Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USF Fans: What do you think of Leavitt?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
USF Fans: What do you think of Leavitt?
I was just tossing around ideas for a new coach for Miami on the MAC boards since Treadwell is good as gone at this point. I thought that hiring Jim Leavitt would be a great idea for our program seeing how he has midwestern ties, a lot of experience, and a good track record since he built your program from essentially nothing to a contender. I'm obviously not in a position of power, but would you recommend him as a coach? How much was his salary during his last years in Tampa? Was the incident that led to his dismissal out of the blue or was he that kind of coach all along? Thanks for your responses.
09-24-2013 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: USF Fans: What do you think of Leavitt?
I'd take Leavitt over Treadwell for sure. Heck I'd take him over USF's coach now.
09-24-2013 08:32 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
The guy can win. He took USF with no brand, little money, and just moved up to D-1a to beat Auburn, FSU, Miami, etc.

The downside is he might choke a few players. How bad do you want to win?
09-24-2013 09:03 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
agree with cinci poster, leavitt is head and shoulders better than the two guys who have followed him.
09-24-2013 09:12 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am not a USF fan, but from the outside looking in, there were always questions about the integrity of some of the biggest USF players. They had one who was kicked from school right after his senior season ended because his wife was writing his papers for him, there were a several others who were recruited by USF after Florida and Florida State had passed on them because of grades and other issues. If I remember correctly, Leavitt also had issues with the administration over salary and control.

I think the choking incident was the proverbial match that lit the fuse. But the powder keg was already packed and primed.

I think if I were Miami, I'd be looking more towards a Turner Gill who proved he could win cleanly at Buffalo and would probably welcome a chance to get back into the FBS ranks. Or even take a flier on Bo Pellini who will likely be looking for work when the Huskers can him. Can you imagine a Red-hawk-Bobcat matchup featuring the former Nebraska Coach (Solich) and the former Nebraska Coach-who-replaced him?

(Correction... Solich was replaced by Callahan... I forgot him... But still the by-line of two former Husker coaches squaring off would be something...)
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 09:15 PM by BearcatJerry.)
09-24-2013 09:13 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(09-24-2013 09:13 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am not a USF fan, but from the outside looking in, there were always questions about the integrity of some of the biggest USF players. They had one who was kicked from school right after his senior season ended because his wife was writing his papers for him, there were a several others who were recruited by USF after Florida and Florida State had passed on them because of grades and other issues. If I remember correctly, Leavitt also had issues with the administration over salary and control.

I think the choking incident was the proverbial match that lit the fuse. But the powder keg was already packed and primed.

I think if I were Miami, I'd be looking more towards a Turner Gill who proved he could win cleanly at Buffalo and would probably welcome a chance to get back into the FBS ranks. Or even take a flier on Bo Pellini who will likely be looking for work when the Huskers can him. Can you imagine a Red-hawk-Bobcat matchup featuring the former Nebraska Coach (Solich) and the former Nebraska Coach-who-replaced him?

(Correction... Solich was replaced by Callahan... I forgot him... But still the by-line of two former Husker coaches squaring off would be something...)

Did you see Turner at Kansas?
09-24-2013 09:15 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I don't think Gill got a fair chance at Kansas... He was replacing a mess-of-a-coach in Mangino and he got less than two years. That's not enough time for anyone.
09-24-2013 09:17 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-24-2013 09:13 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am not a USF fan, but from the outside looking in, there were always questions about the integrity of some of the biggest USF players. They had one who was kicked from school right after his senior season ended because his wife was writing his papers for him, there were a several others who were recruited by USF after Florida and Florida State had passed on them because of grades and other issues. If I remember correctly, Leavitt also had issues with the administration over salary and control.

I agree with Jerry. Leavitt just does not fit in at all with Miami--- people who have been to Oxford know what I am talking about. If I were Miami I would look for someone like Ron Zook who is a Miami grad and former player. I know Treadwell also played at Miami but the Zookster is one hell of a recruiter and has a lot more HC experience than Treadwell has.

If/when Pelini gets canned I would guess some big program will quickly snatch him up as a defensive coordinator.
09-24-2013 09:20 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Leavitt was a hot mess during games and his teams were undisciplined headcases all too often as a result.

Dude was a maniac. A good coach who could not control himself enough on the sidelines to be effective
09-24-2013 09:23 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(09-24-2013 09:20 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I agree with Jerry. Leavitt just does not fit in at all with Miami--- people who have been to Oxford know what I am talking about. If I were Miami I would look for someone like Ron Zook who is a Miami grad and former player. I know Treadwell also played at Miami but the Zookster is one hell of a recruiter and has a lot more HC experience than Treadwell has.

If/when Pelini gets canned I would guess some big program will quickly snatch him up as a defensive coordinator.

Original coaching wish list in bold.

1. Jim Tressel: Will never happen because of the show clause and the money needed to lure him in, but I guess I could dream of the sweater vest in Oxford.
2. David Dean: Will never happen too since he probably could pick whatever AQ job he wants, but he's my ideal candidate.
3. Curt Cignetti: Lots of ties around the country (was WR coach for Julio Jones at Alabama), son to a Hall of Fame coach, successful thus far at Indiana-Pennsylvania (DII).
4. Luke Fickell: Did pretty well despite the crappy situation he was handed, and his many years as an assistant at OSU would help out a lot for instant credibility.
5. Jim Leavitt: USF never knew what they had in him, he built that program from the ground up and now they're suffering for getting too greedy.

(Note: I completely forgot that Leavitt had off the field issues and I assumed that USF fired him because they weren't happy with his results for some reason).
6. Ron Zook: This is a wild card. On one hand, he's an alum who would probably stay here for the rest of his career, and his recruiting prowess would give us a big edge over much of the G5. On the other hand, I saw him coach for many years at Illinois and he's just not very good at that. Ideally he could DC and recruit for a young HC and then take over if he leaves.
7. Mike Haywood: Yeah he left us hanging and you could attribute a lot of his success to his veteran assistants, but the guy got things done. Mike Riley worked out after he returned to Oregon State, maybe Haywood could if we put a hefty buyout into his contract and an escape clause in case of additional legal issues for that matter.

From what it sounds like, Leavitt was a problem, his off the field baggage seems substantial. Miami has traditionally been more strict than our MAC peers when it comes to academics and discipline, so that probably ends this idea (we have a new AD so perhaps things will change, for better or for worse).

On a related note, I'm not a fan of Gil, he seemed like a one-year wonder to me. Pelini would be interesting, we'll have to wait and see how that plays out. I know that our AD hired coaches with experience when he was at Rice and South Dakota, and that's what we need this time around. We can't afford to hope that another BCS assistant works out, otherwise we'll be the next Eastern Michigan within years. Would also be a more costly option.
09-24-2013 09:47 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-24-2013 09:47 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(09-24-2013 09:20 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I agree with Jerry. Leavitt just does not fit in at all with Miami--- people who have been to Oxford know what I am talking about. If I were Miami I would look for someone like Ron Zook who is a Miami grad and former player. I know Treadwell also played at Miami but the Zookster is one hell of a recruiter and has a lot more HC experience than Treadwell has.

Original coaching wish list in bold.

1. Jim Tressel: Will never happen because of the show clause and the money needed to lure him in, but I guess I could dream of the sweater vest in Oxford.
2. David Dean: Will never happen too since he probably could pick whatever AQ job he wants, but he's my ideal candidate.
3. Curt Cignetti: Lots of ties around the country (was WR coach for Julio Jones at Alabama), son to a Hall of Fame coach, successful thus far at Indiana-Pennsylvania (DII).
4. Luke Fickell: Did pretty well despite the crappy situation he was handed, and his many years as an assistant at OSU would help out a lot for instant credibility.
5. Jim Leavitt: USF never knew what they had in him, he built that program from the ground up and now they're suffering for getting too greedy.

(Note: I completely forgot that Leavitt had off the field issues and I assumed that USF fired him because they weren't happy with his results for some reason).
6. Ron Zook: This is a wild card. On one hand, he's an alum who would probably stay here for the rest of his career, and his recruiting prowess would give us a big edge over much of the G5. On the other hand, I saw him coach for many years at Illinois and he's just not very good at that. Ideally he could DC and recruit for a young HC and then take over if he leaves.
7. Mike Haywood: Yeah he left us hanging and you could attribute a lot of his success to his veteran assistants, but the guy got things done. Mike Riley worked out after he returned to Oregon State, maybe Haywood could if we put a hefty buyout into his contract and an escape clause in case of additional legal issues for that matter.

From what it sounds like, Leavitt was a problem, his off the field baggage seems substantial. Miami has traditionally been more strict than our MAC peers when it comes to academics and discipline, so that probably ends this idea (we have a new AD so perhaps things will change, for better or for worse).

On a related note, I'm not a fan of Gil, he seemed like a one-year wonder to me. Pelini would be interesting, we'll have to wait and see how that plays out. I know that our AD hired coaches with experience when he was at Rice and South Dakota, and that's what we need this time around. We can't afford to hope that another BCS assistant works out, otherwise we'll be the next Eastern Michigan within years. Would also be a more costly option.

Fickell would be a home run hire for Miami. Luke had the chance to coach at a MAC school before the Tressel scandal errupted but he chose to stay at home in Columbus. He is a great recruiter and given his ties to Ohio State would energize your fan base who root Scarlet and Gray for all sports but hockey. The only thing he would need to do is bring in top notch offensive coordinator and staff because that is not his forte.
09-24-2013 09:55 PM
Advertisement

Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC

Ron Zook is a banker now. No kidding. He's out of the football business. In banking in Ocala Florida
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...orida-bank

http://www.gatewaybankcfl.com/ocala_contact.html (scroll down...way down).

Maybe he'd come back, but he's definitely not been able to get any coaching job since getting canned by Illinois.
09-24-2013 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Remember when CJL was around, we became famous for bit OOC wins, and late season in-conference collapses. We were routinely ridiculed for it. It's one of the reasons, IMHO, USF 'sort of' wanted to move on from CJL. It was perceived he had peaked, but could not take us 'to the next level'. Not saying I agree with this... we were, by any sense of the word, a successful program. Just didn't go all the way, but the program was very young.

The choking incident was very polarizing. Both sides seem to have their supporters, witnesses... but he left, and that's where I get the sense that USF admin was looking to move on.

Didn't work out so well... yet.
09-24-2013 10:17 PM
EdisonDoyle Offline
1st String

I Root For: AAC
(09-24-2013 09:59 PM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  

Ron Zook is a banker now. No kidding. He's out of the football business. In banking in Ocala Florida
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...orida-bank

http://www.gatewaybankcfl.com/ocala_contact.html (scroll down...way down).

Maybe he'd come back, but he's definitely not been able to get any coaching job since getting canned by Illinois.

Zook does talking head work for FS1. He's still in the game to an extent.
09-25-2013 12:18 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

I think Miami should consider an older coach with HC experience. They young guys, if they have success, will just bolt for a bigger job. I think Ohio made the right move by hiring an established coach who isn't looking to climb the mountain. He has built a great MAC program and they've had sustained success. I think Zook, Fulmer (kind of old) or Tedford would be good hires.
09-25-2013 07:26 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Bull pretty much nails it:

When he left there was a sense of "Leavitt fatigue", in that while he had done a marvelous job building our program up from nothing to a modicum of national respectability, it also seemed as if we'd peaked under him as a 8-4, go to the Belk Bowl kind of team (not a bad level to be at, btw, you can do a lot worse), and that we needed a fresh approach to go to the next level.

As for me, I had three thoughts about points Bull makes: (1) beating big-name OOC teams was great of course, (2) I didn't blame him for the Big East collapses as much as others, because I felt a mitigating factor was that as a Florida team, we were at a big disadvantage traveling 1,000 miles north to play conference games in cold weather (how often do FSU or UF play teams up north in October or November? Almost never). And yet that said, (3) I also agreed with the idea that he'd taken us as far as he could.

The choking incident has always been strange for me. I think this was blown up a bit out of proportion because it came on the heels of what happened at Texas Tech, and by USF admins as an excuse to get rid of Leavitt, whom they were fatigued with as well. And it's a move I supported and still do. It was just time for him to go.

That said, I think Leavitt should have at least a street named for him or an athletic department building. He really did accomplish a whole lot as a program builder and on the field. He is our founding father.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 08:11 AM by quo vadis.)
09-25-2013 08:08 AM
Advertisement

MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(09-25-2013 12:18 AM)EdisonDoyle Wrote:  Zook does talking head work for FS1. He's still in the game to an extent.
Did not know that. I watched CBS Sports' "Inside College Football" last night for the first time this season and Zook is apparently a permanent panelist on there as well.

Regarding the thread, I would think he'd be a good choice for Miami U.

Has anyone ever wondered why John Chavis (Defensive Coordinator at LSU, formerly long time at Tennessee) has never landed a head coaching position ... and seemingly is never considered?
09-25-2013 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
I don't know why someone has not hired Craig Bohl at NDSU. I think this is his 10th year there as head coach.
09-25-2013 09:05 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Miami has a kind of advantage in that they don't need to worry about conferences, perception, ongoing legal issues, academic problems, or even big recruiting battles. They really only have 1 thing to fix and that is being competitive on the football field. When you're in that position, you are free to take a shot on a difference maker. To me, I would look at some of the younger coaches coming out of the FCS or even D2 ranks. The most innovative guy you can find. They need immediate wins on Saturdays there a lot more than they need a name or recruiting or buy-in.
09-25-2013 09:08 AM
SteveUCF19 Offline
1st String

(09-25-2013 09:05 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I don't know why someone has not hired Craig Bohl at NDSU. I think this is his 10th year there as head coach.

Maybe people have tried to hire him? It seems like he has it made where he's at. The grass isn't always greener in the FBS. Bobby Hauck had a great FCS program at Montana. He went 80-17 and made it to three national championship games. These days he's getting his face kicked in at UNLV.
09-25-2013 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.