UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scrimmage
Blaza$wag Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Scrimmage
Anyone at the scrimmage want to give an update?
10-19-2013 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

RE: Scrimmage
Champln
UAB men's basketball holds Saturday morning scrimmage for public to see (video)
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...cart_river
10-19-2013 01:35 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

UABSports.com
Veterans And Newcomers Impress At UAB's Scrimmage
http://www.uabsports.com/sports/m-baskbl...13aab.html
10-19-2013 03:59 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
As I saw it, Frazier looked pretty good throughout, Watts was good in the 2nd half, Mehinti was pretty good but needs to put some bulk on to be really dominate on the inside but still good, Swing, well, was Swing especially late.
10-19-2013 04:08 PM
JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

It looked to me like the defense has a chance to be a lot better this year. There were some flashes of good offense in the second half. It's hard to tell too much with the veterans playing against the new guys.

I don't like that the officials are going to call even more fouls this year. The C-USA game already seems to grind to a halt sometimes with the number of questionable fouls called. It shouldn't be too bad if it's called consistently, but I don't have much faith in the ability of the C-USA officials to do that.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 04:30 PM by JeffUAB.)
10-19-2013 04:30 PM
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

(10-19-2013 04:30 PM)JeffUAB Wrote:  It shouldn't be too bad if it's called consistently, but I don't have much faith in the ability of the C-USA officials to do that.

We have our first preemptive "the refs suck" post of the basketball season. Let the games begin! Haha.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 01:18 PM by BlazerGrad88.)
10-20-2013 01:08 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(10-20-2013 01:08 PM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 04:30 PM)JeffUAB Wrote:  It shouldn't be too bad if it's called consistently, but I don't have much faith in the ability of the C-USA officials to do that.

We have our first preemptive "the refs suck" post of the basketball season. Let the games begin! Haha.

It's a legitimate concern. They actually changed the rules and more fouls will be called (at least in the beginning until players get used to not touching) in order to encourage more scoring. Based on the scrimmage, there's going to be A LOT of fouls this season...I'd say across the entire sport.
10-20-2013 02:09 PM
JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2013 01:08 PM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  

Haha. I actually have a lot of respect for the refs. It's a tremendously hard job that I couldn't do. However, I watch a ton of basketball from different conferences, and the C-USA refs are some of the more inconsistent. I've been at every UAB home game for the past few years and there are a few crews in particular that I dread seeing.

The rule change to add more fouls just give's the refs a greater influence on the outcome of the game. How bad that is is inversely proportional to the quality of the officiating.

Hopefully we have a little more depth this year so that foul trouble isn't as big of an issue. Just from a pure entertainment perspective, basketball is a lot more fun when the flow isn't broken up by a lot of fouls.
10-20-2013 06:14 PM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!
But, Yes... The refs do stink, especially in CUSA...
10-20-2013 07:30 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I for one am happy for the rule change. While initially more fouls will be called in the long run it will help the game. I have been screaming for this for a while. It's about time we get rugby out of basketball.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 08:10 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
10-20-2013 09:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

Actually, there's no such thing as "C-USA refs." There's just refs who call C-USA games. It's not like football in which the officials are affiliated with one conference. In basketball, the refs call games in multiple conferences, often varying from one game to the next.

For example, two of the better known refs who call UAB games are Duke Edsall and Steven Pyatt. Last year, Edsall called games in CUSA, Big 12, and MEAC. In his career, he has called games in 11 different conferences. Last year, Pyatt called games in CUSA, SoCon, Sun Belt, and Ohio Valley. He has called games in nine different conferences in his career.

One of the most recognizable refs in all college basketball is Ed Hightower. Last year, he called games in the Big 10, A-10, Missouri Valley, MAC, and Mountain West.

Fun facts/examples (just to belabor the point): The officiating crew for last year's UAB/Memphis game in Birmingham was Ted Hillary, Rick O'Neill, and Mark Schnur. The day before our game, O'Neill called the Utah State/San Jose State game in Logan, UT. Four days after our game, he called the Wyoming/Fresno State game in Fresno, CA. Three days before our game, Schnur called the Southern Illinois/Wichita State game in Wichita, KS. Four days after our game, he called the Temple/GW game in Washington, DC. This is typical of many college refs.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 09:16 PM by BlazerGrad88.)
10-20-2013 09:16 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Calling more fouls, and reviewing more calls is slowing the game to down to a crawl. It takes away from the ebb and flow. Most players like it when the refs let them play, as long as it is called fairly and consistently. There is so much stoppage of play now that neither team can get into a flow.

On the plus side this year, is that we have a good free throw shooting team. But as our team gets bigger, this will hurt us more.

The most disturbing change I see is the rule change that basically does away with the charge call.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 09:25 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
10-20-2013 09:23 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013 09:27 PM by WesternBlazer.)
10-20-2013 09:27 PM
JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

You're correct about the referees not being affiliated with a particular conference. The effect is often the same though since a conference will have at coordinator of officials who selects the officials for conference games. Different conferences traditionally have different officiating styles.

I think these rule changes could potentially help the flow of the game in the long run, but if they're called inconsistently it could be a nightmare... at least for a while. Still, it's something both teams will have to deal with. Whoever can be more flexible with their style of play will have the advantage.
10-20-2013 09:50 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I think it will help in the long run as I stated. The players will adjust but it will get rid of some of the wrestling that goes on now and bring us back to more pure basketball. I do agree about the charge - block changes. The charge call will become a rarity.
10-21-2013 08:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2013 09:08 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I for one am happy for the rule change. While initially more fouls will be called in the long run it will help the game. I have been screaming for this for a while. It's about time we get rugby out of basketball.

+1

You could see it progress from the late 90s until now. More and more physical play was allowed until it has gotten pretty bad. I think the NBA influence has trickled down, but now, the powers that be have realized how far we have strayed from where the game needs to be.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 08:18 AM by the Dragon.)
10-21-2013 08:15 AM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

(10-21-2013 08:10 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I think it will help in the long run as I stated. The players will adjust but it will get rid of some of the wrestling that goes on now and bring us back to more pure basketball. I do agree about the charge - block changes. The charge call will become a rarity.

You might actually see more charges out on the floor as defensive players try to use body position to slow down offensive players.
10-21-2013 08:22 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Why would they try to take the charge out of basketball? I also think there's too many fouls called and too many stoppages of play as it is.
10-21-2013 08:36 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
As to the actual scrimmage, did anyone shine from the PG position? Does anyone seem to have stepped up and taken the starting role yet?
10-21-2013 08:37 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

The team that won the second half seemed to be more in sync. I think it was Frazier, Swing, CJ, Foz, and Rucker as the 1st 5...
10-21-2013 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.