Average Callaway Era (2007-2011) Total Offense = 7/12 in CUSA
378 yd/game

McGee Era:
2012 - Ranked 5/12 410 yd/game
2013 - Ranked 7/14 368 yd/game

Average McGee Era (2012-2013) Total Offense = 6/13 in CUSA
389 yd/game

Records:

Callaway record vs FBS opponents 16-42 (.276)
Callaway record vs FBS-Non AQ opponents 16-31 (.340)

McGee record vs FBS opponents 2-12 (.143)
McGee record vs FBS-Non AQ opponents 2-8 (.200)

What I think really stands out is 2010 for Callaway. That year completely could have gone the other way and we go bowling. It's sort of amazing with those numbers (5th total offense, 5th total defense in CUSA) that we only won 4 games in 2010 and go 3-5 in CUSA. But then you go and look at Red Zone Conversions for 2010 and realize we were dead last that year easily 03-razz. It's sort of mind boggling.

As far as the rest of the stats go, obviously a lot more weighs into the whole situation than just total offense and total defense. And Callaway has 5 years of stats vs Mcgee's 1.3 so take this stuff with a grain of salt. I just find stats to be interesting so I figured I would share them.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 12:34 AM by Shrack.)
10-01-2013 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
RE: Some Interesting Stats
Isn't it a bit unfair to include McGee's stats for 2013 after only four games, which included two SEC teams?
10-01-2013 10:48 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

Yeah, I thought about that. Then again it is all relative to the rest of the conference and the rest of the conference has also been playing their OOC games mostly the first 4-5 games of the season. Sure, our SOS for the first 4 games was probably a bit higher than some of the other teams in the conference, but the fact remains we are still 14/14 for Total Defense so far and there are other conference teams who have played just as difficult of a schedule who aren't last in defense. Though most of the teams in our conference haven't played a school as difficult as LSU, many have played teams better than Vanderbilt.

This isn't necessarily a comparison of McGee/Callaway or anything like that. I'm more trying to see how we ranked in the past in conference. I wish I had Watson's numbers available.
10-02-2013 12:50 AM
Grantsky Offline
2nd String

Hopefully this makes sense. I think UAB's schedule has played as difficult as possible. It is completely plausible that Troy could have folded when we led big, resulting in a blowout. LSU could have sleepwalked through three quarters and dug a hole against us, instead they unleashed the wrath of Odell Beckham on an unsuspecting secondary.

Our opponents have played very solid football against us every week and for a relatively new regime and a team that still can't seem to get all 8 spark plugs firing, these numbers make sense. I think games like LSU-UAB, UT-Oregon, Baylor-anyone are simply statistical outliers that make early season analysis difficult.

I will say, however, that using the simply "eye-test", UAB looks like a team with more raw talent at more positions than at any time under Callaway's tenure.

Under McGee, I think of the team as a slowly improving process, where our patience will eventually be rewarded with some big wins (Vandy would have been nice). The catalyst is the rate of McGee's maturation as a head coach. I have optimism, because he genuinely seems to hate losing.

Neil Callaway did not hate losing, he just liked winning more. As a result, I spent the Callaway years hoping Joe's feet could work enough magic to get us to a bowl-praying Neil didn't get in the way.
10-02-2013 02:57 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGrad88 Offline
All American

(10-01-2013 10:48 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Isn't it a bit unfair to include McGee's stats for 2013 after only four games, which included two SEC teams?

Yes
10-02-2013 07:46 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

On paper, that is very depressing, as it shows McGee (so far) has been just as inept as Callaway. A few of things give me hope though. 1) The more McGee gets his own players in here, the better we'll be.........he is still trying to install his system of offense and defense (?). 2. Like some posters above pointed out, these 2013 numbers should look a lot better with a few weeks of CUSA play. 3. He has legitimately tried to change the loser mindset/culture. A lot of the kids he's recruited came from winning programs.
10-02-2013 08:02 AM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
(10-02-2013 07:46 AM)BlazerGrad88 Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 10:48 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Isn't it a bit unfair to include McGee's stats for 2013 after only four games, which included two SEC teams?

Yes

It is unfair, but that doesn't hide the fact we gave up 28 points to a D2 team and Troy shredded us for 30-33 passing. Pretty sure Northwestern State and Troy are not in the SEC. It is more unfair to compare offensive numbers, I think they will skyrocket for us in conference play.
10-02-2013 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Appears McGee used the LSU and NW games as glorified scrimmages once things got out of hand. Just look at the play calling and substitutions. He is focusing on C-USA. I'm not too concerned in giving up 28 to NW when you analyze how it happened and what was going on. Ultimately the season starts now and he needs a winning record in C-USA.
10-02-2013 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(10-02-2013 08:18 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Appears McGee used the LSU and NW games as glorified scrimmages once things got out of hand. Just look at the play calling and substitutions. He is focusing on C-USA. I'm not too concerned in giving up 28 to NW when you analyze how it happened and what was going on. Ultimately the season starts now and he needs a winning record in C-USA.

+1
I can't wait for Saturday to get here. This is a HUGE game for the program/Coach McGee.
10-02-2013 08:29 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(10-02-2013 02:57 AM)Grantsky Wrote:  Hopefully this makes sense. I think UAB's schedule has played as difficult as possible. It is completely plausible that Troy could have folded when we led big, resulting in a blowout. LSU could have sleepwalked through three quarters and dug a hole against us, instead they unleashed the wrath of Odell Beckham on an unsuspecting secondary.

Our opponents have played very solid football against us every week and for a relatively new regime and a team that still can't seem to get all 8 spark plugs firing, these numbers make sense. I think games like LSU-UAB, UT-Oregon, Baylor-anyone are simply statistical outliers that make early season analysis difficult.

I will say, however, that using the simply "eye-test", UAB looks like a team with more raw talent at more positions than at any time under Callaway's tenure.

Under McGee, I think of the team as a slowly improving process, where our patience will eventually be rewarded with some big wins (Vandy would have been nice). The catalyst is the rate of McGee's maturation as a head coach. I have optimism, because he genuinely seems to hate losing.

Neil Callaway did not hate losing, he just liked winning more. As a result, I spent the Callaway years hoping Joe's feet could work enough magic to get us to a bowl-praying Neil didn't get in the way.

I think the most talented team we have fielded was 2009 season under Calloway. The only problem with that team was we had no depth.

We actually had a decent d-line with Bryant turner and Tim Davis. And our receivers were pretty awesome that year with frantrell, rodell, Mario, Jeff Anderson nick Adams, zach Lankford .
10-02-2013 08:48 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(10-02-2013 08:48 AM)DragonLair Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 02:57 AM)Grantsky Wrote:  Hopefully this makes sense. I think UAB's schedule has played as difficult as possible. It is completely plausible that Troy could have folded when we led big, resulting in a blowout. LSU could have sleepwalked through three quarters and dug a hole against us, instead they unleashed the wrath of Odell Beckham on an unsuspecting secondary.

I think the most talented team we have fielded was 2009 season under Calloway. The only problem with that team was we had no depth.

We actually had a decent d-line with Bryant turner and Tim Davis. And our receivers were pretty awesome that year with frantrell, rodell, Mario, Jeff Anderson nick Adams, zach Lankford .

The 2001 squad had Bryan Thomas (NFL), Roddy White (NFL), Eddie Freeman (NFL), Otis Leverette (NFL), Willie Quinnie (NFL for short while), Rod Taylor, Rajohn Myles, Chris Brown, and several other talented players.
10-02-2013 09:30 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(10-02-2013 09:30 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

The 2001 squad had Bryan Thomas (NFL), Roddy White (NFL), Eddie Freeman (NFL), Otis Leverette (NFL), Willie Quinnie (NFL for short while), Rod Taylor, Rajohn Myles, Chris Brown, and several other talented players.

I was talking in Calloway, McGee era.

I wasn't a fan when Watson was coach. I never went through those heartaches.
10-02-2013 11:55 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(10-02-2013 11:55 AM)DragonLair Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 09:30 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

I was talking in Calloway, McGee era.

I wasn't a fan when Watson was coach. I never went through those heartaches.

You're like my kids. They don't even remember UAB football being any good. Watson sucked but his era was a Golden Age compared to what came after.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 12:28 PM by BlazerGreen.)
10-02-2013 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.