Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Smaug's $0.02
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Smaug's $0.02
This will be brief. (I think).

We got our asses stomped. There's not much getting around it.

The Good

1. Kennard Backman is an NFL tight end, and nothing I saw yesterday disabused me of that opinion.

2. Darius Powell's TD catch was beastly.

3. Little Smaug running band smack on the Marching Anchors or whatever the hell they call themselves.

4. (or better, at least). Our pass rush. It's one thing to harangue NW St's QB, it's another to dust off an $EC QB a few times.

5. There were only 4.

The Bad

1. Heh, we all watched the same game, right?

The Ugly

1. JJ Nelson going down. I haven't heard anything on him, and hope he's up and running soon.

2. Second-dumbest coaching moment: Delay penalty out of a time out. How the hell does that happen? It's like Watson left some karma floating around out there.

3. Dumbest coaching moment: Vandy running the ball on first down on their last possession instead of taking a knee. Big tackle went down in a heap. If he's seriously injured, that's directly on Franklin's head. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

4. Halftime adjustments (or lack thereof). Our offensive line looked pretty good in the first half, and was shoved around like rag dolls in the second. Vandy adjusted. Troy adjusted. Why don't we?

5. I neither encourage, nor do I condone vandalism, but If I'd had an RPG, I'd have done something about that damn horn.

Questions I have

1. How many more people have to go down before Nolan Smith and Cortez Webb sniff the field again?

2. Jordan Howard is a plow horse. Why isn't he getting the ball near the goal line?

3. That direct snap to the running back. Why can't we defend it? It ain't complicated.

4. How hot is Reggie Johnson's seat?

So, what does this mean, Barbara?

Bottom line, as embarrassing and demoralizing as yesterday was, we're pretty much where most but the most optimistic of us thought we'd be this morning. We're starting conference play next week, and I no longer believe any remaining game is a gimme. Austin Brown is our QB if we can protect the QB. JP is if we can't. Yesterday was humbling. In the words of the immortal Woody Hayes, nothing cleanses the spirit like getting the **** kicked out of you. Next game is a winnable conference home game. A more important game than yesterday. I'll be there.

That's all I got. For now. I think.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013 11:59 AM by Smaug.)
09-29-2013 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
RE: Smaug's $0.02
The delay of game was because the official wouldn't get off the ball fast enough.

AB didn't have enough time to get the play snapped because of that.

McGee was fuming from that.
09-29-2013 12:24 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
UAB is playing like a freshman / sophomore dominated team of 2* and 3* recruits should be expected to play this season, and we don't like it. I hope the conference schedule will be more equal to our capabilities and we can win most of those games ( After watching ECU beat down UNC, I am not really optimistic for our game there.)

Both of our QBs were very inconsistent in being on target with their passes. Over or under, left or right (and to the defender a few times - fortunately dropped more often than caught) so that good throws seemed more a function of chance than purpose. Neither seemed to work through a progression of receivers but rather threw only to the one they picked first no matter the coverage.

Nelson's early drop in the end zone when we had the chance to tie the score at "7 all" so we had to settle for 3 may have broken our game more than would normally be expected. UAB had blown its chance to make a statement to play at Vandy's level and we never got that close again.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013 12:26 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
09-29-2013 12:24 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(09-29-2013 12:24 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  UAB is playing like a freshman / sophomore dominated team of 2* and 3* recruits should be expected to play this season, and we don't like it. I hope the conference schedule will be more equal to our capabilities and we can win most of those games ( After watching ECU beat down UNC, I am not really optimistic for our game there.)

Both of our QBs were very inconsistent in being on target with their passes. Over or under, left or right (and to the defender a few times - fortunately dropped more often than caught) so that good throws seemed more a function of chance than purpose. Neither seemed to work through a progression of receivers but rather threw only to the one they picked first no matter the coverage.

Nelson's early drop in the end zone when we had the chance to tie the score at "7 all" so we had to settle for 3 may have broken our game more than would normally be expected. UAB had blown its chance to make a statement to play at Vandy's level and we never got that close again.

Yep, with the vast majority of them being 2-stars. Of course, some of them like Staples/Howard/etc. are way better than advertised by the recruiting guru's.
09-29-2013 12:27 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
The answer to smaugs first question bewilders me too. Both are experienced players at least as good as others out there. That they aren't on the field is ridiculous.
09-29-2013 01:18 PM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

One more good: non-conference play is over. We enter conference play against teams that seem to suck just as much as we do.
09-29-2013 01:34 PM
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Good points, as always, Smaug. Had some things gone right for us on our first few possessions we'd be talking about a different game today (maybe still a loss, but different). Some play calling hurt us a bit (not running on 3rd and 1, not using Howard on the goal line).

Something I haven't seen brought up as much is Brown's struggle last night. McGee stated in the postgame that Brown didn't go through the pre-snap reads correctly and called some of the wrong plays.

All-in-all, I believe the defense is actually improving, despite the frustration from everyone here. I'm actually encouraged by seeing roughing the passer penalties, because we couldn't even get to the QB in Game 1.

The good news is that there are no top-half SEC teams remaining on the schedule. I thought McGee actually made a good point when he stated that the defense gave our offense a chance. Until the Wildcat TD, this was absolutely true.
09-29-2013 01:36 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(09-29-2013 12:24 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The delay of game was because the official wouldn't get off the ball fast enough.

AB didn't have enough time to get the play snapped because of that.

McGee was fuming from that.

yes...this was a TERRIBLE performance by the ref. he was standing on the ball with the play clock running. as i recall (and my memory may be off), when the ref stepped off the ball, there was less than 15 on the play clock
09-29-2013 01:42 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
As to Nelson, I assume it's bad sprain as he came out 2nd half w/ taped ankle & tried warmup but couldn't go. If bad sprain it might be a couple of wks or more before he comes back (one of those dreaded high ankle sprains) I assume the same might be of Howard but mark both as ??? this weekend right now.
09-29-2013 01:43 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Yeah, that wildcat TD (after a 40 yard return) was bad. Another turning point was that TD right before the half. I know it was inches away, but if we hold there, it's a two score game with momentum going into the locker room. I thought we had moments when we played very well, and were very much in it until that TD. Then, as always, when it all goes to hell, it seems to do so in a hurry.

I may get called a wuss for this, but I think throwing deep so many times up so big in the 4th quarter was a pretty low rent thing to do.
09-29-2013 01:46 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(09-29-2013 01:46 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Yeah, that wildcat TD (after a 40 yard return) was bad. Another turning point was that TD right before the half. I know it was inches away, but if we hold there, it's a two score game with momentum going into the locker room. I thought we had moments when we played very well, and were very much in it until that TD. Then, as always, when it all goes to hell, it seems to do so in a hurry.

I may get called a wuss for this, but I think throwing deep so many times up so big in the 4th quarter was a pretty low rent thing to do.

You are correct, but they don't play us again for a long time (1996-2013 kind of time) so they weren't overly concerned with how we felt. Their staff was probably thinking about how best to get ready for conference play from now on out. Besides that, they might have felt they needed the greatest margin they could manage for rating purposes.
09-29-2013 02:17 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Crane seemed to imply that there was something in the works that might result in Vandy and UAB playing again...
09-29-2013 02:24 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(09-29-2013 02:24 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Crane seemed to imply that there was something in the works that might result in Vandy and UAB playing again...

I'm pretty ambivalent about that.

On the one hand, It's an easy drive, Nashville is a nice city, and their fans were okay.

On the other hand, I guess the game just put a bad taste in my mouth about playing them.

That,and that damn horn. 03-lol

We've given them two in Nashville. I hope any talk of playing them again involves bringing them to the 'ham.
09-29-2013 02:41 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Exactly Smaug. Vandy isn't beneath doing home-and-homes with Umass, so if we play them again, it needs to be part of a home-and-home.

As for the running up of the score, I agree with you, but after we scored and converted the "Ohio St" kick early in the 4th, I think that relinquished any need for mercy.
09-29-2013 02:45 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

Crap. I forgot all about that onside kick. Another thing of beauty. I told Little Smaug right before it happened, "If we can just drop it over the front lines heads..."
09-29-2013 02:51 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Yeah I knew it was coming when I saw no one in that area of the field for Vandy. I just hate that we didn't score again to make it 38-24...could've been interesting.
09-29-2013 02:53 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
(09-29-2013 02:53 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  Yeah I knew it was coming when I saw no one in that area of the field for Vandy. I just hate that we didn't score again to make it 38-24...could've been interesting.

UAB won the onside kick and then failed to take any advantage of it - not even one first down.
09-29-2013 04:14 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(09-29-2013 04:14 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(09-29-2013 02:53 PM)FNblazer Wrote:  Yeah I knew it was coming when I saw no one in that area of the field for Vandy. I just hate that we didn't score again to make it 38-24...could've been interesting.

UAB won the onside kick and then failed to take any advantage of it - not even one first down.

That's kind of sad too.....Jimmy Jean made an awesome play to get the ball back!
09-29-2013 04:23 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(09-29-2013 04:23 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  [quote='BAMANBLAZERFAN' pid='9786573' dateline='1380489293']
[quote='FNblazer' pid='9786313' dateline='1380484410']

That's kind of sad too.....Jimmy Jean made an awesome play to get the ball back!

Yeah, amazing how he was able to get to that ball considering how much crow he must have been wooffing down from letting #87 own him on 2 deep
'interceptable' balls. I hope he has learned a lesson from smack talking without being able to walk the walk.
09-29-2013 06:09 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I don't like to call out players, but that's what I was referring to when I said this game was humbling.
09-29-2013 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.