Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tarik Black quotes from his new coach, Bill Self
Bookmark and Share
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
Tarik Black quotes from his new coach, Bill Self
Self on Tarik Black "great chance to play as much as he wants" -- "leader of the big guys already)

"Tarik Black may have been the biggest steal in the recruiting class." - Self.

Lifted from twitter concerning yesterday's Kansas press conference.

I'm glad to see Tarik excelling at his new program, and I'm glad he's receiving such high praise from a Championship level coach. I really wish we could've kept Tarik, and I think we'll see some good play from him this season with Kansas.

FIAT: This thread is to applaud a Tiger alumni and a Memphis area native who gave three years of his life to UofM. Please keep childish bashing out of the thread.
09-26-2013 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market
RE: Tarik Black quotes from his new coach, Bill Self
The only person that got in Tarik's way here was Tarik himself. If he actually tried and played like a grown man, he would have been an all- American.
09-26-2013 11:33 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2013 11:33 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  The only person that got in Tarik's way here was Tarik himself. If he actually tried and played like a grown man, he would have been an all- American.

Sounds like he's doing well for himself at KU, though.
09-26-2013 11:34 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Tarik could have played as much as he wanted last year, if he had gotten his defense right, fouls down and mind right. I hope he's got all of that squared away now. Potential for impact was never his problem.
09-26-2013 11:37 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2013 11:37 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Tarik could have played as much as he wanted last year, if he had gotten his defense right, fouls down and mind right. I hope he's got all of that squared away now. Potential for impact was never his problem.

I'm curious to see if these things will be issues with him this season, especially the foul situation. His defense (other than his fouling propensity) I never thought was an issue.
09-26-2013 11:40 AM
QuitoTiger Offline
¿Q' hubo, pues?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Preseason indicates. Mid season dictates. Post season culminates. See how it is, come Feb.-March.
09-26-2013 11:40 AM
Advertisement

stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

Tarik always talked a big game.
09-26-2013 11:47 AM
Tony85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sanity
What do people expect these coaches to say about their players? Most everything that comes from any of their mouths (Josh included) has a recruiting slant. If Tarik works out then Self may be trying to get a KU foothole in Memphis. Tarik may play better because they don't need Tarik to produce as much as we did so maybe he doesn't feel as much pressure.

All of this chatter will eventually turn into an indictment of Josh or Tarik. If he produces then "Josh can't coach" If he doesn't produce "Tarik was overrated"

Good luck to the kid
09-26-2013 11:58 AM
Grateful Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Antelope
Coach Self has said nothing that wasn't said while Tarik was playing for the Tigers... His freshman year he was supposed to be the biggest steal in the recruiting class, every year he was the leader of the team, very vocal and very supportive of his teammates! And then... the season started and Tarik fell apart, got into foul trouble, etc. etc.

I truly hope this year is different for Tarik, he seems like a wonderful young man, hopefully not having a bunch of idiots in his ear telling him how his coach and the staff are incompetent will lead to something great for the young man. Before I believe any of this I will have to witness it on the court for a season.

Best of luck Tarik, I hope you make Memphis proud!

Go Tigers Go!
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 12:00 PM by Grateful Tiger.)
09-26-2013 11:59 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(09-26-2013 11:40 AM)QuitoTiger Wrote:  Preseason indicates. Mid season dictates. Post season culminates. See how it is, come Feb.-March.

This!!^^^

If pre-season comments & predictions told the story, We'd be a top #10 every year.
09-26-2013 12:08 PM
natebshaw09 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
Didn't pastner say the same about Stan?
09-26-2013 12:23 PM
Advertisement

UofMark Offline
Heisman

The true test of Black will come when he hits his first patch of adversity. It'll be interesting watching him this season. I wish him well but honestly thought he wasn't near as mentally tough as he needs to be.
09-26-2013 12:35 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2013 11:40 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(09-26-2013 11:37 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Tarik could have played as much as he wanted last year, if he had gotten his defense right, fouls down and mind right. I hope he's got all of that squared away now. Potential for impact was never his problem.

I'm curious to see if these things will be issues with him this season, especially the foul situation. His defense (other than his fouling propensity) I never thought was an issue.

Tarik picked up a lot of fouls swiping at players as they went by. That's what I meant. And to be fair, some of those players had driven past our guards on the perimeter.
09-26-2013 12:37 PM
Bluebeard Offline
Not John Martin

If he plays much better at Kansas, will there be any questioning of how we handle big men here? JP's track record with developing bigs hasn't been very good. Just sayin.
09-26-2013 12:41 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Usually people don't change much. Tarik's not changing. He quit our team over and over again. Doesn't really concern us even if Self thinks he's the next Corliss Williamson, does it? Oh, and I really hope his graduate program at KU that he can't receive here is preparing him well for his future profession!
09-26-2013 12:42 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2013 12:37 PM)holyterror Wrote:  
(09-26-2013 11:40 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

Tarik picked up a lot of fouls swiping at players as they went by. That's what I meant. And to be fair, some of those players had driven past our guards on the perimeter.

I really don't remember seeing this. I remember Tarik picking up a lot of fouls by not moving his feet well in the paint after opposing guards had penetrated. This may just be two perspectives on the same event though.
09-26-2013 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Bluebeard Offline
Not John Martin

And on the other hand, if he's the same Tarik that he was at Memphis, then we can say that it had nothing to do with coaching and/or player development.
09-26-2013 12:43 PM
olegus Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
About fouls, what is a foul for a Memphis player may not be a fould for a Kansas player. Just saying.
09-26-2013 12:46 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
Who ?
09-26-2013 12:52 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-26-2013 11:58 AM)Tony85 Wrote:  What do people expect these coaches to say about their players? Most everything that comes from any of their mouths (Josh included) has a recruiting slant. If Tarik works out then Self may be trying to get a KU foothole in Memphis. Tarik may play better because they don't need Tarik to produce as much as we did so maybe he doesn't feel as much pressure.

All of this chatter will eventually turn into an indictment of Josh or Tarik. If he produces then "Josh can't coach" If he doesn't produce "Tarik was overrated"

Good luck to the kid

A lot of good points. Tarik might be all that Self described ... or none. I rather wait and see than judge based on pre-season coach speak. I mean Geron called Austin Nichols to some really nice pro player (forget who). I'm sure if someone started a thread with Geron's quote you'd get some of the same types of responses.
09-26-2013 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.