Bookmark and Share
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
US Bank Arena info
UC Health strikes deal to be team doctor for Cyclones hockey, arena performers

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ne...tml?page=2

UC Health strikes deal to be team doctor for Cyclones hockey, arena performers
"Kremchek said he spoke by phone recently with Harris, the chief operating officer of U.S. Bank Arena, and was told the medical service provided by Beacon wasn’t the issue. The arena hopes the deal with UC Health will lead to the UC Bearcats basketball team playing games there, Kremchek said he was told."

10-17-2013 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
RE: US Bank Arena info
That there is a lot of smoke...good find.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 02:51 PM by Bearcat2012.)
10-17-2013 02:49 PM
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
THAT WOULD be awful! maybe if they want to tear it down and build the P&G Center and then rob the tax payers like Mike Brown and then give it to UC I might consider it...otherwise NOT

10-17-2013 02:58 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Doubt it will have any effect unless someone first ponies up big bucks to renovate the dump. UCHealth also has naming rights for the Florence Freedom stadium, but I don't see UC moving baseball games to Kentucky anytime soon...

10-17-2013 02:58 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(10-17-2013 02:58 PM)Bearcat T Wrote:  THAT WOULD be awful! maybe if they want to tear it down and build the P&G Center and then rob the tax payers like Mike Brown and then give it to UC I might consider it...otherwise NOT

I am sure a pretty significant renovation would have to be agreed to.
US Bank Arena ownership, the City, County etc., they all want a shot at NCAA Tourney Games, better concert performers, etc.

10-17-2013 03:07 PM
cinbinsportsfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-17-2013 03:07 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 02:58 PM)Bearcat T Wrote:  THAT WOULD be awful! maybe if they want to tear it down and build the P&G Center and then rob the tax payers like Mike Brown and then give it to UC I might consider it...otherwise NOT

I am sure a pretty significant renovation would have to be agreed to.
US Bank Arena ownership, the City, County etc., they all want a shot at NCAA Tourney Games, better concert performers, etc.

Agreed. I doubt Whit Babcock would even consider hearing a pitch to move the program downtown if and ONLY if US Bank Arena undergoing a significant renovation was in the proposal.

10-17-2013 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Not gonna happen guys. The merchants and bar owners on Calhoun and McMillian would make a big stink about it. U square is a great place now to hang out. It would be a big mistake. IF they want NCAA games, we need more hotel space, better hotel space.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 04:01 PM by Vewb1.)
10-17-2013 04:00 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
When Whit gets asked about it, he always seems to say, if someone outside of UC finds big bucks to fix that up in a big way to turn it into UC's Yum Center, they would have to entertain it. I just don't see that happening.

10-17-2013 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(10-17-2013 04:00 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Not gonna happen guys. The merchants and bar owners on Calhoun and McMillian would make a big stink about it. U square is a great place now to hang out. It would be a big mistake. IF they want NCAA games, we need more hotel space, better hotel space.

Totally wrong Vew. The arena can't get a sniff because it is dated and
not up to modern standards. There are plenty of hotel rooms, and new hotel
inventory forthcoming. U Square is a success with or without bball being played at 5/3.

10-17-2013 04:39 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2013 04:39 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 04:00 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  Not gonna happen guys. The merchants and bar owners on Calhoun and McMillian would make a big stink about it. U square is a great place now to hang out. It would be a big mistake. IF they want NCAA games, we need more hotel space, better hotel space.

Totally wrong Vew. The arena can't get a sniff because it is dated and
not up to modern standards. There are plenty of hotel rooms, and new hotel
inventory forthcoming. U Square is a success with or without bball being played at 5/3.

I seem to remember businesses on Calhoun having fits when homecoming was moved to PBS in 2011. Losing 20+ basketball games and shifting the fans downtown will have an effect on their income over the course of a season.
The Banks already has two major professional sports franchises and a minor one. Throw a bone to uptown.

10-17-2013 04:51 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

It is bigger than a few merchants in Clifton,

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ne...-ncaa.html
Cincinnati has submitted bids to host a dozen future NCAA championship events and soon will bid to host NCAA men’s basketball tournament games for the first time in more than two decades.

The Cincinnati Business Courier, a sister publication to Business First, is reporting that a collaborative group made up of area university athletic directors, sports facilities and the Greater Cincinnati Sports Corp. issued the bid as part of a concerted effort to draw more big college events to the city.

Cincinnati has not hosted any NCAA title events since 1997.

Among the other events Cincinnati is requesting are Division I women’s basketball tournament games in 2015 and Division I men’s hockey tournament games in 2016 and 2018.

The city also bid on the 2016 Division II Sports Festival, which includes championships in several sports. The festival previously has been held in Louisville

http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/uc-plac...f6878.html
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Joshua Miller | Sports Editor | 0 comments

Cincinnati has sent a clear message that the city plans to once again be a major player when it comes to hosting NCAA Championship events.

The Cincinnati Collegiate and Community Collaborative, a group comprised of athletic directors from Miami University, the University of Cincinnati and Xavier University, as well as officials from the Greater Cincinnati Sports Corp., Cincinnati USA Convention & Visitors Bureau, the Western & Southern Open tennis tournament and U.S. Bank Arena, have submitted bids for Cincinnati to host 12 future NCAA championship events. The group will soon submit an additional bid to host early-round NCAA men’s basketball tournament games for the first time in more than two decades.

Although Xavier hosted early-round women’s NCAA tournament games in 2010 and 2011, the City of Cincinnati has not hosted an NCAA championship since 1997 when UC hosted the women’s Final Four.

“We identified that going after NCAA championships would be a really good thing for the city because of our Division I institutions,” said Jackie Reau, chair of the Greater Cincinnati Sports Corp. “It’s an unprecedented time with NCAA championship bids. In June the NCAA released 550 [bids] for their 89 annual championships over the next four years. So if we weren’t in the bid process, we’d have been locked out for the next

four years.”

The collaborative effort to attain bids began in June and didn’t cease until Monday, when all final bids were due to the NCAA. The group was fortunate enough to have additional expertise from the NCAA level, as they tried to best position Cincinnati’s bids for success.

“A study was conducted by an individual from TSE Consulting, based out of Indianapolis, but she was previously an employee of the NCAA, in championship events specifically,” said Leslie Spencer, the Greater Cincinnati Sports Corp.’s executive director. “She’s had the expertise and the experience around these particular championships to help us identify. So we used her skill set and experience managing these events to help us identify — based on our facilities — which bids made the most sense for us.

The NCAA’s newly adapted four-year bid cycle means that all host cites through the 2019 NCAA championships will be decided in the current bid process. Cincinnati had to prepare well in advance or risk not hosting any events until at least 2020.

“It was very strategic, we knew that this was happening and we wanted to make sure that we had our best foot forward to capture our fair share — based on our facilities and our market — of what we could potentially host,” Spencer said. “It was a strategic move by the board to conduct that in partnership with the Cincinnati USA CBB.”

All five regional universities were involved in the bidding process and the facilities audit, as well as agreeing to terms of which universities would be

the host.

Of the bids, the Division I Men’s and Women’s Tennis (2015, 2017, 2018), Division I Women’s Lacrosse (2016, 2017, 2018) and the 2016 Division II Sports Festival, which includes tennis, golf, lacrosse and softball, were made with UC as the proposed host.

Although hosting NCAA championships outside of football and basketball doesn’t necessarily translate into major financial gains, the exposure of UC’s campus and possible television coverage could be crucial for UC’s continued growth.

For UC, the prospect of hosting the women’s lacrosse championships could prove to be a showcasing for the completion of the Nippert Stadium renovations, in addition to the entire Lindner Varsity Village Project.

“I think UC will always be a part of our strategies to host NCAA events, as it makes sense for the facilities,” Reau said. “For instance, we’ve applied to host the women’s lacrosse championships, which would be at Nippert Stadium. That would be a huge deal for UC, the program and the city.”

In addition to the 12 bids the group placed on the cities behalf Monday, a recent bid for Cincinnati to host future American Athletic Conference baseball tournaments also included UC’s Marge Schott Stadium.

There is no indication of which bid UC has the best chance of acquiring, Reau said, but there is certainly no shortage of competition. The NCAA received more than 3,000 letters to bid on 550 events over four years.

UC should know, one way or another if they’ve been accepted as a host city for any of their bids, or for the yet to be determined bids for Cincinnati to host early-round NCAA men’s basketball tournament games by the end of this year.

“There’s no set timeline, but what [The NCAA] has said is that the committee will meet pretty quickly, narrow the bids down to finalists and then the committee will make site visits to the finalists’ facilities. We should know probably by the end of the year.”

Nearly two decades removed from hosting an NCAA finals event, the City of Cincinnati is overdue for a major collegiate event. Reau and the rest of the collaborative hope that their recent work propels Cincinnati into the forefront of event hosting for years to come.

“We’ve done all the hard work, so now we know what facilities are positioned best for future bids,” Reau said. “We were very aggressive in our bid strategy, to go after as many bids that made sense for our facilities and member institutions. Submitting 12 bids was a lot of bids, but very well worth it in terms of trying to re-establish Cincinnati as a great host city for athletics.”

10-17-2013 04:57 PM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Online
Heisman

Yea I honestly care more about targeting the larger prize of assimilating more with the entire city of Cincinnati than with a few upset bar owners in Clifton.

10-17-2013 05:16 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(10-17-2013 04:00 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  IF they want NCAA games, we need more hotel space, better hotel space.

Nope, the biggest issue in not getting NCAA events is the lack of media space and modern amenities behind the scenes in US Bank Arena.

10-17-2013 05:51 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(10-17-2013 05:16 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Yea I honestly care more about targeting the larger prize of assimilating more with the entire city of Cincinnati than with a few upset bar owners in Clifton.

Bingo! And a ticket into the big leagues.

10-17-2013 06:34 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2013 05:16 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Yea I honestly care more about targeting the larger prize of assimilating more with the entire city of Cincinnati than with a few upset bar owners in Clifton.

Last time I checked, main campus is in the city of Cincinnati. What is there to "assimilate"? I would think the school wants people to experience the World class beautiful main campus, not bar hop downtown. I can see how it benefits places like UL, where it's basically a powerhouse athletic program with a commuter school on a crappy nondescript campus attached to it. That's not the case here. Further development of the area around our campus by having consistent high draw events at the school like college basketball and football is better for the interests of the university.
The experiment of trying to move football and basketball downtown has already been tried here and found to be dismal failures.

10-17-2013 08:20 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(10-17-2013 05:51 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 04:00 PM)Vewb1 Wrote:  IF they want NCAA games, we need more hotel space, better hotel space.

Nope, the biggest issue in not getting NCAA events is the lack of media space and modern amenities behind the scenes in US Bank Arena.

Correct. There was a convention a couple of years ago in Cincy that
took 24,000 hotel rooms. Hotels are a non issue.

10-17-2013 08:23 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(10-17-2013 08:20 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

Last time I checked, main campus is in the city of Cincinnati. What is there to "assimilate"? I would think the school wants people to experience the World class beautiful main campus, not bar hop downtown. I can see how it benefits places like UL, where it's basically a powerhouse athletic program with a commuter school on a crappy nondescript campus attached to it. That's not the case here. Further development of the area around our campus by having consistent high draw events at the school like college basketball and football is better for the interests of the university.
The experiment of trying to move football and basketball downtown has already been tried here and found to be dismal failures.

That was a long time ago. At that time both programs were not good, fan support was equally as bad.

10-17-2013 08:26 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I want basketball to stay on campus but UC would be foolish not explore every option. The city itself would benefit greatly from a modern arena downtown. In many ways I wish UC would have taken care of teh basketball program when they were in the Big East. I don't believe Mick has had a whole lot help bringing the program back from trash heap.

10-17-2013 08:30 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(10-17-2013 08:30 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I want basketball to stay on campus but UC would be foolish not explore every option. The city itself would benefit greatly from a modern arena downtown. In many ways I wish UC would have taken care of teh basketball program when they were in the Big East. I don't believe Mick has had a whole lot help bringing the program back from trash heap.

I am fine with UC at 5/3, but they are running an annual debt service of about
80 Million a year paying off all of the recent construction projects.
That is not sustainable, it is scary.

10-17-2013 08:34 PM
cinbinsportsfan Online
Heisman

(10-17-2013 08:20 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

College football and college basketball are far different animals.

10-17-2013 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.