Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My take on CUSA after Week 3
Bookmark and Share
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Exclamation My take on CUSA after Week 3
EAST
1) ECU - Valiant effort saturday. Could have won.
2) Marshall - I am beyond emabarrased.
3) MTSU - Gotta do better than that against Memphis
4) UAB - BYE
5) FAU - Solid win over AAC. They suck but great win for you guys.
6) USM - Closer than I thought but your offense is still lacking.
7) FIU - Losing to Cookman? Really?!? That is beyond terrible.

West
1) Rice - Nice OOC win for you guys and CUSA
2) Tulsa - Ouch.
3) North Texas - Too close for comfort but you got the W.
4) Tulane - Wow
5) LaTech - You made Tulane look good.
6) UTSA - Schedule winnable games. Bounty games kill young programs.
7) UTEP - Got the W. That's all that matters.

New comers.
1)ODU - Nice blowout against a bad team.
2) WKU - S.Alabama? Really?!?
3) UNCC - Tough first loss guys.

CUSA went 6-7 this week. Third striaght losing week. Something has to give for us. Sure we got some nice wins with Rice over Kansas and FAU over USF(nice for them and bragging over AAC) but way too many embarrassing losses.

First and foremost our loss was the worst loss of the week. We were supposed to be contenders and have an outside shot at the BCS and then we go and get embarrassed by freaking OHIO. A team that sells their season tickets for as low as $4.50 per game, where their fans leave after their band plays, has one of the worst stadiums I have visited. Just not a good look and frankly exposed us once again. No more bragging from this guy. I apologize for my team embarrassing this conference. We could win a BCS game and I won't forget this loss. 2013 is tainted. Then there is the LaTech loss to Tulane04-jawdrop, WKU losing to S.Alabama03-puke, and FIU losing to Bethune-Cookman 01-rivals .

We are not doing ourselves any favors. The OOC record for us is going to be really bad once all is said and done. We need to get our crap together or the future is going to be bad for this conference.
09-16-2013 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
RE: My take on CUSA after Week 3
I think you're not giving Ohio (and Ball State) their due. Ohio is a solid team so there's no reason to be embarrassed by losing to them. I watched a bit of your game and it was a close game.
09-16-2013 11:30 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
There are 3 or 4 solid teams, no great teams, and several bad teams.
09-16-2013 11:30 AM
correcamino Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA
South Alabama is no pushover. We had a great two game series with them, they along with Texas State will be top teams in the Belt very soon.

UTSA is better and barring major injuries will finish with a better conference record than both La Tech and Tulane. Calling it now.
09-16-2013 11:32 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(09-16-2013 11:27 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  EAST
4) UAB - BYE

West
2) Tulsa - Ouch.
4) Tulane - Wow

New comers.

CUSA went 6-7 this week. Third striaght losing week. Something has to give for us. Sure we got some nice wins with Rice over Kansas and FAU over USF(nice for them and bragging over AAC) but way too many embarrassing losses.

First and foremost our loss was the worst loss of the week. We were supposed to be contenders and have an outside shot at the BCS and then we go and get embarrassed by freaking OHIO. A team that sells their season tickets for as low as $4.50 per game, where their fans leave after their band plays, has one of the worst stadiums I have visited. Just not a good look and frankly exposed us once again. No more bragging from this guy. I apologize for my team embarrassing this conference. We could win a BCS game and I won't forget this loss. 2013 is tainted. Then there is the LaTech loss to Tulane04-jawdrop, WKU losing to S.Alabama03-puke, and FIU losing to Bethune-Cookman 01-rivals .

We are not doing ourselves any favors. The OOC record for us is going to be really bad once all is said and done. We need to get our crap together or the future is going to be bad for this conference.

Perhaps we need a little slack on the Memphis game? While we didn't play great, it is a rivalry game after all, and I'm sure Memphis players are tired of losing to us. Plus Memphis has shown signs of life since late last season. And no one else who is currently in the league except Marshall and ECU has beaten Memphis as many times as we have over the past seven seasons.

Stockstill said they only got about 40 minutes of practice time on the field during the week (which is why we're in the process of funding an indoor practice facility that will hopefully be up by this time next year).
09-16-2013 11:41 AM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-16-2013 11:32 AM)correcamino Wrote:  South Alabama is no pushover. We had a great two game series with them, they along with Texas State will be top teams in the Belt very soon.

UTSA is better and barring major injuries will finish with a better conference record than both La Tech and Tulane. Calling it now.

I see 6, possible 7 more losses on you schedule.05-nono
09-16-2013 11:42 AM
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
It is really past time to stop looking down on MAC Football. That league plays some really good football and they take care of business against teams no one expect them to do well against.
09-16-2013 11:46 AM
correcamino Offline
1st String

(09-16-2013 11:42 AM)Green Menace Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 11:32 AM)correcamino Wrote:  South Alabama is no pushover. We had a great two game series with them, they along with Texas State will be top teams in the Belt very soon.

Wanna put $50 on it ?
09-16-2013 11:52 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
My take is I'm still in a really bad mood about ECU's loss, maybe an even worse mood than I was right after.
09-16-2013 11:52 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

If you watched our game you would know why I am apologizing. We spotted them 17 points. Especially with that fumbled on the kickoff. I have never seen a fumble like that. First off his shoulder, then his hands, then he loses it on the ground, and while looking for it spins around and kick the think 30 feet to the back of the endzone. If we would have played the way we are capable of playing we run OHIO out of their stadium. We played like crap. And Cato's last pick was one of the worst passes I have ever seen a QB in a Marshall uniform throw. Even if Evans doesn't fall down it is picked and going the other way.
09-16-2013 11:54 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(09-16-2013 11:52 AM)correcamino Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 11:42 AM)Green Menace Wrote:  

Wanna put $50 on it ?

I can see UTSA's season playing out as follows.

UTEP - Toss up
Houston - Loss
Marshall - Loss
Rice - Loss
UAB - Toss up
Tulsa - Loss
Tulane - Toss up
North Texas - Heavy lean toward North Texas
LaTech - Toss up
09-16-2013 11:56 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-16-2013 11:52 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  My take is I'm still in a really bad mood about ECU's loss, maybe an even worse mood than I was right after.

Trust me, that's better than being numb.
09-16-2013 11:57 AM
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

Agree completely with the East rankings. The West I'd rank a bit differently.

West
1-TIE) Rice
1-TIE) North Texas
3) UTSA
4) Tulsa
5) Tulane
6) UTEP
7) Louisiana Tech

After going through what Rice's schedule has been so far, I don't see them as the clear cut #1. Sam Houston State put essentially the same number of points on A&M as Rice did, however Rice did hold A&M a couple TD's closer. They did squeak out a win against Kansas, but it was at home and against a Jayhawks team that didn't exactly take it to the University of South Dakota (FCS and not a good one at that). The Halloween night game in Denton is looking more and more interesting each week.

Regarding UTSA, I don't think they're getting enough credit. They put up 35 points on an OSU defense that kept Mississippi State and Lamar to a field goal, and held New Mexico to half the points they put up on Pitt. It will take some time to see where the Arizona loss stands.

Tulsa and UTSA could very well be tied at this point, but that BGSU game was ugly and beating Colorado State is not an impressive win. This is a very bad Rams squad that couldn't even keep their game against the Buffs any closer than Central Arkansas did, and it was a rivalry game at Mile High.

Louisiana Tech has to get a W against an FBS team before they're not at the bottom of the pile. That Thursday night game was one of the uglier games I've seen in a long time for both teams.
09-16-2013 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
2) Marshall - I am beyond emabarrased. 2nd time Ohio's gotten off the hook
3) MTSU - Gotta do better than that against Memphis 03-lmfao I'm sure the Blue Raider Nation will take it, though!
4) UAB - BYE
5) FAU - Solid win over AAC. They suck but great win for you guys.A win over even a psuedo-cartel program is cause for celebration!
6) USM - Closer than I thought but your offense is still lacking.That 600-lb. Gorilla's putting on extra weight...Conference play is their only salvation now.
7) FIU - Losing to Cookman? Really?!? That is beyond terrible. 04-jawdrop

West
1) Rice - Nice OOC win for you guys and CUSA Owls Own Jayhawks for 2nd year in a row!!!
2) Tulsa - Ouch. 03-puke
3) North Texas - Too close for comfort but you got the W. Mean Green 03-nutkick when they had to!
4) Tulane - Wow
5) LaTech - You made Tulane look good. Skip has to get his "mojo" back!
6) UTSA - Schedule winnable games. Bounty games kill young programs. "Beep-Beep!!!"
I'll 04-cheers to that! Conference USA needs all it can get!

New comers.
Got the W. That's all that matters!...Sound familiar? 03-lmfao
Jags have the full support of its' fan base and trustees to put a competitive program on the field. Take them for granted at your peril. Ask Tulane...
Was bound to happen with a fledgling program...They've already built up their confidence, and their fan base is growing in leaps and bounds...

Agreed! 3 straight weekends below .500 overall is mediocre at best. Hard to get anyone to take your conference serious with that kind of consistent inconsistency, especially from its' "flagship" programs! Wake Up, Tulsa!!!!

The MAC is more formidable than given credit, ask Michigan...They are emerging team by team, and they seem to always bring their A-Games for Conference USA opponents, and have had C-USA's number this season, at least.
#StopTheSuckage!!!
09-16-2013 11:59 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-16-2013 11:57 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 11:52 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  My take is I'm still in a really bad mood about ECU's loss, maybe an even worse mood than I was right after.

Trust me, that's better than being numb.

or apathy
09-16-2013 12:00 PM
BlazerUnit Offline
Yeah, I Just Did That

I Root For: Key & Peele
(09-16-2013 11:46 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  It is really past time to stop looking down on MAC Football. That league plays some really good football and they take care of business against teams no one expect them to do well against.

I think Temple is going to regret leaving. That's not a knock against the AAC so much as it is my imagination of Temple being good enough to win or even dominate the MAC.
09-16-2013 12:02 PM
Advertisement

BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(09-16-2013 11:59 AM)Gakusei Wrote:  Agree completely with the East rankings. The West I'd rank a bit differently.

West
1-TIE) Rice
1-TIE) North Texas
3) UTSA
4) Tulsa
5) Tulane
6) UTEP
7) Louisiana Tech

After going through what Rice's schedule has been so far, I don't see them as the clear cut #1. Sam Houston State put essentially the same number of points on A&M as Rice did, however Rice did hold A&M a couple TD's closer. They did squeak out a win against Kansas, but it was at home and against a Jayhawks team that didn't exactly take it to the University of South Dakota (FCS and not a good one at that). The Halloween night game in Denton is looking more and more interesting each week.

Regarding UTSA, I don't think they're getting enough credit. They put up 35 points on an OSU defense that kept Mississippi State and Lamar to a field goal, and held New Mexico to half the points they put up on Pitt. It will take some time to see where the Arizona loss stands.
Tulsa and UTSA could very well be tied at this point, but that BGSU game was ugly and beating Colorado State is not an impressive win. This is a very bad Rams squad that couldn't even keep their game against the Buffs any closer than Central Arkansas did, and it was a rivalry game at Mile High.

Louisiana Tech has to get a W against an FBS team before they're not at the bottom of the pile. That Thursday night game was one of the uglier games I've seen in a long time for both teams.

Against OkSt most of their points were late in the second half when the bottom of the roster was in they had considerably let up. Those were not the same players that held Mississippi State down, Lamar sucks badly, and New Mexico sucks.

The only thing I can take away from these games it that UTSA fights until the end.
09-16-2013 12:03 PM
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

(09-16-2013 12:03 PM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  Against OkSt most of their points were late in the second half when the bottom of the roster was in they had considerably let up. Those were not the same players that held Mississippi State down, Lamar sucks badly, and New Mexico sucks.

Oh, I know, I watched. My point is more that OSU's backups are about equivalent to most of CUSA's starters. If UTSA can score on them, there's no reason to think they can't put up some pretty good points in conference play.
09-16-2013 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(09-16-2013 11:41 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
4) UAB - BYE

West
2) Tulsa - Ouch.
4) Tulane - Wow

New comers.

Perhaps we need a little slack on the Memphis game? While we didn't play great, it is a rivalry game after all, and I'm sure Memphis players are tired of losing to us. Plus Memphis has shown signs of life since late last season. And no one else who is currently in the league except Marshall and ECU has beaten Memphis as many times as we have over the past seven seasons.

Stockstill said they only got about 40 minutes of practice time on the field during the week (which is why we're in the process of funding an indoor practice facility that will hopefully be up by this time next year).

Didn't Marshall struggle with Memphis in Huntington late last year ?
09-16-2013 12:09 PM
correcamino Offline
1st String

(09-16-2013 11:56 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  I can see UTSA's season playing out as follows.

UTEP - Toss up
Houston - Loss
Marshall - Loss
Rice - Loss
UAB - Toss up
Tulsa - Loss
Tulane - Toss up
North Texas - Heavy lean toward North Texas
LaTech - Toss up

UNT is strong and I liked their team since before the season started. Havent really caught much other than small bits here or there but how has Thompson been this season? UTSA has one of the best run defenses in the conference and for that reason I like our chances against teams that struggle to air it out. Not chalking them up as Ws or anything like that but Id give UTSA the edge against poor passing teams.
09-16-2013 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.