting teams 55-7. So he's trying to push back on that and garner his team some respect. In a system still largely driven by opinion polls, that's the game that's played.

And I have no issue with that. You have to stick up for your team. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 11:35 AM by quo vadis.)
10-30-2013 11:34 AM
Advertisement

theSabanator20 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-30-2013 11:34 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 07:20 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Last Saturday Ohio State gave Penn State their worst beating in 114 years

I thought OSU clearly ran up the score, and I think I know the reason: Urban knows that his team has been slipping in the polls and public perception because they've been beating teams 31-24 while Oregon and FSU are blasting teams 55-7. So he's trying to push back on that and garner his team some respect. In a system still largely driven by opinion polls, that's the game that's played.

He could have stopped at 49 honestly. But there aren't Nick Sabans out there any more. Alabama could have put 63 on the Vols with ease but Saban called off the dawgs after 35. Notice Alabama hardly ever scores 50 on anyone. Not because they can't score 50, but Saban shows his opponents the proper respect and can tell when a game is over or not. He calls in to Nussmeier and they run like 3 different plays for the rest of the game to run out clock. I would have been impressed with Ohio State winning 49-7 or 49-14. That's a shellacking against any good opponent. But Meyer went ahead and sucked the medias sack and gave in so his team would look better. There is a line between beating someone badly and running up the score. Meyer crossed it IMO.
10-30-2013 02:22 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

(10-30-2013 02:22 PM)theSabanator20 Wrote:  

He could have stopped at 49 honestly. But there aren't Nick Sabans out there any more. Alabama could have put 63 on the Vols with ease but Saban called off the dawgs after 35. Notice Alabama hardly ever scores 50 on anyone. Not because they can't score 50, but Saban shows his opponents the proper respect and can tell when a game is over or not. He calls in to Nussmeier and they run like 3 different plays for the rest of the game to run out clock. I would have been impressed with Ohio State winning 49-7 or 49-14. That's a shellacking against any good opponent. But Meyer went ahead and sucked the medias sack and gave in so his team would look better. There is a line between beating someone badly and running up the score. Meyer crossed it IMO.

The starters did stop at 49.

You think Meyer should have bypassed the second string
and gone with the third and forth on the depth chart?
10-30-2013 02:40 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

He could have stopped at 49 honestly. But there aren't Nick Sabans out there any more. Alabama could have put 63 on the Vols with ease but Saban called off the dawgs after 35. Notice Alabama hardly ever scores 50 on anyone. Not because they can't score 50, but Saban shows his opponents the proper respect and can tell when a game is over or not.

In fairness to Oregon, Ohio State, FSU, etc., Saban is in a different position. Since Alabama is #1 and there is no chance the pollsters will drop them from #1 unless they lose, he doesn't have to run up the score to improve his chances that Alabama will be in the BCS title game, all he has to do is win.

So it actually makes sense for him to call off the dogs early, so as to protect against injuries.
10-30-2013 02:49 PM
Advertisement

theSabanator20 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-30-2013 02:40 PM)AngryAphid Wrote:  

That's what Saban does.... 07-coffee3
10-30-2013 02:50 PM
theSabanator20 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-30-2013 02:50 PM)theSabanator20 Wrote:  
(10-30-2013 02:40 PM)AngryAphid Wrote:  

That's what Saban does.... 07-coffee3

We had our 5th string RB in the game vs Tennessee with a mix of 2nd and 3rd string Olinemen. Our backup QB isn't anywhere the caliber of AJ. Also used our backup kicker 02-13-banana
10-30-2013 02:53 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Nobody likes the opponent to run up the score on the team that they root for.

However, there is an old saying that it is up to the opposing defense to stop the offense from scoring.

That said, I prefer that teams not run up the score, in general.

One way to deal with it is to hopefully return the favor some day in the future (and let them know about it).
10-30-2013 03:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.