Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

REVISED: Ranking the Best Programs Since 2000
Bookmark and Share
Common Sense Offline
Banned

I Root For: decency
REVISED: Ranking the Best Programs Since 2000
I have compiled a list analyzing all college basketball programs in the top 9 conference (ACC, American, Big East, B1G, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC, MWC, and A-10) since 2000.

Here is the methodology:
Conference Regular Season Title (3 points)- If tie all get the 5 points
Conference Tournament Title (2 points)
NCAA Tournament Bid (3 points)
Ends in Sweet 16 (5 points)
Ends in Elite 8 (8 points)
Ends in Final Four (13 points)
Ends in Title Game (20 points)
National Champion (27 points)

*If the conference won was not a top 9 league at the time, the school was awarded half the value. (I considered C-USA 00-04 with UC, UofL and Marquette to be in the top 9).*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Link --> Full List

Here is the top 25:

[Image: Top_25_Programs.png]

Big East:

[Image: Big_East.png]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Big East: Marquette and Georgetown figure to hang around where they are, huge upticks in the recruiting at Providence, St. Johns and Seton Hall should improve those three respectively.

Expansion candidates: Dayton (T-69), St. Louis (T-65) and VCU(39).
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 06:17 PM by Common Sense.)
09-22-2013 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Ranking the Best Programs Since 2000
I would have the conference tourney be worth as much if not more than the regular season title. Folks remember the conference tourney a lot more than the regular season...

also, I'm sorry but a final 4 trip is not equal to a regular season conference championship at all. Not even remotely close. folks hate to hear it, but March is how college basketball is judged now.
09-22-2013 05:25 PM
Common Sense Offline
Banned

Revised.
09-22-2013 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: VCU
Motion to add an additional point to VCU's Final 4 run (hey...we won an extra game). I agree with Stever though. As impressive as UNC Wilmington's 2006 CAA regular season title was...that George Mason run to the Final 4 might have topped it. You'll certainly hear about it more.

Nice to see my Rams so high on that list though!
09-22-2013 06:23 PM
gtmoBlue Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Creighton
RE: REVISED: Ranking the Best Programs Since 2000
Looks as though your methodology is both flawed and shows chronic bias in favor of "name schools" in C-USA and with Butler/VCU.

why not use the methodology used in the Top programs of the last 50 years (ESPN) ranking - less arbitrariness in the points allotment. no sense in trying to recreate the wheel.

The AAC has no record, no history, as it is a new conference. It is merely "projected" as a potential top 10 conf for the upcoming season.

UConn, L'ville, others were in the BE. Since you are discussing team records - use their old conference affiliations.

Butler was not in a top 9 conference when it made it's 2 FF runs. Last year was their sole season in a top 9 conference.
VCU is in the same boat - only 1 year in a top 9 conference.

The Missouri Valley has consistently been a top 9 or better conference.
CUSA has consistently been ranked 10 - 12th rated conference.

This listing is seriously flawed.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013 07:55 PM by gtmoBlue.)
09-22-2013 07:09 PM
Advertisement

Common Sense Offline
Banned

(09-22-2013 07:09 PM)gtmoBlue Wrote:  Looks as though your methodology is both flawed and shows chronic bias in favor of "name schools" in C-USA and with Butler/VCU.

why not use the methodology used in the Top programs of the last 50 years (ESPN) ranking - less arbitrariness in the points allotment. no sense in trying to recreate the wheel.

The AAC has no record, no history, as it is a new conference. It is merely "projected" as a potential top 10 conf for the upcoming season.

UConn, L'ville, others were in the BE. Since you are discussing team records - use their old conference affiliations.

Butler was not in a top 9 conference when it made it's 2 FF runs. Last year was their sole season in a top 9 conference.
VCU is in the same boat - only 1 year in a top 9 conference.

The Missouri Valley has consistently been a top 9 or better conference.
CUSA has consistently been ranked 10 - 12th rated conference.

This listing is seriously flawed.

Memphis, Butler, VCU, Creighton, and Utah State received 0.5 of the value for all their conference titles and tourney wins.

Also, you can disregard the conference names, it doesn't change the rankings.
09-22-2013 08:16 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
there is nothing to indicate the AAC will not be a top 10 conference. to act like they won't is comical.
09-22-2013 08:23 PM
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
I'm happy to report that the Friars should be at 6 points, not 4, for our two NCAA bids this century. I'm just gonna say that 5 points should be considered college basketball's Mendoza Line.
09-22-2013 09:32 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(09-22-2013 08:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there is nothing to indicate the AAC will not be a top 10 conference. to act like they won't is comical.

Is there any significance in being "a top ten conference"?

Just asking. 03-idea
09-22-2013 09:39 PM
Advertisement

itsmejpt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Seton Hall
This list shows that despite the amount of crap SHU gets for being awful (especially compared to SJU) it has been a solidly upper-mediocre program. Nothing to be proud of, but not a bottom feeder either.
09-22-2013 10:52 PM
Natty Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: VCU
(09-22-2013 01:46 PM)Common Sense Wrote:  *If the conference won was not a top 9 league at the time, the school was awarded half the value. (I considered C-USA 00-04 with UC, UofL and Marquette to be in the top 9).*

Did you look at conference RPI on a given year or just conference name? Also, sometimes there is a very narrow line between these conference's RPI, so for example using your methodology, Gonzaga winning the WCC last season (10th overall in conference RPI) was worth half the value of Creighton winning the Valley (9th) despite their conference RPI being a fraction of a percentage worse. Double the value seems like a major advantage for conferences 9 and up versus 10 and down. The Mountain West Conference had the highest RPI last season, followed by the Big 10, just one ranking a part, but was winning the Mountain West twice as impressive? If not, then I don't see how winning conference 9 versus conference 10 is so, or 10 v 11, 11 v 12, etc. Also with that, VCU's 2011 NCAA tournament bid out of the CAA is worth half the value of say for example USC's (the team they beat in the First 4 that season), despite both teams earning at-large bids out of their conference. So an at large out of the CAA is worth half as much as one out of the Pac 12.

Get back to work!
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013 01:31 AM by Natty.)
09-23-2013 01:27 AM
Burrito Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Hoyas
Looks like Common Sense was banned. No more getting back to work for him.
09-23-2013 08:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.