Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Five Conferences Aligned For Bahamas Bowl--CBS
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Five Conferences Aligned For Bahamas Bowl--CBS
Looks like the Bahamas Bowl is a "go".

Commissioners from five conferences will be part of a news conference in the Bahamas on Oct. 14 announcing "an exciting announcement about postseason college football," according to Lea Miller of Complete Sports Management.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson confirmed the announcement is for a six-year bowl-game agreement with the Mountain West as a backup player, participating "maybe once in six years." Conference USA and the MAC are believed to be spearheading the game and will be primary participants.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hamas-bowl
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 09:48 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Five Conferences Aligned For Bahamas Bowl--CBS
So we're probably in this game once in six years?
10-04-2013 09:48 AM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Probably smart to have a pretty large rotation for this game...Would be cool to go to this game once but not sure it would be something fans would travel to multiple times over the years.
10-04-2013 09:51 AM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
It will fail and be gone in three years. The logistics of moving two schools football teams, bands and cheerleaders, plus dozens of administration people to a foreign country to a game is just too much. The International Bowl failed in part because of the problems with obtaining all those passports and arranging travel in such a short time frame for players and fans. Fans simply opted to stay home and watch on TV. And we could drive there.
10-04-2013 09:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 09:51 AM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  Probably smart to have a pretty large rotation for this game...Would be cool to go to this game once but not sure it would be something fans would travel to multiple times over the years.

Probably, but its hard to say. All the article says is that Nick Carperelli will attend. Since Aresco isnt going to be there Im thinking we may just be a backup. Here's the deal. It appears ESPN is creating an open slot in a lot of their G-5 bowls with the intention of mixing things up a bit every year in order to set up some interesting matchups. Thus, the "5" conference participation might be a little overblown. My guess is we might be there one year or we might potentially never play there.

My question is---Does this count as one of Aresco's seven bowl ties?
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 10:03 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 09:58 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(10-04-2013 09:58 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 09:51 AM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  Probably smart to have a pretty large rotation for this game...Would be cool to go to this game once but not sure it would be something fans would travel to multiple times over the years.

Probably, but its hard to say. All the article says is that Nick Carperelli will attend. Since Aresco isnt going to be there Im thinking we may just be a backup. Here's the deal. It appears ESPN is creating an open slot in a lot of their G-5 bowls with the intention of mixing things up a bit every year in order to set up some interesting matchups. Thus, the "5" conference participation might be a little overblown. My guess is we might be there one year or we might potentially never play there.

My question is---Does this count as one of Aresco's seven bowl ties?

Probably. He's certainly set himself up to call any part-time tie-in as part of his overall count. The American may have as few as 4 primary tie-ins in any given season, but there will be like 7-9 tie-ins overall due to the rotations. I'm guessing that's the number Aresoc goes to the public with. He is banking on putting the top 1-2 teams in the conference in as filler for P5 v P5 bowls that can't fulfill their tie-ins.
10-04-2013 10:07 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
If there is 12 slots for the Bahamas Bowl game with CUSA and the MAC as primaries and SBC, MWC, AAC guaranteed a slot that means that 9 out of 12 slots end up MAC/CUSA.

I suppose in those years where the MAC and CUSA teams don't participate they end up routing their teams to another G5 sponsored bowl game.
10-04-2013 10:07 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-04-2013 10:07 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I suppose in those years where the MAC and CUSA teams don't participate they end up routing their teams to another G5 sponsored bowl game.

That's what's been hinted at for a while now. IIRC, the MWC has already conceded one spot each in the LV and Hawaii bowls. CUSA has given up at least one spot in HOD...maybe more as the press release is sketchy in details. I think it's something like between the HOD and AF bowls, they will have a TX bowl a year. I'm sure that when the AAC gets around to announcing their deals, the ESPN games will also be a part of the pool. The only hiccup could be Birmingham as the SEC may be the one dictating terms as far as whom they are willing to play.

@thebeatofsports: ESPN owns tv rights to playoff games, access bowls and almost every bowl game. Plus will own likely 12+ bowl games. Major say in matchups

This tweet from another thread lends credibility to my hunch about ESPN. This could be very good news for the MAC as some of the top finishers may see better match ups than were possible under individual bowl contracts. For example, it's not out of the realm of possibility that ESPN might find a MAC/B1G match up more compelling than a CUSA/B1G game.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm glad the AAC has the Military Bowl tie that ESPN can't manipulate. It's the only G5/P5 matchup they have no say over.
10-04-2013 10:45 AM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(10-04-2013 09:54 AM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  It will fail and be gone in three years. The logistics of moving two schools football teams, bands and cheerleaders, plus dozens of administration people to a foreign country to a game is just too much. The International Bowl failed in part because of the problems with obtaining all those passports and arranging travel in such a short time frame for players and fans. Fans simply opted to stay home and watch on TV. And we could drive there.

This.
10-04-2013 12:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m
Look for bowl alliance between game in Bahamas, Boca Raton, Montgomery and Marlins Park(Miami)..non power leagues involved..ESPN owns bowls
10-04-2013 12:32 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(10-04-2013 12:32 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m
Look for bowl alliance between game in Bahamas, Boca Raton, Montgomery and Marlins Park(Miami)..non power leagues involved..ESPN owns bowls

EWWWWWWWWWWW
10-04-2013 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 12:37 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 12:32 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m

EWWWWWWWWWWW

I think the Marlins Bowl may have just become our crappiest bowl. Just when you think you have figured out it really cant get any worse....lol...I guess we need to stop using the phrase it cant get any worse. If true, I really must question the logic behind blowing off New Orleans for this.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 03:40 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 12:43 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

If this is true then the October 14th announcement date is probably what is holding the American Bowl announcement up until the middle of October. Maybe Aresco has been negotiating the Marlins Bowl to be an American Bowl but ESPN is going to own it and wants it in the Alliance Bowl Rotation. If that is the case then the best bowl for the American Conference outside of the at large playoff spot is going to be the Military Bowl at Annapolis. Who would of thought that things would have turned out this way. Hope that is not the case and that the Marlins Bowl stands alone for the American as the host conference. If the Marlins Bowl is part of the rotation Aresco better get on the phone to the MAC and the LCPB and get that thing going somewhere else hopefully in Orlando or Texas since it is already a certified bowl.
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 01:55 PM by panite.)
10-04-2013 01:54 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 01:54 PM)panite Wrote:  

If this is true then the October 14th announcement date is probably what is holding the American Bowl announcement up until the middle of October. Maybe Aresco has been negotiating the Marlins Bowl to be an American Bowl but ESPN is going to own it and wants it in the Alliance Bowl Rotation. If that is the case then the best bowl for the American Conference outside of the at large playoff spot is going to be the Military Bowl at Annapolis. Who would of thought that things would have turned out this way. Hope that is not the case and that the Marlins Bowl stands alone for the American as the host conference. If the Marlins Bowl is part of the rotation Aresco better get on the phone to the MAC and the LCPB and get that thing going somewhere else hopefully in Orlando or Texas since it is already a certified bowl.
07-coffee3

I'd push for one of the conferences two new stadiums. The new Houston stadium would make a nice site as would the new Tulane stadium. UCF and USF are also good options. It seems we would likely be better off following the MW model at this point since our best bowl turns out to be the one in a member home stadium (Navy).
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 02:26 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 02:25 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2013 02:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 01:54 PM)panite Wrote:  

07-coffee3

I'd push for one of the conferences two new stadiums. The new Houston stadium would make a nice site as would the new Tulane stadium. UCF and USF are also good options. It seems we would likely be better off following the MW model at this point since our best bowl turns out to be the one in a member home stadium (Navy).

I would be fine with the MAC setting up a bowl with the AAC in Texas. The AAC as we all know could use a bowl there.

The MAC may try to get a game going in Indianapolis or St. Louis with that bowl certification first. I could see the B1G and SEC splitting 3 years a piece in it with an AAC backup.
10-04-2013 03:11 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(10-04-2013 12:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I think the Marlins Bowl may have just become our crappiest bowl. Just when you think you have figured out it really cant get any worse....lol...I guess we need to stop using the phrase it cant get any worse. If true, I have to really must question the logic behind blowing off New Orleans for this.

I questioned that a while ago. There's really no reason to let that one go at all.
10-04-2013 03:16 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2013 10:45 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 10:07 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I suppose in those years where the MAC and CUSA teams don't participate they end up routing their teams to another G5 sponsored bowl game.

That's what's been hinted at for a while now. IIRC, the MWC has already conceded one spot each in the LV and Hawaii bowls. CUSA has given up at least one spot in HOD...maybe more as the press release is sketchy in details. I think it's something like between the HOD and AF bowls, they will have a TX bowl a year. I'm sure that when the AAC gets around to announcing their deals, the ESPN games will also be a part of the pool. The only hiccup could be Birmingham as the SEC may be the one dictating terms as far as whom they are willing to play.

@thebeatofsports: ESPN owns tv rights to playoff games, access bowls and almost every bowl game. Plus will own likely 12+ bowl games. Major say in matchups

This tweet from another thread lends credibility to my hunch about ESPN. This could be very good news for the MAC as some of the top finishers may see better match ups than were possible under individual bowl contracts. For example, it's not out of the realm of possibility that ESPN might find a MAC/B1G match up more compelling than a CUSA/B1G game.

I'm not sure how much opportunity it gives to MAC finishers because the MAC has told the GoDaddy bowl in Mobile that it will have either the #1 or #2 selection each season.

For a program like Ohio that has appeared in 5 different bowl games over 6 years, the MAC might send them out to Las Vegas or Hawaii one season to avoid repeat matchups.

What I'm seeing more than anything is growing parity of bowl opportunities for the AAC, CUSA and MAC. There just isn't a whole lot of difference when you get down to it. MAC schools would be better off remaining in a regional conference rather than trying to get mixed up with the AAC which is doomed to be picked apart in long term.
10-04-2013 03:22 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
The Aresco Bowl is a complete waste of time if it's in that pool. There would literally be no point in creating it.
10-04-2013 03:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 03:45 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  The Aresco Bowl is a complete waste of time if it's in that pool. There would literally be no point in creating it.

Well--we aren't creating anymore. ESPN is.
10-04-2013 04:20 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:

Wow, if true, this is ugly!

Military vs ACC 7-9 (Looks to be best bowl with best chance of having ACC each year, do you commit the champ to this game?)
Birmingham vs SEC 9/ACC 10-11
BOBB vs ACC 10 twice CUSA three Open 1
Hawaii 3 out of 6 years
Armed Forces vs B10/B12 - probably last team for each conf
BOCA/Bahama/Montgomery/Miami? G5 alliance

Curious who will get the prime backup slot for Indy bowl, because that is looking as more solid spot with SEC sending the 10th team which may be unlikely.
10-04-2013 06:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.