Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why this Cajun Fan is Upset
Bookmark and Share
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
Why this Cajun Fan is Upset
This is a partial list of facts that has this Cajun fan upset with the Sun Belt Conference:

1. We have been continually jacked around with basketball scheduling. As an example, WKU is the acknowledged lead program in SBC hoops. Over 70% of our games against the Hilltoppers in the last 15 years have been played in Bowling Green. Bias anyone?

2. Every year the Conference requests that each school tell the conference what their preferred athletic branding is. Every year the Cajuns respond that their preferred branding is 'Louisiana', which is, for those of you who might think otherwise, perfectly legal for us to use. The conference honors the branding request of every school in the Conference except one. Any guesses which one?

3. From the beginning of the conference through 2011, the conference did not share in bowl revenues. Every school that participated in a bowl kept whatever they made, if anything. After the Cajuns sold over 20K tickets through our ticket office for the 2011 New Orleans Bowl, the conference suddenly decided that it should share bowl revenues. When the Cajuns followed with even better ticket sales in 2012, we made expenses plus our proportionate share of the balance, a staggering loss of revenue compared to the prior year. Strange coincidence, Is it not?

4. Our Commissioners have been bumbling fools most of the time [See Tubby Waters 'memorandum of understanding' and Benson's handling of MTSU last year, which effectively kept them at home during bowl season without benefiting any other conference member.

There are other examples, but these are the ones that stick in my craw the most. I cannot speak for others.
10-21-2013 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Why this Cajun Fan is Upset
(10-21-2013 09:44 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  This is a partial list of facts that has this Cajun fan upset with the Sun Belt Conference:

1. We have been continually jacked around with basketball scheduling. As an example, WKU is the acknowledged lead program in SBC hoops. Over 70% of our games against the Hilltoppers in the last 15 years have been played in Bowling Green. Bias anyone?

2. Every year the Conference requests that each school tell the conference what their preferred athletic branding is. Every year the Cajuns respond that their preferred branding is 'Louisiana', which is, for those of you who might think otherwise, perfectly legal for us to use. The conference honors the branding request of every school in the Conference except one. Any guesses which one?

3. From the beginning of the conference through 2011, the conference did not share in bowl revenues. Every school that participated in a bowl kept whatever they made, if anything. After the Cajuns sold over 20K tickets through our ticket office for the 2011 New Orleans Bowl, the conference suddenly decided that it should share bowl revenues. When the Cajuns followed with even better ticket sales in 2012, we made expenses plus our proportionate share of the balance, a staggering loss of revenue compared to the prior year. Strange coincidence, Is it not?

4. Our Commissioners have been bumbling fools most of the time [See Tubby Waters 'memorandum of understanding' and Benson's handling of MTSU last year, which effectively kept them at home during bowl season without benefiting any other conference member.

There are other examples, but these are the ones that stick in my craw the most. I cannot speak for others.

You are hilarious...Thankfully you guys got our Clown Head Coach fired, but you do not remember Sun Belt refs letting you guys beat us with 6 guys to our 5 a couple of seasons ago?.....All your complaints went out the window with that debacle...And I have been accused of whining and complaining...03-hissyfit03-hissyfit
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 09:50 AM by WKUFan518.)
10-21-2013 09:49 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(10-21-2013 09:49 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 09:44 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  This is a partial list of facts that has this Cajun fan upset with the Sun Belt Conference:

You are hilarious...Thankfully you guys got our Clown Head Coach fired, but you do not remember Sun Belt refs letting you guys beat us with 6 guys to our 5 a couple of seasons ago?.....All your complaints went out the window with that debacle...And I have been accused of whining and complaining...03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

Incompetent refs is another thing on my list, but that one is so obvious that I didn't think it was worth mentioning.
10-21-2013 10:01 AM
BraveCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(10-21-2013 09:49 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  

You are comparing an isolated offense that rest's squarely on the refs to a lopsided schedule over the last 15 years. All logic went out the window with your comparison. Please by all means, continue your illogical whining and complaining!
10-21-2013 10:05 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(10-21-2013 09:44 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  2. Every year the Conference requests that each school tell the conference what their preferred athletic branding is. Every year the Cajuns respond that their preferred branding is 'Louisiana', which is, for those of you who might think otherwise, perfectly legal for us to use. The conference honors the branding request of every school in the Conference except one. Any guesses which one?

Is it perfectly legal for the school to use only University of Louisiana?
10-21-2013 10:08 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
So could UAb use only University of Alabama???04-chairshot
10-21-2013 10:15 AM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

1. You're wrong. Since 1998 there have been 12 meetings in Bowling Green and 9 meetings in Lafayette. That doesn't equal "over 70%".

2. How do you know this? Or you assume it like the "over 70%" thing?

3. Wouldn't the presidents have to vote on revenue sharing BEFORE the football season in order to do this?

Quit thinking the conference is out to get you. There are plenty of injustices to go around.
10-21-2013 10:27 AM
UL ROTC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: RAGIN CAJUNS
(10-21-2013 10:15 AM)Usajags Wrote:  So could UAb use only University of Alabama???04-chairshot

If the SBC ask them and we are stupid enough to allow it then yes, I hope that answer is stupid as your response and I will now refer to you as University Of Alabama Mobile. Only you not the rest of the Jag Nation.
10-21-2013 10:31 AM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
[Image: temper-tantrum.jpg]

Good representation of the OP in this thread? I think so.
10-21-2013 10:33 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-21-2013 10:31 AM)UL ROTC Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 10:15 AM)Usajags Wrote:  So could UAb use only University of Alabama???04-chairshot

If the SBC ask them and we are stupid enough to allow it then yes, I hope that answer is stupid as your response and I will now refer to you as University Of Alabama Mobile. Only you not the rest of the Jag Nation.

But that makes no sense, we are not a member of the University of Alabama system. We are our own university, we are THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA!!!
10-21-2013 10:35 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama

The difference is in Louisiana there are several school with city names. In Alabama The University of Alabama does not have a city designation. In other systems where all the schools share a city designation the dominant school goes by the name University of State.

So, in a world where UL Lafayette is the dominant school in the University of Louisiana system over any other with a city designation they can lay claim to the de facto University of Louisiana name using the same logic as others across the country like Texas or Tennessee.

Alabama is a completely different naming scheme.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 10:38 AM by HeartOfDixie.)
10-21-2013 10:37 AM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

There are quite a few people that do refer to the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa as such. It's mostly UAb fans, but they do it.01-wingedeagle

How does ULaLa determine they are the dominate school??? On field performance, on court performance, on diamond performance, in classroom performance??? What is the criteria???
10-21-2013 10:41 AM
slappycajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UL
I agree with some of the things the OP said. However, I think for the most part people here know Cajun fans aren't happy. No need to keep brining it up.
10-21-2013 10:47 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 10:41 AM)Usajags Wrote:  There are quite a few people that do refer to the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa as such. It's mostly UAb fans, but they do it.01-wingedeagle

How does ULaLa determine they are the dominate school??? On field performance, on court performance, on diamond performance, in classroom performance??? What is the criteria???

It's because of the butthurt. The University of Alabama's formal name is just that, the University of Alabama. The inferior schools in that particular system have city designations.

The criteria is probably all of the above. Is the University of Louisiana Lafayette a bigger, more successful, more research oriented schools over ULM? Yes.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 10:50 AM by HeartOfDixie.)
10-21-2013 10:50 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I think I just enjoy stirring the ULL fans up about this, it's so easy. You guys will fit right into the CUSA crowd. Sensitive bunch if I've ever seen one. 03-weeping
10-21-2013 10:53 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 10:53 AM)Usajags Wrote:  I think I just enjoy stirring the ULL fans up about this, it's so easy. You guys will fit right into the CUSA crowd. Sensitive bunch if I've ever seen one. 03-weeping

Well at least they have grown out of the directional moniker.
10-21-2013 10:56 AM
Advertisement

The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Speaking as a complete outsider, I'm guessing that UL-Monroe takes issue with your claims of being the dominate school. Would you be ok with UL Monroe demanding that you guys call them simply Louisiana? Would you take issue with them making claims of being dominate over you?
'
But let's say you were dominate right now in every category. What then if you "fell from grace" and the War Hawks had a larger enrollment, won 10 straight SBC titles in EVERY sport etc.? Would you be willing to surrender the "Louisiana" title based on their dominance?

Is it a matter of: "We asked first?" Because that still doesn't make it fair imop if ULM has objections.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe - what we are seeing is the conference not wanting to offend another member with objections to your request. I really don't know. But just because they ask you what you want, doesn't mean they are going to give you whatever you ask for just because it is legal. For example: When I ask my five year old what she wants for supper and her answer is "ice cream"... she ain't getting ice cream for supper even though it is legal.

But I'm fine with calling you Louisiana as long as ULM is ok with it.
10-21-2013 10:57 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(10-21-2013 10:56 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 10:53 AM)Usajags Wrote:  I think I just enjoy stirring the ULL fans up about this, it's so easy. You guys will fit right into the CUSA crowd. Sensitive bunch if I've ever seen one. 03-weeping

Welcome to the University of Southwestern Louisiana!!! 04-rock
10-21-2013 11:03 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 10:57 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  Speaking as a complete outsider, I'm guessing that UL-Monroe takes issue with your claims of being the dominate school. Would you be ok with UL Monroe demanding that you guys call them simply Louisiana? Would you take issue with them making claims of being dominate over you?
'
But let's say you were dominate right now in every category. What then if you "fell from grace" and the War Hawks had a larger enrollment, won 10 straight SBC titles in EVERY sport etc.? Would you be willing to surrender the "Louisiana" title based on their dominance?

Is it a matter of: "We asked first?" Because that still doesn't make it fair imop if ULM has objections.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe - what we are seeing is the conference not wanting to offend another member with objections to your request. I really don't know. But just because they ask you what you want, doesn't mean they are going to give you whatever you ask for just because it is legal. For example: When I ask my five year old what she wants for supper and her answer is "ice cream"... she ain't getting ice cream for supper even though it is legal.

But I'm fine with calling you Louisiana as long as ULM is ok with it.

Sure, I don't think there is much in the way of an overt attempt to shortchange ULM but only to recognize the level that Lafayette has achieved.

UL in Lafayette has the same general relationship with ULM as UT Austion does to UTSA. Sure, the gap is not as wide but the gap is considerable. UL Lafayette is considered a national university whereas ULM is not.

Again, not trying to shortchange ULM only give credit where it is due with UL Lafayatte.
10-21-2013 11:04 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 11:03 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 10:56 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Welcome to the University of Southwestern Louisiana!!! 04-rock

Which is now the dominant school to carry the name the University of Louisiana.
10-21-2013 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.