Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[ot] Wacha
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

I Root For: Rice Owls

Donators
[ot] Wacha
Michael Wacha from A&M beat the Dodgers today. The Cards go the World Series and Wacha is the MVP of the NLCS.

Wacha was drafted #19 (I think) by the Cards. The Dodgers had the #18 pick...
10-18-2013 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: [ot] Wacha
I believe they got Wacha with the compensatory pick the Cardinals received after Albert Pujols went to Anaheim. The Cardinals are just a winning organization.
10-18-2013 11:24 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Yes, the Cardinals have been good at having young players available to come in to replace the older players. The Cardinals were the first to have a farm system starting in the 1920s including the AA Houston Buffs.

(10-18-2013 11:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I believe they got Wacha with the compensatory pick the Cardinals received after Albert Pujols went to Anaheim. The Cardinals are just a winning organization.
10-18-2013 11:47 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(10-18-2013 11:24 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I believe they got Wacha with the compensatory pick the Cardinals received after Albert Pujols went to Anaheim. The Cardinals are just a winning organization.

That is true. It was the Pujols compensatory pick.

The Wacha thing has been absolutely unreal. He was very good at A&M but nothing like this. He has an 0.41 ERA and .114 BA in three post-season starts - after throwing a no-hitter for 8 2/3 in his last regular season start. And - he didn't really join the rotation until August.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 12:05 AM by Orange County Owl.)
10-18-2013 11:51 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-18-2013 11:47 PM)75src Wrote:  Yes, the Cardinals have been good at having young players available to come in to replace the older players. The Cardinals were the first to have a farm system starting in the 1920s including the AA Houston Buffs.

And one of the latest guys to maintain and grow that farm system is now running the Astros. It won't be much longer until long-suffering 'Stros fans see the fruits of the newly refurbished farm system. Thanks Mssr Luhnow 04-cheers
10-19-2013 08:09 AM
Advertisement

WeatherfordOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-19-2013 08:09 AM)Da.Owl Wrote:  And one of the latest guys to maintain and grow that farm system is now running the Astros. It won't be much longer until long-suffering 'Stros fans see the fruits of the newly refurbished farm system. Thanks Mssr Luhnow 04-cheers

This is a little OT, but it relates. In our business where I work, there aren't a lot of folks around for hire who are really aware of what we do and how we do it. So on many occasions we end up scrambling without all the necessary staff. And there is a security clearance involved, which can be gotten in about a year or less, although a lot of stuff doesn't require it. We are usually forced to start with people fresh out of college and train them for several years prior to them being self-sufficient, as much as anyone ever is. Perhaps it is that way in most lines of business, I don't know. We do have a coop program and some departments use it. But when I was a hiring manager the department I was in had never really gone down that road. So I tried and tried to get our team leaders to work with me on establishing a "farm system" of sorts to bring in college folks as coop students to get them more established and hopefully interest them in a long term career in our business. Nothing doing. I couldn't get those team leads to try to figure out how to use a young person who didn't already have their engineering degree. Which was a bit ridiculous I thought because they would beg me to hire people who were already out of school with degrees like PE and education, then try to train them to impersonate engineers. I always had the notion that those team leaders just didn't want to hire anyone who could challenge them technically. They all wanted their own fiefdom, with them as the witch doctor.
10-19-2013 08:52 AM
gmath Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Owls and Horns
(10-18-2013 11:19 PM)grol Wrote:  Michael Wacha from A&M beat the Dodgers today. The Cards go the World Series and Wacha is the MVP of the NLCS.

Wacha was drafted #19 (I think) by the Cards. The Dodgers had the #18 pick...

Remember the night at MMC in 2011 when Kubitza beat Wacha and the Ags 1-0? Truly awesome game. Link to box score from Rice bsaeball archives:
http://www.riceowls.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos...oxScoreAM1
10-19-2013 11:53 AM
grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(10-19-2013 11:53 AM)gmath Wrote:  Remember the night at MMC in 2011 when Kubitza beat Wacha and the Ags 1-0? Truly awesome game. Link to box score from Rice bsaeball archives:

Thanks for the link. 1-0 over the Ags!

It's like OCO said. He was good at A&M, but who would have thought that less than 2 years later he is the winning pitcher, MVP and helps his team win the NL pennant.
10-19-2013 12:15 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-19-2013 12:15 PM)grol Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 11:53 AM)gmath Wrote:  Remember the night at MMC in 2011 when Kubitza beat Wacha and the Ags 1-0? Truly awesome game. Link to box score from Rice bsaeball archives:

Thanks for the link. 1-0 over the Ags!

It's like OCO said. He was good at A&M, but who would have thought that less than 2 years later he is the winning pitcher, MVP and helps his team win the NL pennant.

Actually, he had on great, all-american season for the Aggies. His first two seasons were nothing special. Bottom line-- he developed the changeup to go along with his fastball and curve, and that suddenly catapulted him up a couple levels overnight (or over one productive Summer).
10-19-2013 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.