Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marlins Park Bowl News?
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Marlins Park Bowl News?
Some interesting tweets tonight from Orlando sports host and UCF announcer Marc Daniels:

Quote:@thebeatofsports: Then Montgomery landed an ESPN bowl http://t.co/aH2kmTPCVE Sources say bowl at Marlins Park getting closer. Care to guess who owns it?

@thebeatofsports: ESPN owns tv rights to playoff games, access bowls and almost every bowl game. Plus will own likely 12+ bowl games. Major say in matchups

@thebeatofsports: AAC quiet on 2014 bowl lineup. Aresco has few deals in place. Appears open to play fill-in role for power 5 leagues who can't fill slots

And in response to a question regarding the first tweet:

Quote:@USF96 is Marlins an AAC bowl? Thnx
@thebeatofsports: Likely not

Wait. What?

I thought the American was spearheading the Marlins Park bowl as a conference-owned game? Now it's not even a game that the conference will participate in?
10-03-2013 10:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kardphan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Marlins Park Bowl News?
(10-03-2013 10:28 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Some interesting tweets tonight from Orlando sports host and UCF announcer Marc Daniels:

Quote:@thebeatofsports: Then Montgomery landed an ESPN bowl http://t.co/aH2kmTPCVE Sources say bowl at Marlins Park getting closer. Care to guess who owns it?

@thebeatofsports: ESPN owns tv rights to playoff games, access bowls and almost every bowl game. Plus will own likely 12+ bowl games. Major say in matchups

@thebeatofsports: AAC quiet on 2014 bowl lineup. Aresco has few deals in place. Appears open to play fill-in role for power 5 leagues who can't fill slots

And in response to a question regarding the first tweet:

Quote:@USF96 is Marlins an AAC bowl? Thnx
@thebeatofsports: Likely not

Wait. What?

I thought the American was spearheading the Marlins Park bowl as a conference-owned game? Now it's not even a game that the conference will participate in?

At this point I have zero clue on what Aresco is doing.
10-03-2013 10:52 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Bad info. This guy has no clue. AAC is spearheading Marlins bowl.
10-03-2013 11:32 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(10-03-2013 11:32 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Bad info. This guy has no clue. AAC is spearheading Marlins bowl.

That's my read. Who else would be in it? Theres only one shakey P5 selection left (PAC-12 #8). There certainly isn't 2 P5 selections left. So, if he is correct, the PAC-12 is going to send thier #8 to Miami to play the Sunbelt#4, MAC#4, or CUSA #7 rather than play an AAC #3-7? I just don't buy that one.

That said, I've mentioned several times that I fear the issue of ownership of the Miami Bowl could be what is holding up the progress of our bowl lineup. I think it's no coincidence that CUSA announced a better than expected bowl line up shortly after agreeing to sell the Heart of Dallas Bowl to ESPN. One can never underestimate the potential for ESPN to sucker punch this conference. So while Im pretty sure we will play in any new Marlins Bowl, its not too far fetched to believe that ESPN would try to elbow us out of any ownership interest.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 08:51 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 12:29 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
(10-04-2013 12:29 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 11:32 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Bad info. This guy has no clue. AAC is spearheading Marlins bowl.

That's my read. Who else would be in it? Theres only one shakey P5 selection left (PAC-12 #8). There certainly isn't 2 P5 selections left. So, if he is correct, the PAC-12 is going to send thier #8 to Miami to play the Sunbelt#4, MAC#4, or CUSA #7 rather than play an AAC #3-7? I just don't buy that one.

That said, I've mentioned several times that I fear the issue of ownership of the Miami Bowl could be what is holding the progress of our bowl lineup. I think it's no coincidence that CUSA announced a better than expected bowl line up shortly after agreeing to sell the Heart of Dallas Bowl to ESPN. One can never underestimate the potential for ESPN to sucker punch this conference. So while Im pretty sure we will play in any new Marlins Bowl, its not too far fetched to believe that ESPN would try to elbow us out of any ownership interest.

ESPN's ownership of the HoD (and the fact that they took it away from Banowsky), Camellia, Bahamas, and Boca bowls has me thinking Daniels is on to something here. He hasn't always had the best info (he once declared that BYU was going to sign with the American and that was after Louisville and Rutgers left), but he is realtively plugged in about the media deals. If he says ESPN is going to own the Marlins bowl, I'd tend to believe him. It's probably the only way that bowl happens.
10-04-2013 07:51 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I won't lose any sleep over the Marlins Bowl, one way or the other.
10-04-2013 08:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-04-2013 08:07 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  I won't lose any sleep over the Marlins Bowl, one way or the other.

If the Marlins Bowl is created, and doesn't involve our league, then that yellow stuff you see on Aresco is egg all over his face.
10-04-2013 08:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I will say that ownership of the Marlins Bowl is a very important point for the AAC. Creating a bowl is all well and good, but if you don't own it---you don't control it. The old Big East was instrumental in the creation of the Pinstripe Bowl---but the Big East had no ownership interest. As a result, when the Big East/AAC suffered a setback, the Pinstripe dumped them. I can see how a Miami Marlins Bowl could develop into a decent bowl over the next cycle. If it did, we could be unceremoniously dropped by the bowl in favor of a P-5 conference. On the other hand, if the bowl becomes more attractive to the P-5 and we have ownership of the bowl---we are looking at our new flagship bowl capable of attracting an upgraded P-5 selection as an opponent. This is a battle worth fighting and may explain why there has been so little movement on our bowl line-up.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 11:50 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 11:48 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(10-04-2013 08:12 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 08:07 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  I won't lose any sleep over the Marlins Bowl, one way or the other.

If the Marlins Bowl is created, and doesn't involve our league, then that yellow stuff you see on Aresco is egg all over his face.

Sometimes it is better to be seen with egg on your face than to be so inflexible that you cannot change your mind when you need to. Aresco's reputation is secondary to the welfare of the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 11:59 AM by Gray Avenger.)
10-04-2013 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

The lastest from Beat of Sports. Not good news if you are rooting for us to have ownership of the Miami Bowl. I'd say that also makes it looks less likely that there will be a P-5 opponent in Miami. If accurate, the best outcome would be if the is a Pac-12 #8 opponent and the other 4 G-5 conferences backup the Pac-12. In exchange, we get Miami 5 of 6 years. That's the best outcome if the Beat of Sports information is accurate. It may be that ESPN has control of so many G5 bowls, you just cant really fight them.

The Beat of Sports ‏@thebeatofsports 19m
Look for bowl alliance between game in Bahamas, Boca Raton, Montgomery and Marlins Park(Miami)..non power leagues involved..ESPN owns bowls
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 12:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 12:04 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Since Birmingham isn't included, maybe it won't be a shared spot. Hmm, LV, Hawaii and HOD/AF aren't mentioned either, and they will have flex scheduling as well. Best guess, the tweet is referencing newly created bowls. It looks like it's play ball with ESPN or risk getting shut out.
10-04-2013 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 12:22 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Since Birmingham isn't included, maybe it won't be a shared spot. Hmm, LV, Hawaii and HOD/AF aren't mentioned either, and they will have flex scheduling as well. Best guess, the tweet is referencing newly created bowls. It looks like it's play ball with ESPN or risk getting shut out.

Yup. That's exactly what it looks like. Mouse House runs all.
10-04-2013 12:30 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
So Aresco finds new ways to make this bowl lineup suck more. It's actually impressive at this point the way he seems to find a new low point when you think things have to have bottomed out.
10-04-2013 03:49 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-04-2013 03:49 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  So Aresco finds new ways to make this bowl lineup suck more. It's actually impressive at this point the way he seems to find a new low point when you think things have to have bottomed out.

It does take real talent. Maybe that's why we're paying him so much money...
10-04-2013 04:20 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

I Root For: Defense
You guys are stressing about nothing.
10-04-2013 05:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-04-2013 05:50 PM)Geotag Wrote:  You guys are stressing about nothing.

Who's stressing? The big fish are gone and have been gone for several months. There's nothing left to stress about. More or less ready to see what crap bowls we get and how these rotations are going to function.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 06:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-04-2013 06:04 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU

No need for a Memphis fan to stress since you won't be going to any of these games.
10-04-2013 07:19 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
I'm wildly confused by this... the whole point of creating it was because we NEEDED it... so we have the great idea then just gift it to our buddies at ESPN? WTF.
10-04-2013 07:32 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-04-2013 07:32 PM)Bull Wrote:  I'm wildly confused by this... the whole point of creating it was because we NEEDED it... so we have the great idea then just gift it to our buddies at ESPN? WTF.

Remember the NCAA has to sanction, that possibly may be the reason. NCAA wanted to bowl to have a strong financial backer. Just a guess.
10-04-2013 07:47 PM
Geotag Offline
Banned

I Root For: Defense
(10-04-2013 07:19 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

No need for a Memphis fan to stress since you won't be going to any of these games.

You assume this why?
10-04-2013 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.