Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EA Sports will not produce any further college football video games
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/09/26/ea-...all-series

Apparently several teams pulled the rights to use their logo and colors.
09-26-2013 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
RE: EA Sports will not produce any further college football video games
(09-26-2013 06:19 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/09/26/ea-...all-series

Apparently several teams pulled the rights to use their logo and colors.

That's some greedy BS right there.

EA Sports NCAA football is a powerful marketing tool for them and they are too stupid to see that.
09-26-2013 07:04 PM
SpiritCymbal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga. Southern
It nothing to do with greed on the institutions part. You want to focus the blame some place, the name is Ed O'Bannon and the lawsuit against the NCAA about using players likeness'. It's about the players greed to get a piece of that cash cow that has caused the end of that franchise.
09-26-2013 07:12 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-26-2013 07:12 PM)SpiritCymbal Wrote:  It nothing to do with greed on the institutions part. You want to focus the blame some place, the name is Ed O'Bannon and the lawsuit against the NCAA about using players likeness'. It's about the players greed to get a piece of that cash cow that has caused the end of that franchise.

Really, a private corporation making a ton of money on kids, not paying them a nickel. The kids are greedy? Your values are anti capitalism. and anti American. These corporations had zero problems using their name, likeness.

How is that not wrong in your view? The kids have a contract with their colleges to play football, and yes even in front of TV sets, not selling their likeness for zero.
09-26-2013 07:31 PM
insideualr Offline
Lord of the Trojans

I Root For: UALR
That is sad i loved those games but everyone has to get theirs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
09-26-2013 07:37 PM
Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(09-26-2013 07:37 PM)insideualr Wrote:  That is sad i loved those games but everyone has to get theirs....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It might be a good thing. Before EA dominance there were several companies making NFL and college football games. They were far superior to what EA was doing those days. Competition is a good thing. These games were also available for the PC.
09-26-2013 07:45 PM
Advertisement

RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
I am very saddened by this. The only ones that get hurt in the end are the fans.
09-26-2013 08:04 PM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
EA is probably one of the worst video game companies in existence.

Hopefully the NCAA rights get picked up by someone else. The EA monopoly was annoying.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 08:57 PM by mathenis89.)
09-26-2013 08:57 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
I'm sure other App and Georgia Southern fans were looking to playing with our teams without using team builder at last.
09-26-2013 09:22 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Game Breaker used to be better than NCAA.

But I do have a problem with those players wanting to get paid by these companies. Their names aren't used, their likenesses are.
Most of those guys get their education paid for and they get trained for a job to make a living. For some of them, it is training to go play and the next level. It is fame and stardom for them. It will be the fans who lose in this one. Funny thing is that as soon as any current player wins such a suit, they will immediately be ineligible to play because they would have been paid because they play football. So what if the school makes money that helps pay their scholarship, housing, nice facilities, better locker rooms etc. (THAT THEY USE!). The school also makes money when people buy tickets.. and hey.. Why don't they get a cut from the concession stands since people are really coming to see them anyway right?

It is ABSURD! They are going to have to have a contract for all student athletes now that gives a release to the University to use their likenesses etc., before they let anybody on a college team.
They want to get paid? Let them create their own game, produce and distribute it after they have completed their eligibility.

Bottom line is that they are already being compensated by just having the honor and privilege of putting on that uniform and getting to play this game we all love on the stage provided. "The boys of fall".. kings of the school and all that. How many swinging "shWANGS" do you know that would give their right nut just to be able to do that. Throw in the scholarships and that is what they were promised - nothing else. (Unless they are SEC and then they have probably already been $PAID$ )
09-27-2013 01:18 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(09-26-2013 09:22 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  I'm sure other App and Georgia Southern fans were looking to playing with our teams without using team builder at last.

Really. I haven't bought it in 6 years anyway - they really screwed up the game play imop after 08. I was waiting on them to "fix" it or add Georgia Southern before I bought it again. Guess the party is over, they've killed it for everyone. Man, I'm tired of people wanting money for nothing and feeling so entitled.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 01:23 AM by The4thOption.)
09-27-2013 01:23 AM
Advertisement

Louisianafanrcajun90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
Frontpage Sports produced the very best NFL simulation of the early 90's. This was before Madden had a monopoly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Page_Sports_Football
09-27-2013 02:19 AM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Yeah, you guys are right. Most of these kids at big schools only get about $30,000 in scholarship funds every year, they could probably use a little more money. [/sarcasm]
09-27-2013 07:59 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
welp, not buying a PS4
09-27-2013 08:00 AM
cajunbane Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cajuns
Looking at it from a silver lining point of view...destruction is a form of creation. Sometimes you have to raze everything to the ground to move forward. I look forward to what comes next. What EA was doing was boring, old, and recycled time and time again. It had to be broken down. Otherwise, it would have kept stumbling forward like a drunk just barely staying on it's feet long enough to make it home from the bar. The last good NCAA was NCAA 99. The year before the BCS when you could chose BCS or 16 team playoff. Since then...downhill. I hope this starts the beginning of the end for EA as a software magnate. We all need to be taken down a peg or two. EA needs to drop about 100 pegs.
09-27-2013 08:08 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
The best game EA has is Battlefield. I love that franchise. Getting a PS4 just so I can play Battlefield 4 on 64 man servers.
09-27-2013 08:16 AM
Advertisement

cajunbane Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cajuns
(09-27-2013 08:16 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  The best game EA has is Battlefield. I love that franchise. Getting a PS4 just so I can play Battlefield 4 on 64 man servers.

Starting to lose track of war simulators these days...saturated market overflowing with tweens screaming into headsets isn't my idea of a good time. Pass.
09-27-2013 08:28 AM
97App Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Well at least this saves me some money. Haven't bought a NCAA football game since the last time App was included and was looking forward to the next edition with us in it.
09-27-2013 08:31 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

(09-27-2013 08:28 AM)cajunbane Wrote:  
(09-27-2013 08:16 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  The best game EA has is Battlefield. I love that franchise. Getting a PS4 just so I can play Battlefield 4 on 64 man servers.

Starting to lose track of war simulators these days...saturated market overflowing with tweens screaming into headsets isn't my idea of a good time. Pass.

Yes the market is flooded, but Battlefield doesn't have NEARLY as much of that as Call of Duty. I quit that game because I got so sick of XxXNoScopezXxX and xBlazeIt420x finding exploits in the game and ruining any fun that could actually be had.

I'm hopeful for what cajunbane is saying. Maybe this could be the best thing. Get it out of the hands of EA and into someone else that actually CARES about making a solid product. NCAA-- was a cash cow that they put minimal effort into each year. Tweak the players a little bit, update the graphics a little, and change the playbook around just enough so it's "different" each year. The mechanics of the game were terrible. Exploits and "perfect plays" were too easy to abuse. Rather than making the game challenging, or involve any strategy, the team you've been beating for 3.5qtrs just goes into God mode to keep the score close. Complete garbage and as sad as I am that we never made it into the game, I'm hopefully that the best is yet to come.
09-27-2013 09:13 AM
jim121256 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(09-27-2013 01:18 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  Game Breaker used to be better than NCAA.

But I do have a problem with those players wanting to get paid by these companies. Their names aren't used, their likenesses are.
Most of those guys get their education paid for and they get trained for a job to make a living. For some of them, it is training to go play and the next level. It is fame and stardom for them. It will be the fans who lose in this one. Funny thing is that as soon as any current player wins such a suit, they will immediately be ineligible to play because they would have been paid because they play football. So what if the school makes money that helps pay their scholarship, housing, nice facilities, better locker rooms etc. (THAT THEY USE!). The school also makes money when people buy tickets.. and hey.. Why don't they get a cut from the concession stands since people are really coming to see them anyway right?

It is ABSURD! They are going to have to have a contract for all student athletes now that gives a release to the University to use their likenesses etc., before they let anybody on a college team.
They want to get paid? Let them create their own game, produce and distribute it after they have completed their eligibility.

Bottom line is that they are already being compensated by just having the honor and privilege of putting on that uniform and getting to play this game we all love on the stage provided. "The boys of fall".. kings of the school and all that. How many swinging "shWANGS" do you know that would give their right nut just to be able to do that. Throw in the scholarships and that is what they were promised - nothing else. (Unless they are SEC and then they have probably already been $PAID$ )

I disagree with the idea that "just having the honor and privilege of putting on that uniform and getting to play this game we all love on the stage provided" is enough. Yeah, that's a big thing, and it's all my son got for playing college football... except for the student loans... and the costs that his parents paid... and the extended time in school because workouts and practice always seemed to keep him from getting some class that he needed for his degree... but I do agree that that's a big deal in and of itself, because I know how much playing meant to him. Just remember that every team has walkons, and they're paying the same costs as everybody else, while working at what is in essense a fulltime, unpaid job.

Just please keep in mind that most of the players will never play pro ball, even if they're at Alabama. Also remember that the current system makes it possible for kids of very little means to attend high-end, high-ticket universities... but doesn't allow any legal way for these kids to come up with the money to fit in with the other students at those schools. For instance, a kid from south central LA can attend USC on scholarship, but the university can't give him the money to dress like the kids whose parents can afford $40k a year in tuition and expenses. He can't afford to go out and do the same things as the other students. In fact, the only other people on campus in his position are other athletes... and people wonder why the athletes aren't assimilated into the general student body. I won't even go into what happens to the kids who are recruited to come to these universities without adequate academic backgrounds, other than to say that Big State U is a lot more interested in keeping them eligible than they are in the students actually graduating with a worthwhile degree.

I really struggle with the concept of paying theoretically amateur athletes, but there are other things to consider as well. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm convinced that the way things work now is not only unfair, but guaranteed to create illegal activity on the part of some players and institutions.
09-27-2013 09:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.