Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did North Carolina's fan base prefer the SEC to the B1G?
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Did North Carolina's fan base prefer the SEC to the B1G?
Given that the ACC and UNC are now stable this is a moot point in terms of broader implications for realignment, but I found this blurb from the Charlotte Observer article talking about the threat the ACC faced in the days after Maryland's departure interesting. I've heard many times that UNC considers itself a much more sophisticated and progressive institution than the SEC schools and therefore its supporters would rather join the B1G than SEC. But this exchange, though not a scientific sample, indicates otherwise:

"The emails – many coming after UNC fans on the message boards at InsideCarolina.com organized a push to fill Cunningham’s inbox – shared roughly the same sentiment: Lead the Tar Heels out of the crumbling ACC, to a better place. The overwhelming majority of fans preferred moving to the SEC. Among the more than 150 pages of emails that Cunningham received in the 10 days after Maryland’s announcement, only one email favored joining the Big Ten."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/10/3...rylink=cpy
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 06:50 AM by quo vadis.)
10-13-2013 06:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lofi Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
RE: Did North Carolina's fan base prefer the SEC to the B1G?
(10-13-2013 06:48 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Given that the ACC and UNC are now stable this is a moot point in terms of broader implications for realignment, but I found this blurb from the Charlotte Observer article talking about the threat the ACC faced in the days after Maryland's departure interesting. I've heard many times that UNC considers itself a much more sophisticated and progressive institution than the SEC schools and therefore its supporters would rather join the B1G than SEC. But this exchange, though not a scientific sample, indicates otherwise:

"The emails – many coming after UNC fans on the message boards at InsideCarolina.com organized a push to fill Cunningham’s inbox – shared roughly the same sentiment: Lead the Tar Heels out of the crumbling ACC, to a better place. The overwhelming majority of fans preferred moving to the SEC. Among the more than 150 pages of emails that Cunningham received in the 10 days after Maryland’s announcement, only one email favored joining the Big Ten."

These emails were from fans not academia types.
Don't you think a fanbase would want their team to play at the highest level?
No offense to the B10 but currently the SEC is a better foootball conference as the results of the last decade show.
Now if you're talking basketball.........
10-13-2013 07:08 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(10-13-2013 06:48 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Given that the ACC and UNC are now stable this is a moot point in terms of broader implications for realignment, but I found this blurb from the Charlotte Observer article talking about the threat the ACC faced in the days after Maryland's departure interesting. I've heard many times that UNC considers itself a much more sophisticated and progressive institution than the SEC schools and therefore its supporters would rather join the B1G than SEC. But this exchange, though not a scientific sample, indicates otherwise:

I think the emphasis was on the word "crumbling". The panic those UNC fans were expressing doesn't really tell us whether they prefer the SEC over a stable ACC. I doubt that UNC fans in places like Virginia & places north as well as South Florida would prefer the SEC, which would only make it harder for them to see games.
10-13-2013 07:52 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Why is it difficult to believe that those UNC fans wanted no part of the Big Ten?
10-13-2013 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
Those UNC fans believed that the ACC was falling apart, and if we had to leave we would prefer SEC over B1G. The majority of fans, players, alumni, faculty, administrators preferred the ACC.
10-13-2013 08:50 AM
CK42NC Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNC
I prefer the ACC first and forever but if it fell I would rather be in the SEC.
It would still feels more regional Tenn, SC, Ga, FL, etc
not like Mich, Wis, Iowa etc
Money aside, UNC has that already.
10-13-2013 09:01 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I'm not a UNC fan but I'm guessing most fans would prefer the SEC. I think the academics would prefer the B1G.
10-13-2013 09:14 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-13-2013 08:30 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Why is it difficult to believe that those UNC fans wanted no part of the Big Ten?
Because it's not what they want to hear. People want to hear whatever will support their favorite expansion scenario...

I thought you'd have figured that out by now, Terry... 07-coffee3
10-13-2013 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
If asked most UNC fans would rather be in the conference that has the best basketball which is hands down the ACC. Secondly we would rather be in the conference that has Duke, UVA, Clemson and probably State as well. Just because of longtime traditions we hold closer than does Maryland.

If anything happened to the ACC I would prefer the SEC, but I'd like Duke to come along
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 10:35 AM by westmc9th.)
10-13-2013 10:34 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(10-13-2013 10:34 AM)westmc9th Wrote:  If asked most UNC fans would rather be in the conference that has the best basketball which is hands down the ACC. Secondly we would rather be in the conference that has Duke, UVA, Clemson and probably State as well. Just because of longtime traditions we hold closer than does Maryland.

If anything happened to the ACC I would prefer the SEC, but I'd like Duke to come along

Commit to coming to the SEC if Duke is also invited and we'll see what we can do. 04-rock
10-13-2013 11:08 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(10-13-2013 10:01 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(10-13-2013 08:30 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Why is it difficult to believe that those UNC fans wanted no part of the Big Ten?
Because it's not what they want to hear. People want to hear whatever will support their favorite expansion scenario...

Lol. Who said that I had not?
10-13-2013 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(10-13-2013 10:34 AM)westmc9th Wrote:  If asked most UNC fans would rather be in the conference that has the best basketball which is hands down the ACC. Secondly we would rather be in the conference that has Duke, UVA, Clemson and probably State as well. Just because of longtime traditions we hold closer than does Maryland.

And that's why UNC isn't coming to the SEC. The SEC doesn't want Duke. I think, given UNC's insistence on Duke, that NCST is more likely than UNC at this point.
10-13-2013 12:27 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(10-13-2013 12:12 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(10-13-2013 10:01 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Lol. Who said that I had not?
Just checking... 04-cheers
10-13-2013 12:44 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
The question is an interesting one.......if you prefer football the obvious choice is the SEC. However, basketball is much better in the B1G. The decision comes down to where you want to play most of your games. I prefer the south so the SEC would get the vote.
10-13-2013 01:38 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Not difficult for me to believe, hut i have been told over and over about the alleged UNC affinity for the B1G.
10-13-2013 01:43 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I live in Indiana. IU and it's fans want no part of The Big Ten but they know they have no other options. IU fans know when coming technology kills the BTN the bloated athletic departments of the conference will suffer. It's no surprise UNC fans feel the same way. The Big Ten is dead conference walking.
CJ
10-13-2013 01:51 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I would welcome Duke to get UNC to join.

Two more great academic schools and SEC basketball gets a huge boost

(though admittedly thats coming from someones whose school will never be a factor in SEC mens basketball more than once every 20 years so its not like more competition there would hurt us)
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 01:59 PM by 10thMountain.)
10-13-2013 01:55 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(10-13-2013 12:27 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

And that's why UNC isn't coming to the SEC. The SEC doesn't want Duke. I think, given UNC's insistence on Duke, that NCST is more likely than UNC at this point.

I bet the SEC would love to add Duke and UNC as a package. 07-coffee3
10-13-2013 01:56 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(10-13-2013 01:51 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I live in Indiana. IU and it's fans want no part of The Big Ten but they know they have no other options. IU fans know when coming technology kills the BTN the bloated athletic departments of the conference will suffer. It's no surprise UNC fans feel the same way. The Big Ten is dead conference walking.
CJ

05-stirthepot This so true for the Rust Belt Conference. First bankruptcy is Detroit and next is the Big! 07-coffee3
10-13-2013 02:11 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(10-13-2013 01:56 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-13-2013 12:27 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I bet the SEC would love to add Duke and UNC as a package. 07-coffee3

Agreed. Getting Duke and UNC hoops would be a huge addition for the SEC Network, given how many basketball games end up on the conference networks. SECN would get an average of about one game/week from each team during the hoops regular season (with the balance of the games on the ESPN channels and maybe a small number of games sublicensed to broadcast TV).
10-13-2013 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.