Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

E-Cigarette Controversy
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
E-Cigarette Controversy
My wife and I quit smoking the day after Labor Day due to money and the fact we are trying for child #2. We used the patch for a week and the wife bought an e cig kit online so ditched the patch and started using e-cigs, which helped take the edge off immensely and I can use them in my car, house, and office without stinking it up. After buying one on Saturday and killing it on Sunday, it hit me that I was spending just as much money on these things than I was on real cigarettes so I stopped buying them. This time, no issues and very few cravings.

I just read a Time article and saw that Nanny Bloomburg is apparently going after e cigs.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/10/tim...bloomberg/

Dug deeper and apparently they are controversial and people want them banned even though scientists agree they are safer.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/health/e-c...index.html
http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/alarm-bells...igarettes/

Anyone else have any luck using these to help quit and anyone want to defend the Bloomburgs of the world who want to ban it?
10-10-2013 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: E-Cigarette Controversy
E-cigs still have nicotine, right? So, is the lack of all the other chemicals that are in a real cigarette what supposedly makes e-cigs safer? Or do e-cigs still have those other chemicals as well?
10-10-2013 11:20 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Does that include those ones called Blu? I have a fake-o cigarette but it's only got menthol inserts so it's super nasty... Did the fake-o's you had come in regular or menthol only?
10-10-2013 11:30 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-10-2013 11:30 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Does that include those ones called Blu? I have a fake-o cigarette but it's only got menthol inserts so it's super nasty... Did the fake-o's you had come in regular or menthol only?

I was using the Blu, classic tobacco flavor. I hate menthol.
10-10-2013 11:47 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-10-2013 11:20 AM)VA49er Wrote:  E-cigs still have nicotine, right? So, is the lack of all the other chemicals that are in a real cigarette what supposedly makes e-cigs safer? Or do e-cigs still have those other chemicals as well?

No, e-cigs only have the nicotine, though they do make them without nicotine as well.

This from the Boston University article:

Quote:Most scientists believe nicotine, while highly addictive, is not what causes cancer in smokers or people exposed to secondhand smoke. Has there been any scientific research into the negative health effects of e-cigarettes?

It is very true that nicotine is not the main component of the tobacco smoke that is responsible for most of the adverse health effects. Because electronic cigarettes deliver nicotine without most of the tens of thousands of other chemicals—and without the more than 60 known carcinogens—it is clear that electronic cigarettes are much safer than tobacco cigarettes.
10-10-2013 11:51 AM
oklalittledixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Oklahoma
I used one to quit. I still needed the patch for a few weeks when I gave up the e cig. They are still uncertain if they are truly safe. There are some studies showing that nicotine itself causes a molecular change in your lung tissue. Just an FYI.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 11:56 AM by oklalittledixie.)
10-10-2013 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Offline
Knower of all known knowings

I Root For: Master Yoda
Cannabis in moderation is much safer and actually may kill cancer cells.
10-10-2013 12:03 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-10-2013 12:03 PM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  Cannabis in moderation is much safer and actually may kill cancer cells.

I wouldn't know how to get anymore it even if I wanted it.
10-10-2013 12:05 PM

(10-10-2013 12:05 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 12:03 PM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  Cannabis in moderation is much safer and actually may kill cancer cells.

I wouldn't know how to get anymore it even if I wanted it.

Depending on your state, it will be legal shortly.
10-10-2013 12:14 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Virginia... I highly doubt it.
10-10-2013 12:19 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-10-2013 11:47 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 11:30 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Does that include those ones called Blu? I have a fake-o cigarette but it's only got menthol inserts so it's super nasty... Did the fake-o's you had come in regular or menthol only?

Awesome! I'm getting some. How long does one last?
10-10-2013 12:19 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-10-2013 12:19 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

I've had them last as short as a day and I've had them last as long as 5 days. There doesn't seem to be much consistency, even in regard to how much you use it. They are $10 at 7 Eleven. They are tasty and don't seem to affect lung function (I am a runner), but the last 2 I bought lasted less than 2 days and that is frustrating.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 12:25 PM by EverRespect.)
10-10-2013 12:21 PM

(10-10-2013 12:19 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Virginia... I highly doubt it.

It will be within 15 years.

The tax revenue will drive it over the top in most cases.

It nearly passed in Arkansas and problably will within the next 2 election cycles.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 12:23 PM by Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas.)
10-10-2013 12:22 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-10-2013 12:21 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(10-10-2013 12:19 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

I've had them last as short as a day and I've had them last as long as 5 days. There doesn't seem to be much consistency, even in regard to how much you use it. They are $10 at 7 Eleven.

How many? And what size? My uncle gave me a fake cig and it's so bulky and heavy that I can't sit there and smoke on it normally because it's so damn heavy, but it's my gay uncle that gave it to me which could be why it's big... Lol, j/k... But really is too big.
10-10-2013 12:28 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The Blu is in fact big, but it tastes better than the others. The NJoys are only $7 and more the size of a real cig. They just taste like crap IMO. You only get one and keep reusing it until it dies.
10-10-2013 12:30 PM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(10-10-2013 12:30 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  The Blu is in fact big, but it tastes better than the others. The NJoys are only $7 and more the size of a real cig. They just taste like crap IMO. You only get one and keep reusing it until it dies.

That's how this one is. You buy a bottle of refill filters that have the nic in them, but like I said, they're all menthol. And this one recharges lol. It must have been one of the first ones manufactured...
10-10-2013 12:35 PM
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-10-2013 11:20 AM)VA49er Wrote:  E-cigs still have nicotine, right? So, is the lack of all the other chemicals that are in a real cigarette what supposedly makes e-cigs safer? Or do e-cigs still have those other chemicals as well?

They include nicotine yes, but the other chemicals do not exist. BUt remember there are two different types of e-cigs. The ones with the "preloaded" filters, or the ones that use the liquid.

SO my question is, Ever..which one do you use? The liquid ones do save you a LOT more money. I had two, and have about 5 bottles of liquid around the house somewhere, but the battery failed in one, and I actually broke the other (and you don't know how hard it is to break, as you have to drop it in an EXACT position to break it.

I'd recommend the liquid based ones, because of the cost savings and the flavors (Mix the coffee flavor and the french vanilla and you get your morning wake up :) )

PS: I'd recommend the Ego-T ones.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 12:38 PM by DaSaintFan.)
10-10-2013 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(10-10-2013 12:36 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  

They include nicotine yes, but the other chemicals do not exist. BUt remember there are two different types of e-cigs. The ones with the "preloaded" filters, or the ones that use the liquid.

SO my question is, Ever..which one do you use? The liquid ones do save you a LOT more money. I had two, and have about 5 bottles of liquid around the house somewhere, but the battery failed in one, and I actually broke the other (and you don't know how hard it is to break, as you have to drop it in an EXACT position to break it.

I'd recommend the liquid based ones, because of the cost savings and the flavors (Mix the coffee flavor and the french vanilla and you get your morning wake up :) )

My wife bought the one with the preloaded filters and it had a USB charger, which broke and we couldn't find a replacement charger. Since then, we were using the disposable ones from 7 Eleven. Don't know if they were liquid or not. I have yet to see any where you literally refill it with liquid. Is that something you would get in a head shop or a hookah lounge?
10-10-2013 12:41 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
They should have them in any smoke shop, Ever. The battery charges on USB just like the preloaded filters .

But basically you buy the base unit (should run about $30), buy yourself any flavors (an 8 oz bottle will last you a while, because you honestly put less than maybe 1/2 oz in the atomizer... (usually takes only about 6 drops to fill to the correct level).

The only problem they have is that the mouthpiece will leak after a while.

However, make sure you know if you're getting Propylne Glycol or Vegetbal Glycerol (some people are allergic to PG). But you can pretty much use either liquid in the same e-cig.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013 12:58 PM by DaSaintFan.)
10-10-2013 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have a friend who owns a store that sells e-cigs with the flavored liquid refills.

Bottom line, they're not as healthy as not smoking at all, but they're healthier than traditional cigarettes.

If there's not one near you, you can apparently order it online.

http://www.lizardjuice.com/
10-10-2013 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.