RE: Houston area TV ratings for Week 3
(09-16-2013 03:51 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Games drawing better than a 1.0

Bama-A&M CBS 17.3
UCLA-Neb ABC 3.2
ND-Purdue ABC 2.9
TCU-Tech ESPN 1.6
L'vill-Kenty ESPN 1.4
Ohio St-Cal FOX 1.0

Yea that TCU - Tech matchup sure raked in the eyeballs in Houston. I wonder how UT - Oklahoma State is going to do (better - but not much). I wonder how Houston - Tech would have done here. I'll bet they're would be more eyeballs on that one in Houston and DFW combined than TCU - Tech.
09-16-2013 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
TCU- Tech was also going against the NFL. The NFL just destroys ratings for every other thing on TV during their time slot. Thursday night college football is pretty much dead to the casual sports fan.
09-16-2013 04:03 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
I was a bit surprised how low the TCU-Tech rating was, given that it was the main college football attraction on a Thursday night.

Last year, the Top 15 Big 12 games not involving Texas averaged a 2.1 rating in the Houston area.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 04:10 PM by CougarRed.)
09-16-2013 04:04 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 04:03 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  TCU- Tech was also going against the NFL. The NFL just destroys ratings for every other thing on TV during their time slot. Thursday night college football is pretty much dead to the casual sports fan.

The Jets-Patriots on the NFL Network is not a good excuse. Tech-TCU was prime time on ESPN. Not ESPN2. I bet Tech-TCU did a lot better than 1.6 in DFW.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 04:11 PM by CougarRed.)
09-16-2013 04:07 PM
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2013 04:07 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 04:03 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  TCU- Tech was also going against the NFL. The NFL just destroys ratings for every other thing on TV during their time slot. Thursday night college football is pretty much dead to the casual sports fan.

The Jets-Patriots on the NFL Network is not a good excuse. Tech-TCU was prime time on ESPN. Not ESPN2.

Not sure if you are being serious or not? NFL Network was the most watched cable channel that night (actually most watched show on all of TV on Thursday) as it is every Thursday it has a game. Not saying that TCU-Tech did not do poorly in Houston, just that going against NFL games is no picnic. College football in general would be in a world of hurt if NFL games started being played on Saturday during the season. The casual sport fan is way way more interested in the NFL than they will ever be in college football.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 04:14 PM by MAcFroggy.)
09-16-2013 04:13 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The season isn't over yet. It's only now coming up on week 4, and conference play has barely started...
09-16-2013 04:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2013 04:14 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
The season isn't over yet. It's only now coming up on week 4, and conference play has barely started...

How does that relate to what I said. Of course the season just started, but so did the NFL season. And college games are never going to get great ratings going against the NFL. It is what it is.
09-16-2013 04:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

It shows that there will be plenty of Big XII games that aren't fighting the NFL for viewers. What else?
09-16-2013 04:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2013 04:22 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It shows that there will be plenty of Big XII games that aren't fighting the NFL for viewers. What else?

Got it. You just replied to my quote about NFL Thursday night games. So I was thinking you meant how does that relate to Thursday night game ratings. My bad.
09-16-2013 04:25 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tx Tech & UNT
(09-16-2013 03:51 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Games drawing better than a 1.0

Bama-A&M CBS 17.3
UCLA-Neb ABC 3.2
ND-Purdue ABC 2.9
TCU-Tech ESPN 1.6
L'vill-Kenty ESPN 1.4
Ohio St-Cal FOX 1.0

Where are you getting the ratings for Tech-TCU? The Houston Chronicle normally doesn't post Thursday night ratings( the exception being Thanksgiving games)?

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/...-saturday/

Quote:And here are the local numbers for programs to which have access for ratings:Friday – Angels-Astros, CSNH, 0.4; Air Force-Boise State, ESPN, 0.7.

Saturday – Angels-Astros, CSNH, 0.04; Alabama-Texas A&M, Ch. 11, 17.3; UCLA-Nebraska, Ch. 13, 3.2; Tennessee-Oregon, Ch. 13, 0.9; Notre Dame-Purdue, Ch. 13, 2.9; Ohio State-California, Ch. 26, 1.0; Louisville-Kentucky, ESPN, 1.4; Nevada-Florida State, ESPN, 0.2; Vanderbilt-South Carolina, ESPN, 0.6; Wisconsin-Arizona State, ESPN, 0.6; College GameDay, ESPN, 1.4; College Football Today, Ch. 11, 4.9; A’s-Rangers, Ch. 26, 0.1; Chelsea-Everton, Ch. 2, 0.4; BMW Championship, Ch. 2, 0.8.
09-16-2013 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(09-16-2013 04:13 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  

The Jets-Patriots on the NFL Network is not a good excuse. Tech-TCU was prime time on ESPN. Not ESPN2.

Not sure if you are being serious or not? NFL Network was the most watched cable channel that night (actually most watched show on all of TV on Thursday) as it is every Thursday it has a game. Not saying that TCU-Tech did not do poorly in Houston, just that going against NFL games is no picnic. College football in general would be in a world of hurt if NFL games started being played on Saturday during the season. The casual sport fan is way way more interested in the NFL than they will ever be in college football.

If you're talking about ratings in Houston only, the question is what was the Jets-Patriots rating in Houston, not the national rating -- it's very likely that a New York vs. New England game has a much lower rating in Houston than nationally. Local ratings vary widely from national ratings. The Ohio State-Cal national rating (2.4) was more than twice the local rating in Houston, while the Alabama-TAMU rating in Houston was almost twice that game's national rating (9.0).
09-16-2013 04:26 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2013 04:26 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  Where are you getting the ratings for Tech-TCU? The Houston Chronicle normally doesn't post Thursday night ratings( the exception being Thanksgiving games)?

David Barron is a friend of mine. I e-mailed him at 3:18 this afternoon. He responded 12 minutes later with the info.
09-16-2013 04:31 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

(09-16-2013 04:04 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  I was a bit surprised how low the TCU-Tech rating was, given that it was the main college football attraction on a Thursday night.

Last year, the Top 15 Big 12 games not involving Texas averaged a 2.1 rating in the Houston area.

No your not. With college going up against the NFL every Thursday night, I will take those ratings especially since both schools are 250-400 miles from Houston.

As the season goes on and more of our games are televised, the Big 12 will be fine. Just like people tuned in to see johnny autograph lose, more people will tune into see if Tech can keep the momentum and Texas possibly continuing to free fall.
09-16-2013 04:32 PM
jml2010 Offline
Banned

(09-16-2013 04:31 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 04:26 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  Where are you getting the ratings for Tech-TCU? The Houston Chronicle normally doesn't post Thursday night ratings( the exception being Thanksgiving games)?

David Barron is a friend of mine. I e-mailed him at 3:18 this afternoon. He responded 12 minutes later with the info.

Yeah OK. Sorry Bit, I call BS. If true, why won't he post that on his blog?
09-16-2013 04:34 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(09-16-2013 04:16 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  

How does that relate to what I said. Of course the season just started, but so did the NFL season. And college games are never going to get great ratings going against the NFL. It is what it is.

They do much better in non-NFL markets. I think the bigger issue with the Tech-TCU matchup is that TCU really has a higher hill to climb due to its status as a private school. Private schools, by their expensive and usually exclusionary nature generally have more difficulty reaching non-alumni as fans. And they generally have far fewer alumni than the publics anyway. TCU actually does a good job in Fort Worth (other do a much worse job - see SMU and Tulane - both of whom suffer for their lack of a community to tie themselves to). I don't hate TCU (although a lot of Mobilians remember bad behavior on the part of TCU in years past over the Go Daddy Bowl) but I think that unless TCU keeps punching way over their weight, that they're not going to be as valuable as Houston could be to the Big XII.

There are few private schools that really have a lot of non-alumni fans. Notre Dame and BYU are light years ahead of everyone else (but their situations are not replicable). Syracuse does a nice job in upstate NY (mainly due to zero competition). Everyone else largely struggles.

Seriously, who is a Baylor fan that didn't go there? And that's after some pretty nice seasons.
09-16-2013 04:35 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-16-2013 04:34 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 04:31 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
Yeah OK. Sorry Bit, I call BS. If true, why won't he post that on his blog?
Sorry for what - disagreeing with somebody? Like that never happens around here...
09-16-2013 04:43 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(09-16-2013 04:26 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 04:13 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  

If you're talking about ratings in Houston only, the question is what was the Jets-Patriots rating in Houston, not the national rating -- it's very likely that a New York vs. New England game has a much lower rating in Houston than nationally. Local ratings vary widely from national ratings. The Ohio State-Cal national rating (2.4) was more than twice the local rating in Houston, while the Alabama-TAMU rating in Houston was almost twice that game's national rating (9.0).

I think the poster might have been trying to backhandedly make the case that UH (where I didn't go to school btw) was at least as deserving as TCU for Big XII inclusion. And to show that the Big XII really has lost the Houston market (which is Texas' biggest market - and the fastest growing big city in the country) to the SEC.

Houston has always favored A&M over Texas (College Station is less than an hour from Houston's northern suburbs), but its gotten ridiculous how far the Big XII has fallen here. I get that Tech-TCU isn't going to outdraw A&M vs Alabama, but still I don't see much support for the Big XII here. It also hurts that Tech doesn't really draw from Houston (at least EIGHT SEC programs are closer). Baylor and TCU are private. UT has their fans and they support their team (good for them) but its not carrying the area.

The Big XII made a mistake IMHO by not taking Houston (which was reportedly blocked by UT) and ceded a the largest city in the state to another conference. The Big XII already had no real competition in the DFW metroplex from a big conference (and they have a team closeby as well - Baylor) and just doubled down there. They really didn't gain much as far as markets from TCU. Unless TCU continues to play above their weight, it might not be more than a space add for the Big XII.
09-16-2013 04:45 PM
MAcFroggy Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2013 04:35 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 04:16 PM)MAcFroggy Wrote:  

They do much better in non-NFL markets. I think the bigger issue with the Tech-TCU matchup is that TCU really has a higher hill to climb due to its status as a private school. Private schools, by their expensive and usually exclusionary nature generally have more difficulty reaching non-alumni as fans. And they generally have far fewer alumni than the publics anyway. TCU actually does a good job in Fort Worth (other do a much worse job - see SMU and Tulane - both of whom suffer for their lack of a community to tie themselves to). I don't hate TCU (although a lot of Mobilians remember bad behavior on the part of TCU in years past over the Go Daddy Bowl) but I think that unless TCU keeps punching way over their weight, that they're not going to be as valuable as Houston could be to the Big XII.

There are few private schools that really have a lot of non-alumni fans. Notre Dame and BYU are light years ahead of everyone else (but their situations are not replicable). Syracuse does a nice job in upstate NY (mainly due to zero competition). Everyone else largely struggles.

Seriously, who is a Baylor fan that didn't go there? And that's after some pretty nice seasons.

Yeah Notre Dame is the true exception but they have a history unmatched by anybody. Families pass down Notre Dame fanhood to their children even if nobody in the family has gone there. USC and BYU, although private schools, are both over 30K students. That is larger than many state schools.

TCU has done a pretty good job of getting the help from the Fort Worth community. The skyline lights up purple during TCU football weekends. The entire city has "wear purple" Fridays where a large number of businesses give discounts for people that where purple on Fridays. It has been pretty neat to see Fort Worth embrace TCU so much over the past 5-10 years.
09-16-2013 04:47 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

One thing that will help is the Thursday games thin out after week 3 or so. After that you start seeing the obligitory games since every team has to get aat least 1 prime time game. So they Jackonsville;s, the Miami's, and Buffalo's of the world will start showing up on Thursday and it will open it up for college.
09-16-2013 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.