Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Government shutdown and affect on Navy football games
Bookmark and Share
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Government shutdown and affect on Navy football games
Mention of toledo vs navy in this article on possible cancellation of games if the shutdown drags on.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/179...t-shutdown
10-01-2013 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Government shutdown and affect on Navy football games
(10-01-2013 01:07 PM)adunifon Wrote:  Mention of toledo vs navy in this article on possible cancellation of games if the shutdown drags on.

Dang. I was OK with it until now. Call your Congressmen, people! It just got serious.
10-01-2013 03:58 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Better help Lourdes get a football team together i guess. Only Congress can have an entire year to do something, do nothing instead, and then scream and point fingers at each other about who screwed up more. Embarrassing. Deal with the real problem like adults and end this stupid shutdown.
10-01-2013 05:34 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC and Toledo
if this is true, then shouldnt red light/ speed cameras be shut down also?
10-01-2013 06:43 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(10-01-2013 06:43 PM)crusher38 Wrote:  if this is true, then shouldnt red light/ speed cameras be shut down also?

Shouldn't that have been voted on?
10-01-2013 06:56 PM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2013 05:34 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Better help Lourdes get a football team together i guess. Only Congress can have an entire year to do something, do nothing instead, and then scream and point fingers at each other about who screwed up more. Embarrassing. Deal with the real problem like adults and end this stupid shutdown.
Right... just keep printing $85B per month! No worries! Be HAPPY!
10-01-2013 07:04 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-01-2013 03:58 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 01:07 PM)adunifon Wrote:  Mention of toledo vs navy in this article on possible cancellation of games if the shutdown drags on.

Dang. I was OK with it until now. Call your Congressmen, people! It just got serious.

haha

seriously, while I am no big fan of the Affordable Care Act and the way it uses govt to commercialize a public health issue (access to proper medical care). the reality is the bill was passed in 2009. it was challenged in the courts per consitutionality and upheld and here we are in 2013 w the republicans shutting down the entire federal govt (which just laid off about 1/5 of my state) as a last resort. it reminds me of a child in the supermarket who wants everything and when they don't get their way throws a tantrum to make everybody miserable. bring back spanking.
10-01-2013 07:28 PM
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2013 06:56 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 06:43 PM)crusher38 Wrote:  if this is true, then shouldnt red light/ speed cameras be shut down also?

Shouldn't that have been voted on?

it hasnt been voted on by the senate. and i just got word the cameras will stay on....and they wonder why we're in debt so much.......un needed stuff like cameras
10-01-2013 07:48 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
All I know about cameras is how much nicer my commute to work is.

As for the rest, I think I'll just curl up into a ball over there in the corner. Wake me when it's better.
10-01-2013 07:50 PM
Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
Cancelled armed services sporting events, yet another thing we can blame Cons for.03-lmfao
10-01-2013 07:54 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Wow. Could leave Toledo with total 11 games. A non home and home with Navy. 5 home games this season. A lost game for fan-plan and season ticket buyers. And 3 weeks to prepare for BGSUCKS.
10-01-2013 09:48 PM
Advertisement

crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

(10-01-2013 09:48 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Navy. 5 home games this season. A lost game for fan-plan and season ticket buyers.

they'll think of something.....if they didnt brainstorm this scenario before they put out the season pack plans....then they need serious help
10-01-2013 09:58 PM
UTCHARGER73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TOLEDO
Temple would miss out on a game as well. If its a no go at least a week in advanced then I say we play the Owls!
10-01-2013 09:59 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(10-01-2013 09:59 PM)UTCHARGER73 Wrote:  Temple would miss out on a game as well. If its a no go at least a week in advanced then I say we play the Owls!
No thanks. They're far too good for the MAC. I'm guessing they must be undefeated this year, no?
10-01-2013 10:12 PM
nickthequick Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2013 09:59 PM)UTCHARGER73 Wrote:  Temple would miss out on a game as well. If its a no go at least a week in advanced then I say we play the Owls!

I noticed that, but Temple would also be losing a home game so one team has to bend. And though we are the better team this year, Temple does consider themselves a big boy. Week 8 is the week with the most teams on a bye, but the short notice and needing approval for a 13th game form the NCAA makes me think that Toledo will only play 11 this year 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 10:15 PM by nickthequick.)
10-01-2013 10:14 PM
nickthequick Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2013 10:12 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
No thanks. They're far too good for the MAC. I'm guessing they must be undefeated this year, no?

They do have a 0 somewhere in their record
10-01-2013 10:16 PM
Advertisement

NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Just to be clear, the government shut down is due to some 80 Tea Party members of Congress and the lack of the Speaker to be a leader. This group of 80 pledged in their campaigns running up to the 2010 election to shut down the government and now they have lived up to their pledge. The question is how long they will keep the shut down going and what action the Speaker with take.
10-02-2013 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
If Temple has the same date open because of the Gov't mess. I say play them. We got screwed out of a game by ole Sweater Vest because 9/11.

I have heard only 20% of the Federal Gov't is shut down.
Not to get into a political debate but ole Dirtbag Harry is to blame too. He won't negotiate. The House has sent a lot of small bills to fund specific individual departments of the Gov't (including the military), and he will not let the Senate vote on them. It's all or nothing.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 10:58 AM by Terry.)
10-02-2013 10:58 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(10-02-2013 10:22 AM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  Just to be clear, the government shut down is due to some 80 Tea Party members of Congress and the lack of the Speaker to be a leader. This group of 80 pledged in their campaigns running up to the 2010 election to shut down the government and now they have lived up to their pledge. The question is how long they will keep the shut down going and what action the Speaker with take.

I'm not taking sides and I loathe both parties right now but this whole shutdown starts and ends with that dingbat we have as our president...
10-02-2013 11:36 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
The government will remain shut down until such time as public opinion clearly and unambiguously assigns blame for the shutdown to one of the two major political parties (which might be a tough choice since both parties work for the special interests that own and operate them, not the public good). Once the public assigns the blame, the party on the short end of the public opinion poll will rapidly step back from their position and the shutdown will be over. Then both sides can go back to business as usual and continue to spend the country into bankruptcy as they kick the can a bit further down the road refusing to acknowledge the inevitable.

In the meantime, there is one thing you always be assured of: Any level of government seeking public support for additional funding will punish the public until they yell "uncle" and give the government whatever they want. What is first thing a local government does if it doesn't get a new tax it wants? Do they cut back administrative staffs or administrative perks or eliminate unnecessary agencies? Of course not----they always go after the jugular and curtain garbage collection and fire and police protection for openers in order to extort the desired tax increase from the public.

In the case of the Federal shutdown they will cut football games (which is probably one of the few endeavors that the feds are involve in that actually operates in the black), close White House tours and other things that the public actually enjoy. You can rest assured they will not suspend foreign aid, drone attacks or NSA spying and other such activities.

I just hope that Mike O'Brien had the foresight to include a clause requiring a very, very large penalty for breaking the contract for any reason.

PS----my understanding is that this started out as a one-for-one that turned into a one-and-done in UT's favor once Navy decided to join the AAC and had conference game obligations as well as games with the other two academies.
10-02-2013 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.