Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice for the Hawaii Bowl ?
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
Rice for the Hawaii Bowl ?
Early discussions have Rice vs either Boise St or UNLV . They like the Texas market
10-16-2013 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JOwl Offline
sum guy

I Root For: Rice

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Rice for the Hawaii Bowl ?
(10-16-2013 04:53 PM)HawaiiOwl Wrote:  Early discussions have Rice vs either Boise St or UNLV . They like the Texas market

Liberty or bust, man.
10-16-2013 05:16 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
If we don't end up in the Liberty, would really like a Big 10 matchup in Dallas.
10-17-2013 06:33 AM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
This was on the C-USA thread....current projections. None of the 'experts' sees us in Liberty.

ESPN:
Liberty: Marshall vs. Ole Miss
Liberty: Marshall vs. Missouri
Military: East Carolina vs. Pittsburgh
Military: Rice vs. Duke
Hawaii: East Carolina vs. UNLV
Hawaii: Middle Tennessee vs. Utah State
Heart of Dallas: North Texas vs. Iowa
Heart of Dallas: North Texas vs. Indiana
Beef O'Brady's: Rice vs. Toledo
Beef O'Brady's: Middle Tennessee vs. Buffalo
New Orleans: Tulane vs. Western Kentucky
New Orleans: Tulane vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

SBNation:
Liberty: Marshall vs. Ole Miss
Military: Rice vs. Toledo
Hawaii: East Carolina vs. San Diego State
Poinsettia: Middle Tennessee vs. Boise State
Beef O'Brady's: North Texas vs. Arkansas State

Scout:
Liberty: Marshall vs. Vanderbilt
Military: East Carolina vs. North Carolina State
Beef O'Brady's: Middle Tennessee vs. Toledo
Heart of Dallas: Rice vs. Iowa
Hawaii: North Texas vs. Colorado State

CBS Sports:
Liberty: Marshall vs. Tennessee
Heart of Dallas: Rice vs. Louisiana-Monroe
Military: Tulsa vs. North Carolina
Beef O'Brady's: East Carolina vs. Toledo
Hawaii: Middle Tennessee vs. Wyoming
10-17-2013 07:07 AM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(10-17-2013 07:07 AM)owl40 Wrote:  This was on the C-USA thread....current projections. None of the 'experts' sees us in Liberty...

Then let us be contrarians and go there! 03-wink

I suspect I could tolerate Memphis on New Year's Eve.
10-17-2013 08:20 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Whatever bowl we're in, I'll probably unfortunately miss. I'm doing one of my bucket list things and going to Antarctica. Gone 20 Dec through 05 Jan.
10-17-2013 08:25 AM
Advertisement

Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-17-2013 08:25 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Whatever bowl we're in, I'll probably unfortunately miss. I'm doing one of my bucket list things and going to Antarctica. Gone 20 Dec through 05 Jan.

What? In the middle of winter? Oh, wait....
10-17-2013 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidw Offline
Special Teams

(10-17-2013 08:25 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Whatever bowl we're in, I'll probably unfortunately miss. I'm doing one of my bucket list things and going to Antarctica. Gone 20 Dec through 05 Jan.

At least it will be summer down there
10-17-2013 08:35 AM
OwlAg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Liberty Bowl is the easiest for me. 5 minute drive down East Parkway.
10-17-2013 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
(10-17-2013 06:33 AM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  If we don't end up in the Liberty, would really like a Big 10 matchup in Dallas.

I'm with you. If we go to, but lose the championship game, I want Dallas against a Big 10 school
10-17-2013 11:15 AM
owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Rice vs. Duke in the Military Bowl would have the best national ramifications I think, as the theme would certainly be "The Brains Bowl", or something like that, with a focus on the intelligence of both the student body and the athletes in both schools. All the other projected match-ups look dreadful to me.
10-17-2013 11:53 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl

Who's projected to be in that bowl?
10-17-2013 12:08 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(10-17-2013 11:53 AM)owlsfan Wrote:  Rice vs. Duke in the Military Bowl would have the best national ramifications I think, as the theme would certainly be "The Brains Bowl", or something like that, with a focus on the intelligence of both the student body and the athletes in both schools. All the other projected match-ups look dreadful to me.

Rice v Iowa and Rice v Boise sound good to me.

Assuming we win, of course.
10-17-2013 12:36 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(10-17-2013 12:36 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 11:53 AM)owlsfan Wrote:  Rice vs. Duke in the Military Bowl would have the best national ramifications I think, as the theme would certainly be "The Brains Bowl", or something like that, with a focus on the intelligence of both the student body and the athletes in both schools. All the other projected match-ups look dreadful to me.

The W is the important thing.

While it would be better to beat a Big 10 team or ACC team than a MAC or other non-BCS school . . .

Beating anyone handily is better than taking a double digit loss. Holy Toledo.

Heck, any W is better than a non-competitive loss.

If you could see into the future, you would always know the right decisions to make. (a point demonstrated in our baseball threads ad nauseum from time to time)
10-17-2013 01:01 PM
Seventyniner Offline
1st String

I've heard of going south for the winter, but isn't that a little extreme?
10-17-2013 01:05 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-17-2013 01:01 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  

While it would be better to beat a Big 10 team or ACC team than a MAC or other non-BCS school . . .

If you could see into the future, you would always know the right decisions to make. (a point demonstrated in our baseball threads ad nauseum from time to time)

I would rather play a challenging game that will generate coverage, that is winnable, and would like to see Rice meet and conquer that challenge. IMHO, Troy, WMU, and AFA are not desirable opponents in a bowl, but Rice had not done enough to demonstrate that we warrant better opposition. This time around, Rice will be in back-to-back bowls and I hope can get a better opponent.
10-17-2013 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(10-17-2013 01:29 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(10-17-2013 01:01 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  

I would rather play a challenging game that will generate coverage, that is winnable, and would like to see Rice meet and conquer that challenge. IMHO, Troy, WMU, and AFA are not desirable opponents in a bowl, but Rice had not done enough to demonstrate that we warrant better opposition. This time around, Rice will be in back-to-back bowls and I hope can get a better opponent.

I don't necessarily disagree, but everything you say about Troy, WMU, etc can be said about us. What if (hypothetically) Toledo were 12-0 for example and drew an 11-2 Rice?

My point was that any opponent could be the 'right' opponent depending on what the alternative is or becomes.

The hard part is not knowing what the final outcome is going to be. That's why teams actually show up and play, instead of focusing on hypothetical 'what ifs' based on ratings or transitive results analysis.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 02:12 PM by Rick Gerlach.)
10-17-2013 02:07 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-17-2013 02:07 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  I don't necessarily disagree, but everything you say about Troy, WMU, etc can be said about us. What if (hypothetically) Toledo were 12-0 for example and drew an 11-2 Rice?

But a game against "us", even 12-0 "us" isn't what we are or should be after.

Obviously we don't think 11-2 "us" (Troy, WMU etc) would have been 11-2 in the SEC... Would we have been 2-11 or 6-6? I can't answer that and neither can anyone else... however...

12-0 Toledo playing Rice in a bowl probably doesn't have any signature wins... otherwise they wouldn't be playing Rice... and while beating another team with no signature victories is better than losing to them, it isn't as good as beating even a 6-6 team with a few signature victories or very close games against very good (AQ) opponents. IMO, and I admit it is debatable, but beating hypothetical 6-6 Texas Tech or Auburn (a regional or national name team having a bad season) even if all of their victories are against non AQ, sub 50 teams is preferable to beating hypothetical 12-0 Toledo with no games against top 50 teams.

The difference in perception between AQ and non-AQ is so wide that our Champion is pegged against a likely 0.500 AQ team with up to 4 of their victories over non-AQ teams and 6 or so losses to AQ teams.
10-17-2013 02:32 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-17-2013 02:07 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  I don't necessarily disagree, but everything you say about Troy, WMU, etc can be said about us. What if (hypothetically) Toledo were 12-0 for example and drew an 11-2 Rice?

My point was that any opponent could be the 'right' opponent depending on what the alternative is or becomes.

The hard part is not knowing what the final outcome is going to be. That's why teams actually show up and play, instead of focusing on hypothetical 'what ifs' based on ratings or transitive results analysis.

It depends on how good they are how good they are perceived to be.

Troy was a bad draw for Rice, but Rice was probably a worse draw for Troy. USC was a good draw for TCU 15 years ago, but TCU was an awful draw for USC. 5 or 10 years later, that would not have been the case (assuming a similar strength of USC team ... IIRC both teams improved greatly in that timeframe).

The risk of drawing someone like Iowa, or Indiana, or West Virginia is that Rice could find themselves on the wrong side of a blowout. But, the upside of winning a game like that is worth the risk of a setback like that. The benefit of blowing out WMU (another name for Toledo in most circles) is just not very substantial, even if they were to have similar Sagarin/BCS rankings of a Big Ten school.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 03:07 PM by I45owl.)
10-17-2013 03:06 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(10-17-2013 03:06 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

It depends on how good they are how good they are perceived to be.

Troy was a bad draw for Rice, but Rice was probably a worse draw for Troy. USC was a good draw for TCU 15 years ago, but TCU was an awful draw for USC. 5 or 10 years later, that would not have been the case (assuming a similar strength of USC team ... IIRC both teams improved greatly in that timeframe).

The risk of drawing someone like Iowa, or Indiana, or West Virginia is that Rice could find themselves on the wrong side of a blowout. But, the upside of winning a game like that is worth the risk of a setback like that. The benefit of blowing out WMU (another name for Toledo in most circles) is just not very substantial, even if they were to have similar Sagarin/BCS rankings of a Big Ten school.

I agree with that last statement. We risk getting blown out by an Iowa, but winning a bowl against them would be huge.

I slightly disagree about last year though, talking to my fellow co-workers who are casual College FB fans, they thought the Armed Forces Bowl victory against AFA was quite credible due to both the reputation of the bowl and the reputation of AFA(even if they were not that good last year). The remark was made to me that it was certainly better than playing in something like the Beef O Brady bowl or some of the cheesy named bowls.
10-17-2013 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.