Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: FBS vs. FCS games need to be limited
Bookmark and Share
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
OT: FBS vs. FCS games need to be limited
I found this article in today's Washington Post. It's an interesting read to say the least. FBS vs FCS
09-23-2013 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
RE: OT: FBS vs. FCS games need to be limited
(09-23-2013 09:55 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  I found this article in today's Washington Post. It's an interesting read to say the least. FBS vs FCS

They listed FIU among the FCS teams...

WHY WHY WHY WHY did CUSA let in FIU and FAU!?!?! That is two more spots that teams like App State, JMU, or a handful of other great programs could have taken and really added value to that conference...
09-23-2013 09:59 AM
bridgeforthduke Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(09-23-2013 09:59 AM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  
(09-23-2013 09:55 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  I found this article in today's Washington Post. It's an interesting read to say the least. FBS vs FCS

WHY WHY WHY WHY did CUSA let in FIU and FAU!?!?! That is two more spots that teams like App State, JMU, or a handful of other great programs could have taken and really added value to that conference...

Location. The rush to add teams in markets seems to be showing how silly and short sighted taking that approach is.
09-23-2013 10:00 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

Because they're from Florida and App St (and other unmentioned great programs) are not, and CUSA knows that even the second rate FBS programs from Florida (see UCF and USF) have a chance of being pretty decent from time to time due to the talent pool in that state.
09-23-2013 10:02 AM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(09-23-2013 10:02 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  

Because they're from Florida and App St (and other unmentioned great programs) are not, and CUSA knows that even the second rate FBS programs from Florida (see UCF and USF) have a chance of being pretty decent from time to time due to the talent pool in that state.

The difference between UCF/USF and FIU/FAU is night and day. Neither the talent nor the support have ever been there for FAU and FIU.
09-23-2013 11:07 AM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

I was having this argument with some friends who are Buckeye fans on Saturday as that score was rolling in, that it was “unfair” and “shouldn’t be allowed.” For someone who can be so smart about sports issues, Feinstein can be such a dope. So we’re protecting FAMU now? His choice for them is, drop football if you can’t balance your budget without payouts from FBS schools, or keep it but we need to shield you from the bad big boys at Ohio State. And I have a lot of trouble working up any sympathy for Buckeye fans. They have a waiting list for tickets and sell out every home game and there’s a thriving resale market. If fans look at their schedule and decide tickets aren’t worth buying because a bad FCS school is on it, someone else will step up.

I know there’s a lot of discussion about FBS schools limiting or even striking FCS games completely from their schedules, such as the chatter from the Big Ten. As an avid watcher of how political correctness comes around to bite people where they least expect it, I’m curious to see the reactions if this becomes more widespread. FAMU started playing football in 1938 and Savannah State started it back in 1912 (at lower levels than FCS, of course). Each school is public and historically black. I doubt each can fund its entire athletic program without the payouts from these FBS matchups. Does anyone else think there will be some pushback from certain groups if schools like this have to start dropping sports because FBS schools won’t schedule them?
09-23-2013 11:10 AM
Advertisement

JMUDukes92 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-23-2013 11:10 AM)QuinDuke Wrote:  

I was having this argument with some friends who are Buckeye fans on Saturday as that score was rolling in, that it was “unfair” and “shouldn’t be allowed.” For someone who can be so smart about sports issues, Feinstein can be such a dope. So we’re protecting FAMU now? His choice for them is, drop football if you can’t balance your budget without payouts from FBS schools, or keep it but we need to shield you from the bad big boys at Ohio State. And I have a lot of trouble working up any sympathy for Buckeye fans. They have a waiting list for tickets and sell out every home game and there’s a thriving resale market. If fans look at their schedule and decide tickets aren’t worth buying because a bad FCS school is on it, someone else will step up.

I know there’s a lot of discussion about FBS schools limiting or even striking FCS games completely from their schedules, such as the chatter from the Big Ten. As an avid watcher of how political correctness comes around to bite people where they least expect it, I’m curious to see the reactions if this becomes more widespread. FAMU started playing football in 1938 and Savannah State started it back in 1912 (at lower levels than FCS, of course). Each school is public and historically black. I doubt each can fund its entire athletic program without the payouts from these FBS matchups. Does anyone else think there will be some pushback from certain groups if schools like this have to start dropping sports because FBS schools won’t schedule them?

I didn't see in the article where he specifically said that games against FCS schools should be limited. I think he was referring to competition in general, where top level FBS schools playing low level FBS and FCS schools is the problem.I'm not saying I agree with the article because I don't.

I also noticed he completely got the score for Louisville vs Kentucky wrong. He said it was 49-7, but it was 27-13.

Stick to basketball, John.
09-23-2013 11:36 AM
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

I kind of liked the idea of only being allowed to schedule an FBS game if you make the playoffs. That route would definitely hurt schools who rely on money from their FBS games to operate but I think it would allow for better matchups against FBS foes and potentially limit some of the huge blowouts like Ohio State had.
09-23-2013 11:48 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Louisville beat a big boy FBS school by almost as much as Ohio State beat FAMU.
09-23-2013 11:50 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2013 11:48 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  I kind of liked the idea of only being allowed to schedule an FBS game if you make the playoffs. That route would definitely hurt schools who rely on money from their FBS games to operate but I think it would allow for better matchups against FBS foes and potentially limit some of the huge blowouts like Ohio State had.

Restricting it to FCS participants is a bad idea...too many weak auto qualifiers.

I wouldn't support any limitations, but if there was one put in place, it should be based on scholarships. In essence, an FBS team could only schedule a FCS program than sponsors a full 63 scholarship team.
09-23-2013 11:53 AM
QuinDuke Offline
Special Teams

(09-23-2013 11:48 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  I kind of liked the idea of only being allowed to schedule an FBS game if you make the playoffs. That route would definitely hurt schools who rely on money from their FBS games to operate but I think it would allow for better matchups against FBS foes and potentially limit some of the huge blowouts like Ohio State had.

I guess I just don't think those blowouts are that big of an issue. Feinstein acts like it sullies the sport that FAMU loses by 10 touchdowns, and has to dance around why it's bad but still sorta semi-ok (just annoying) for FAU to also lose by 10 TDs, and ULM by 9. If we're going to make blowouts against inferior teams an issue, then you ought to consider instituting relegation rules based on record and/or points in order to equalize competition, and while Feinstein might support that, he's not arguing for it here.

Saturday's game might be the only chance the FAMU players get to be on national TV during their collegiate careers, so I doubt they were upset about it. I realize that Ohio State doesn't owe it to any FCS schools to balance their athletic budgets, but it's not like anyone on either side was pressured into doing something they didn't want to.
09-23-2013 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(09-23-2013 12:49 PM)QuinDuke Wrote:  

I guess I just don't think those blowouts are that big of an issue. Feinstein acts like it sullies the sport that FAMU loses by 10 touchdowns, and has to dance around why it's bad but still sorta semi-ok (just annoying) for FAU to also lose by 10 TDs, and ULM by 9. If we're going to make blowouts against inferior teams an issue, then you ought to consider instituting relegation rules based on record and/or points in order to equalize competition, and while Feinstein might support that, he's not arguing for it here.

Saturday's game might be the only chance the FAMU players get to be on national TV during their collegiate careers, so I doubt they were upset about it. I realize that Ohio State doesn't owe it to any FCS schools to balance their athletic budgets, but it's not like anyone on either side was pressured into doing something they didn't want to.

that whole article was just dumb.

he points out it's ok for WVU to get drilled by Maryland because WVU is having a "down year". But FIU BEAT Louisville just 2 short years ago. Maybe they are just having a "down year" as well?

Ok....they suck. But you get the point. 03-lmfao
09-23-2013 12:59 PM
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-23-2013 12:59 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(09-23-2013 12:49 PM)QuinDuke Wrote:  

that whole article was just dumb.

he points out it's ok for WVU to get drilled by Maryland because WVU is having a "down year". But FIU BEAT Louisville just 2 short years ago. Maybe they are just having a "down year" as well?

Ok....they suck. But you get the point. 03-lmfao

I agree the article was dumb and came from the FBS-is-better-than-FCS-blah-blah-blah line of thinking.

I don't feel bad if a team schedules a game against an FBS team and gets blown out. No one forces you to oschedule that way.
09-23-2013 01:21 PM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2013 11:53 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Restricting it to FCS participants is a bad idea...too many weak auto qualifiers.

I wouldn't support any limitations, but if there was one put in place, it should be based on scholarships. In essence, an FBS team could only schedule a FCS program than sponsors a full 63 scholarship team.

Sounds a lot like the "Longhorn" in Feinsteins' comment section. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013 01:22 PM by olddawg.)
09-23-2013 01:22 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

That's not practical because often these games are scheduled years in advance. Feinstein is a dope when it comes to practicality in many instances. The guy needs to just keep hating on Tiger Woods and stick to that.
09-23-2013 01:28 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
nice job longhorn!

article was funny - he came up with what MIGHT actually be a good idea (earn your FBS games...) and then throttled it with some subjective exemptions! (villanova-temple) and added in a restriction on the FBS schools for adding one easier game....nah.
09-23-2013 01:47 PM
Advertisement

NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(09-23-2013 11:53 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

There is a rule like that in effect. I-A teams may count one game against I-AA teams per year towards bowl eligibility. In order for it to count, that I-AA school must also average 56.7 scholarships over the previous 2 seasons (90% of the I-AA limit). Anything less, and it basically counts as a loss - like us playing a D2 team. This is why I mentioned Syracuse in a thread last week - they scheduled Wagner even though Wagner is in the 40-scholarship NEC. Instead of confirming with the NCAA if the game would count, they asked Wagner, who upon looking at the paycheck, said, "ummmm...sure."
09-23-2013 02:40 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
I bet you guy's attitude toward FCS will change in the next 1-4 months. You'll be looking down at them and not wanting to play them.
09-23-2013 02:56 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(09-23-2013 02:56 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  I bet you guy's attitude toward FCS will change in the next 1-4 months. You'll be looking down at them and not wanting to play them.

Haven't you been on here the last 6 months??? "I can't believe we have CCSU scheduled!" "What do we have to play an awful team like StFU?"

We are so already there!
09-23-2013 04:32 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-23-2013 11:07 AM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  
(09-23-2013 10:02 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  

The difference between UCF/USF and FIU/FAU is night and day. Neither the talent nor the support have ever been there for FAU and FIU.

JMU hosting start-up UNCC, with less than 2 months notice and a monsoon going on for an entire football game.... draws a larger butts in seats crowd than FAU did with a beautiful sunny florida day. Did I mention our fans travel at least 2 hours? o yeah, we're fcs too.
09-23-2013 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.