Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notice where we have offered a transfer from a bigger program
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Notice where we have offered a transfer from a bigger program
We have done well with transfers from higher level programs. Allan Barksdale, Shane Edwards, Brandon Patterson, Mike Smith and Solo come to mind. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I think that's a great way to add to our roster if we can get some of those kids who were good enough to sign with larger programs, and for whatever reason didn't stick.04-cheers
10-21-2013 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Notice where we have offered a transfer from a bigger program
(10-21-2013 03:34 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  We have done well with transfers from higher level programs. Allan Barksdale, Shane Edwards, Brandon Patterson, Mike Smith and Solo come to mind. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I think that's a great way to add to our roster if we can get some of those kids who were good enough to sign with larger programs, and for whatever reason didn't stick.04-cheers

I have always liked getting transfers. Brady is living on them at ASU, but he obviously has a lot of connections. That is how you typically get transfers, unless it is a local kid who is homesick.
10-21-2013 03:51 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I don't believe Brady has lived up to his hype. I would assume ASU fans have expected more from him than he's delivered.
ASU certainly has a lot of talent this year so it will be interesting to see what they accomplish with it. Coaching in a one bid league is really tough. Heck. Mike Anderson is coaching in a three, four or five bid league, and he's had trouble making the big dance. I think the Hogs will be back in the tournament before too long, but it's tough, and especially in a league like the Sun Belt.
10-21-2013 03:59 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(10-21-2013 03:59 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't believe Brady has lived up to his hype. I would assume ASU fans have expected more from him than he's delivered.
ASU certainly has a lot of talent this year so it will be interesting to see what they accomplish with it. Coaching in a one bid league is really tough. Heck. Mike Anderson is coaching in a three, four or five bid league, and he's had trouble making the big dance. I think the Hogs will be back in the tournament before too long, but it's tough, and especially in a league like the Sun Belt.

At least Brady had a hype to try to live up to. Yes, I agree that he's fallen short of what I expected him to do, but, even though Shields came here with no type, he certainly hasn't produced enough success to last eleven years.
10-21-2013 04:13 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 03:59 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  I don't believe Brady has lived up to his hype. I would assume ASU fans have expected more from him than he's delivered.

Everyone who pooh-poohs our Division Championship, when is the last time Arkansas won one (I realize they no longer have divisions)? I would guess it has been more than 15 years. If it was so easy to win a division, they would have done it a few times, especially with Kentucky in the other side.
10-21-2013 04:16 PM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
Just like us, they won't do it any more.
10-21-2013 04:39 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(10-21-2013 04:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  

Everyone who pooh-poohs our Division Championship, when is the last time Arkansas won one (I realize they no longer have divisions)? I would guess it has been more than 15 years. If it was so easy to win a division, they would have done it a few times, especially with Kentucky in the other side.

The big difference between winning a division title in the SBC and the SEC in almost all years is that winning the division title in the SEC got you in the NCAA tournament. Winning a division title in the SBC got you at most a banner in the gym. Pretty significant difference.
10-21-2013 06:17 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 06:17 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

The big difference between winning a division title in the SBC and the SEC in almost all years is that winning the division title in the SEC got you in the NCAA tournament. Winning a division title in the SBC got you at most a banner in the gym. Pretty significant difference.

There is no difference in the accomplishment. We are competing against teams at our level, they are competing with teams at their level. Beating your peers is what we are talking about. Whether the system is "fair" is a whole other issue.
10-21-2013 06:23 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 06:23 PM)mjs Wrote:  

There is no difference in the accomplishment. We are competing against teams at our level, they are competing with teams at their level. Beating your peers is what we are talking about. Whether the system is "fair" is a whole other issue.

The point is we're back to a division championship means nothing if it doesn't get some sort of reward of postseason for the teams and the fans. Feel all warm and fuzzy about those titles if you want. They mean zero to me because they got us nothing.
10-21-2013 06:30 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(10-21-2013 06:30 PM)PTJR Wrote:  The point is we're back to a division championship means nothing if it doesn't get some sort of reward of postseason for the teams and the fans. Feel all warm and fuzzy about those titles if you want. They mean zero to me because they got us nothing.

It gives Shields fans something to hang on to. Of course I'd rather win the division than to finish second or worse, but divisional banners don't mean much to me either.
10-21-2013 10:14 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 03:34 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  We have done well with transfers from higher level programs. Allan Barksdale, Shane Edwards, Brandon Patterson, Mike Smith and Solo come to mind. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I think that's a great way to add to our roster if we can get some of those kids who were good enough to sign with larger programs, and for whatever reason didn't stick.04-cheers

ReAnthony Saunders is not really a transfer. He played at Tulane as a freshman, but is at Pensacola Junior College this season.
10-21-2013 10:24 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 06:30 PM)PTJR Wrote:  

The point is we're back to a division championship means nothing if it doesn't get some sort of reward of postseason for the teams and the fans. Feel all warm and fuzzy about those titles if you want. They mean zero to me because they got us nothing.

Don't know about warm and fuzzy, but I certainly enjoyed winning those division titles. While unlike Vince Lombardi I don't believe winning is the "only thing", it certainly is more fun to finish in first. place.
10-21-2013 10:27 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

(10-21-2013 10:27 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 06:30 PM)PTJR Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 04:16 PM)mjs Wrote:  Everyone who pooh-poohs our Division Championship, when is the last time Arkansas won one (I realize they no longer have divisions)? I would guess it has been more than 15 years. If it was so easy to win a division, they would have done it a few times, especially with Kentucky in the other side.

Don't know about warm and fuzzy, but I certainly enjoyed winning those division titles. While unlike Vince Lombardi I don't believe winning is the "only thing", it certainly is more fun to finish in first. place.

Which in almost all of those division title years really meant 4th place give or take in the conference.
10-22-2013 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.