Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Half time/Half empty
Bookmark and Share
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Half time/Half empty
I know its been said before, but it is damned right embarrassing to look over all of BFS 3rd qrtr and see a half empty BFS. Come on the students leave , paid tickets leave, what is it going to take to keep AIS's. The ones who left missed a great 2nd half game.
Just had to say it, that it bugs the crap out of me. Guessin' it's the real JMU football fans that stay. Will they continue to do this if we move up? Would they leave if UVa, or VT or ECU or even ODuh were playing? This half time migration needs to stop. Sorry for the rant but just how I feel.

05-nono 03-weeping 03-hissyfit
10-06-2013 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Half time/Half empty
I said it in the other thread but I'd love to know what people have to do that is so great.
10-06-2013 09:50 AM
JMUDuke2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
Yeah I'd leave if we are beating the **** out of the team, and clearly they won't be coming back. Albany was over matched in every phase of the game, except penalties. I've seen Penn State and Tennessee clear out half way through the third or beginning of the fourth in blowouts. Happens everywhere. Stop the bitching.
10-06-2013 10:18 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I hate it as much as the next hardcore fan, but I'd rather them show up until the game is clearly decided at the half, then not show up at all.
I think it's also indicative of the level of play, apathy towards the opponent, etc. People wouldn't leave a UVA or Tech game early, unless the home team is getting blown out. They'd leave ECU or ODU games early though, especially if it involved a 2+ hour drive back home before the sun sets.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 10:21 AM by Potomac.)
10-06-2013 10:20 AM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Half time/Half empty
I was at the northwestern-OSU game yesterday. People barely even got up from their seats at halftime---no one left the game until NU decided to let OSU best the spread on the final play. And it POURED for hours before the game.

We won't have an OSU at Bridgeforth.....ever. But, we can get plenty of opponents that would be exciting enough to pack the place.

That being said, NU fans don't cheer! At all! Very very quiet fans. And the band sucked.
10-06-2013 10:28 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Rule #1: Kids & Parents don't stay for the whole game on Parent's Weekend
Rule #2: Don't act like there's any connection between Parent's Weekend attendance & football fandom at JMU. It's been this way for YEARS.
10-06-2013 10:44 AM
Advertisement

Mad victory Offline
1st String

(10-06-2013 10:44 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Rule #1: Kids & Parents don't stay for the whole game on Parent's Weekend
Rule #2: Don't act like there's any connection between Parent's Weekend attendance & football fandom at JMU. It's been this way for YEARS.

Says the guy who missed both first and second half. boooooooo
10-06-2013 10:46 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

DUDE! I can't be there every game! Marching bands compete on Saturdays. Sad truth of my job.
10-06-2013 10:51 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

To add, I made sure my seats were occupied!
10-06-2013 10:52 AM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(10-06-2013 10:51 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  DUDE! I can't be there every game! Marching bands compete on Saturdays. Sad truth of my job.

Just busting, my job keeps me away on Saturdays too, if i cant make it this weekend stop by my shop, and ill leave you some tick squashing juice.
10-06-2013 10:55 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm going hard this Saturday. I'll check back in with you later this week to coordinate that! Time to start a Tick hate thread.
10-06-2013 11:09 AM
Advertisement

JMUSuperfan2000 Offline
Special Teams

All it takes to keep butts in seats in an opponent that brings some excitement. The one that stands out more than any other is Appy in 2008 when we were down 21-0 at half. We ran back the second half kickoff for a TD and the place stayed packed and loud until the end of the game.

I've given up caring that people leave early playing against nobodies.
10-06-2013 11:16 AM
Mad victory Offline
1st String

(10-06-2013 11:09 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I'm going hard this Saturday. I'll check back in with you later this week to coordinate that! Time to start a Tick hate thread.

here is something nice
[Image: m4qy_rHtsEKs90WyU4H4oLg.jpg]
for me to poop on!
10-06-2013 11:18 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Mad Victory - please shift that over to my brand new thread. IT'S HATIN TIME, Y'ALL!
10-06-2013 11:23 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2013 10:18 AM)JMUDuke2002 Wrote:  Yeah I'd leave if we are beating the **** out of the team, and clearly they won't be coming back. Albany was over matched in every phase of the game, except penalties. I've seen Penn State and Tennessee clear out half way through the third or beginning of the fourth in blowouts. Happens everywhere. Stop the bitching.

Yesterday wasn't so much the problem. It's games like W&M last year that was an overtime game on a perfect day and half the people left. Those are the ones that really confound me. I really believe in selling beer in the stadium. Put it on the meal plan.
10-06-2013 11:45 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2013 11:16 AM)JMUSuperfan2000 Wrote:  All it takes to keep butts in seats in an opponent that brings some excitement. The one that stands out more than any other is Appy in 2008 when we were down 21-0 at half. We ran back the second half kickoff for a TD and the place stayed packed and loud until the end of the game.

I've given up caring that people leave early playing against nobodies.

This is very true. When Scotty McGee returned that opening second half kick, the stands were completely packed. That was the only time I think I've ever seen that at Brigeforth and we were down 21-0! And people come on and make the strong argument that people won't show up for Northern Illinois or Ohio U.....I just disagree.
10-06-2013 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Earl in Midlothian Offline
Water Engineer

(10-06-2013 10:51 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  DUDE! I can't be there every game! Marching bands compete on Saturdays. Sad truth of my job.
My band was competing too---mys eats were filled as well!!!!
10-06-2013 01:52 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Hope it went well for you guys, Earl. Assuming your titans were at Midlo?
10-06-2013 02:07 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

There are pictures of last years Navy vs ECU game down in Greenville, the stadium is probably a little more than half full. It was inclement weather (some people in short sleeves some dress in rain gear), but a good match-up none the less, and they couldn't keep people in the stands.

The first year we went down to UNC, that stadium was half empty for the second half, yet it started very full as it was their first game of the season. The second time we played them, it wasn't full at the beginning, so its hard to compare for that game.

Its just what happens in football unless the game is against a rival and it stays close throughout. Maine was a good game two years ago and people left, not nearly as many as usual, but still a lot left simply because Maine isn't looked at as a rival and neither is Towson. They are not teams we love to hate.
10-06-2013 02:27 PM
Dukie95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: all the Dukes
Never complaining about attendance ever again after seeing the pathetic showing UD fans and students made in Newark last week. We were playing Albany and kids had parents trying to get to Chili's in a blow-out. UD had ranked JMU AND were honoring their 03 team. No students...none.

Pretty sure we have a problem other schools would love to have.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 05:11 PM by Dukie95.)
10-06-2013 05:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.