Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Nationally Ranked
Bookmark and Share
42 of Blue Crew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
NIU Nationally Ranked
For those of you who missed it tonight...

NIU is 23rd in both polls. Congrats Huskies.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 08:05 PM by 42 of Blue Crew.)
10-06-2013 08:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: NIU Nationally Ranked
(10-06-2013 08:04 PM)42 of Blue Crew Wrote:  For those of you who missed it tonight...

NIU is 23rd in both polls. Congrats Huskies.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Congrats to them...and at this point, it's too bad that Ball State lost to North Texas. With the domino effect of HC openings this year, I bet Lembo is gone before the bowl game, btw. Has UConn hired a HC yet? I would think that would be a great place for him to go.
10-06-2013 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rockytop Offline
1st String

Great to see NIU ranked. They have earned it. Also BSU had a nice win against VA.
10-07-2013 06:41 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-07-2013 06:41 AM)rockytop Wrote:  Great to see NIU ranked. They have earned it. Also BSU had a nice win against VA.

It is remarkable to me how well NIU has be able to maintain its dominance of the MAC-West over the past several years in spite of the inevitable loss of successful head coaches on several occasions. Even with the Dan LeFevour era at CMU (and one Ball State appearance) NIU has played in the MACC game 4 of the last 8 years, winning the last two, so they have certainly mastered the ability to win big games. That coupled with their BCS Bowl season last year has definitely put them on the national radar screen which, coupled with their 5-0 start this year, including going 2-0 against the Big Ten is certainly worthy of a #23 national ranking.

They are currently in the weakest stretch of their schedule and should not face a serious challenge until the play Ball State in early November, so they will probably move up further in the rankings by attrition from above.
10-07-2013 07:20 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Thanks for the kind words, Rockets! NIU has been very lucky to remain solid through all the change. QB play really helps.
With the easy part coming up, the Huskies should jump up as others begin to lose.

Two huge games in November will be the biggest part of the schedule. Hoping NIU can win those and stay ranked highly. Luckily, the Huskies have 11 days to prep for the Cardinals and Huskie Stadium has been rocking so far, and as you might know, the weather in Huskie Stadium in November is atrocious.

The Rockets have two tough games ahead and then two cupcakes to prepare for NIU, I'm very interested to see how the next two games for Toledo pan out. I really want them to expose BG.
10-07-2013 10:50 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Anyone else feel Harnish's senior season, and NIU's 2012 team was better than 2013's???
NIU is a little weaker than usual on defense, plus Toledo beefed up scheduling to get ready for a team like NIU this season. Our defense is better than it has been in years... BSU is a veteran filled team who knocked off UV by a lot. This is the best chance for a MAC team to take down NIU in three seasons, IMO.

One thing is for sure. NIU is great at home, and has won big games in the past. Having been there, they are the team that knows best how to do it again.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 10:55 AM by UofToledoFans.)
10-07-2013 10:54 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(10-07-2013 10:54 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Anyone else feel Harnish's senior season, and NIU's 2012 team was better than 2013's???
NIU is a little weaker than usual on defense, plus Toledo beefed up scheduling to get ready for a team like NIU this season. Our defense is better than it has been in years... BSU is a veteran filled team who knocked off UV by a lot. This is the best chance for a MAC team to take down NIU in three seasons, IMO.

One thing is for sure. NIU is great at home, and has won big games in the past. Having been there, they are the team that knows best how to do it again.

It's a tough comparison. Honestly, the 2010 NIU team was much better than the 2011 one (Harnish's senior year). That 2011 defense was probably worse than the 2013 one. This year's defense is much more opportunistic.

2012 was certainly the best defense of the bunch and had a more 'seasoned' coach, hardly seasoned though.

If I had to say the best team so far of that bunch, it would be this one. This team has a swagger and a purpose. The defense has given up a lot of yards but creates turnovers. This team has played in bigger games than any of the other teams. Even if Purdue and Iowa are down, they went in and weren't phased at all. The 2013 offense is better than any in the past 5 years. All lineman back, Lynch back, and the WRs have stepped in nicely for Moore and Ashford.

Big Game Prep-2013 because many Orange Bowl players came back and like 70% of the roster has been in 2 MACC games
Defense- 2012, they were stingy
Offense - 2013, not even an argument
Special Teams - Probably this year, Sr. Kicker, Lewis returns kicks and a better punter
10-07-2013 11:01 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Our offense is about the same this year, might be a little better if Stingily keeps playing the way he has the last couple games, and if the O-line can keep run blocking like they have. Lynch has been so-so for him, in the passing game and hasn't run that much. Our D has definitely taken a step back obviously so at this point I would put 2012 over 2013. Harnish's last year our D was porous for most of the year so I don't know that that team was better.

All that said, a good QB can make a lot of coaches look good and we've had 2 in a row. Really hoping for 3 in a row but what are the odds of that?
10-07-2013 11:04 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-07-2013 10:54 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Anyone else feel Harnish's senior season, and NIU's 2012 team was better than 2013's??? NIU is a little weaker than usual on defense, plus Toledo beefed up scheduling to get ready for a team like NIU this season. Our defense is better than it has been in years... BSU is a veteran filled team who knocked off UV by a lot. This is the best chance for a MAC team to take down NIU in three seasons, IMO.

The 2011 team? No way. The defense was worse and the offense wasn't as good. Last years team? Possibly. The defense was much better, but the offense wasn't as good. Kind of depends on if/how the defense progresses.
10-07-2013 11:07 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I see your stats, and I enjoy reading them.... but in 2010 and 2011 NIU pounded teams. Seemed like every win was by 20+. The EIU game and Idaho strike doubt in my mind. I understand EIU is a good football team, but they took the lead early. BSU and Toledo might not step off the gas.
10-07-2013 11:07 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
In 2010 we pounded everybody except WMU and obviously Miami in the MACC. In 2011 we had a number of close games. I would say 2010 and 2012 were better than 2013 so far but it's a close call. We have more experienced players now though I wonder if we're as motivated as we seem to start slow and then when we realize we're in a ball game we start to play. Our punter is better as I forgot to mention and JWN pointed out.
10-07-2013 11:19 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(10-07-2013 11:07 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  I see your stats, and I enjoy reading them.... but in 2010 and 2011 NIU pounded teams. Seemed like every win was by 20+. The EIU game and Idaho strike doubt in my mind. I understand EIU is a good football team, but they took the lead early. BSU and Toledo might not step off the gas.

You're also trying to compare before NIU has really gotten into conference play. That's where they dominated. Tough to compare 5 games vs. 12-14.

2010- They probably won on average in confernce by 20
2011- They lost to CMU in confernce, beat Toledo by 3, beat ball by 3
2012- Beat most teams by two scores in conference
2013- They beat Kent with Archer in awful conditions by 2 TD

Did you watch the EIU game? They went out threw a quick TD, NIU had a 3-out and EIU threw another quick TD and onsided. They ran trick plays, went for it on 4th on multiple ocassions. When NIU made adjustments they went on a 43-19 run after EIU had three possessions to NIU's one.

Until Toledo plays more consistently on Offense, I don't think they can compete in a track meet with Lynch. Ball State can.

I appreciate you trying to make a super early assessment on the NIU team, but unless you've watched all/majority of the 30+ games from 2011-now, you cannot make a solid judgement like the people giving you the insight.
10-07-2013 11:19 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-07-2013 11:07 AM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  I see your stats, and I enjoy reading them.... but in 2010 and 2011 NIU pounded teams. Seemed like every win was by 20+. The EIU game and Idaho strike doubt in my mind. I understand EIU is a good football team, but they took the lead early. BSU and Toledo might not step off the gas.
Thru 5 games in 2011, NIU was 2-3. Of the 11 games they won that year, 5 of them were by a combined 16 points. It may have "seemed" that way, but that's not reality.

In 2010 they were beating the hell out of people in MAC play, with the exception of WMU. I'll give you that.

I mean NIU beat Idaho by 10, Kent State bt 14, and Purdue by 30 (all on the road). The EIU game was a barnburner, but it's not like the Idaho and Kent games came down to the last play.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 11:30 AM by 7.)
10-07-2013 11:26 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Reports that Stingily arrested. http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2013/.../index.xml Seems like a pretty silly thing...
10-07-2013 08:36 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Kind wors indeed from UT fans.

Toledo remains dangerous, loaded with talent. Played Fla tough and had a shot at an undefeated MO team. Its not over until its over.
10-07-2013 11:24 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Thought I'd comment on the game because they will still be ranked, but teams like Mizzou should jump em.

NIU is not looking like the teams of old. Is it just me? Why do I feel like BSU should be the front runner? Another unimpressive win by 7 at home. CMU will be a test above Akron. Then I can compare NIU and UT. Keep winning though. Makes conference mates proud.
10-13-2013 12:11 AM
Advertisement

Campbell4President Offline
1st String

Niu owns the mac. Bsu could definitely win but niu has earned their respect until dethroned.
10-13-2013 01:29 AM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

The MAC West goes through NIU until someone knocks them off, and unfortunately right now we have to play 3rd fiddle behind Ball St.
10-13-2013 08:06 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-13-2013 08:06 AM)letsgoblue Wrote:  The MAC West goes through NIU until someone knocks them off, and unfortunately right now we have to play 3rd fiddle behind Ball St.

Rockets will be much better shape than last season if they can win out.
10-13-2013 09:37 AM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

(10-13-2013 09:37 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(10-13-2013 08:06 AM)letsgoblue Wrote:  The MAC West goes through NIU until someone knocks them off, and unfortunately right now we have to play 3rd fiddle behind Ball St.

Rockets will be much better shape than last season if they can win out.

I would agree 100% with that.....but the rest of their MAC schedule is
a-whole-lot tougher from here on out. It can be done though!!!!!!
Go Rockets!!!!!
10-13-2013 12:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.