Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Meet The Bruins
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Belmont
Meet The Bruins
Did anyone attend the "Meet the Bruins" night? If so, feel free to drop some talking points..

In other news, we scrimmaged Wofford earlier this week and apparently played well once again. Can't wait to to see the boys lace em up when the games begin to count and we can actually watch!
10-28-2013 09:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Meet The Bruins
I attended Meet the Bruins tonight and it was very entertaining. What i gathered from tonight's event (although it was a scrimmage with little to no defense) was that we gained both size and athleticism during the off season. I went expecting to be most impressed by Drew Windler. While he did not disappoint he was not very active. He did show great ball handling ability for his size but for the most part stayed in the shadows (as did most of the upperclassmen.) Tonight was all about the young talent and the most eye opening performance was from Evan Bradds. While he does not look like one, Evan is a freak athlete. He had several throw downs in the scrimmage including two alley oops. He later participated in the slam dunk contest and did well (threw one down through the legs), but wound up falling short of the real star of the night in Craig Bradshaw. Craig's athleticism never ceases to amaze me. His hops are unbelievable. I hope there's some footage of the dunk contest because it was a good one. Other thoughts/concerns...Nick Smith looks like he will be an immediate impact player. Great size and build and looks like a real athlete. Taylor Barnette can really shoot (too bad we won't have him until next year). And finally Blake did not get any action tonight. I don't know if he is injured or what but he did not play in the scrimmage or participate in the dunk contest. Overall I was very pleased with what I saw tonight. Like I said it looks like what we lost in experience we made up in size and athleticism in our young players. Just watching the team interact you get the feeling they are very excited and are anxious to prove they can succeed without the lost seniors. I really think we are going to be sneaky good and with a lot of young talent and a great recruiting class coming in next year (especially if we get Allsmiller), I have never been more excited about our future. I see NCAA tourney wins in our near future.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 10:44 PM by BruinsFan31.)
10-28-2013 10:42 PM
BluBare Offline
2nd String

I did go and this will sound similar to Bruins31. The most obvious difference we kind of knew going in, bigger at the 4,5. But I was pleasantly surprised by the athleticism, they all moved really well. Chad looked as good as he's ever looked, just seemed to know what he wanted to do and did it with confidence and got up and down the court. He won't unseat Windler starting, but should contribute more.

Bradds at the 3 had two dunks and a couple of alley-oops in the scrimmage and Byrd commented we'd see lots more of those in the next four years. Surprising to hear that from Coach Byrd.

Bradshaw won the dunk contest with some serious dunks, Bradds was in the final with him and was also entertaining. Bradshaw and Chamberlain were what I expected at guard. Luke struggled most of the scrimmage. Chowbay knocked down a three as did Turner and Laidig. Barnette can really shoot with range but he'll be a great addition next year. I think we still need a quick PG. Not sure if we'll sign one this year but looks like we're recruiting hard for one in 2015.

One other interesting change, the lighting in the Curb. They changed the traditional gas lights to LED's I think, it's an odd change for me, it seems really flat and lacks the crispness of the "old" lighting. Undoubtedly, they are saving a bundle on power, but......maybe I'll get used to it. Not sure how it's going to look on TV either. Again the old lighting looked great.

Oh, and there are words to the fight song, lots of words.

(10-28-2013 09:34 PM)T-W Wrote:  Did anyone attend the "Meet the Bruins" night? If so, feel free to drop some talking points..

In other news, we scrimmaged Wofford earlier this week and apparently played well once again. Can't wait to to see the boys lace em up when the games begin to count and we can actually watch!
10-29-2013 12:02 AM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

I appreciate the insight guys. I'm looking forward to being in the stands for the Lipscomb game next Friday. It can't come soon enough!
10-29-2013 07:35 PM
Advertisement

BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I'll be there as well. Anyone have a scouting report on Lipscum? New coach and a young team...should we expect similar results as last year?
10-30-2013 10:46 AM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

I would imagine it'd be much like last year. Lipscomb brings almost no size to the table. Incorporate that with the two guys that do have any size and you're looking at two freshmen. If there is any place Lipscomb could even come close to matching us, it is in the backcourt and I don't honestly believe it is even that close.

Couple our size with our depth (in comparison to our opponents), plus our athleticism and smarts on the defensive end (yes, I said athleticism)... I would expect to see a 20 plus point victory if we come out of the gates I expect us to. I'm hoping for 30 plus though and we see a TON of the bench.

It'll be interesting to see how Byrd handles a lopsided score line come the second half (if it is that way) given his long time friend is down on the other bench from him.
10-30-2013 09:58 PM
BruinsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmwFdMhrkZQ

Here's the highlights from the dunk contest the other night.
11-01-2013 10:58 AM
T-W Offline
Water Engineer

(11-01-2013 10:58 AM)BruinsFan31 Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmwFdMhrkZQ

Here's the highlights from the dunk contest the other night.

That last one from Craig was mean! Here's to hopin these boys get out in the open floor a little this season.
11-01-2013 07:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.