Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Busywork to stop drinking?
Bookmark and Share
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
Busywork to stop drinking?
http://www.breezejmu.org/opinion/columns...f6878.html

I don't believe this would have worked to well on my crowd. Pretty sure it would have just meant more all nighters and crappier work.
09-12-2013 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
RE: Busywork to stop drinking?
Saw this. Terrible idea. You're just gonna end up with crap work product. The ones who really have a problem are just going to end up in more academic trouble and you just end up annoying everyone else.
09-12-2013 01:00 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(09-12-2013 12:50 PM)mistrhanky Wrote:  http://www.breezejmu.org/opinion/columns...f6878.html

I don't believe this would have worked to well on my crowd. Pretty sure it would have just meant more all nighters and crappier work.

Hahaha I had Ron Carrier's son Michael as one of my gen ed teachers (GBUS 160) and he intentionally didn't assign us homework on St. Patty's Day weekend. He also constantly made jokes about partying and students drinking.
09-12-2013 01:00 PM
Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: James Madison
Heck, I did most of homework half lit.
09-12-2013 01:17 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
I like to have a good time as much as anybody but I don't want JMU to become known as the place the gets lit starting 3:00 Thursday.

I say provide rigorous course work Monday - Friday. Those that can get the marks and party all the time, great, have at it. Those that can't get the marks and party all the time you've got two choices; 1) party less or
2) transfer to Radford.

Word to those of you in school - get your marks first, you may want to get a graduate degree from a top 10 school and a solid GPA from JMU will serve you well or in a language you can hear; you will be able to get a skank anytime, you can't un- fuckup your transcript in 5 years.
09-12-2013 02:00 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(09-12-2013 01:17 PM)Smokey 1 Wrote:  Heck, I did most of homework half lit.

We studied Oceanography tests playing trivia style quiz game we made up and a keg. If you got the answer right, everyone else drank. you get it wrong, you drink and others have to answer.
If no one answers correctly--Social!

Something like that. We all got A's. Like 98's. I highly recommend this method, to my own kids even...04-cheers
09-12-2013 02:07 PM
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

(09-12-2013 02:00 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  I like to have a good time as much as anybody but I don't want JMU to become known as the place the gets lit starting 3:00 Thursday.

I say provide rigorous course work Monday - Friday. Those that can get the marks and party all the time, great, have at it. Those that can't get the marks and party all the time you've got two choices; 1) party less or
2) transfer to Radford.

Word to those of you in school - get your marks first, you may want to get a graduate degree from a top 10 school and a solid GPA from JMU will serve you well or in a language you can hear; you will be able to get a skank anytime, you can't un- fuckup your transcript in 5 years.

When I went partying was a 6-7 night a week proposition and I still had good grades in a tough program.
09-12-2013 03:00 PM
Bill Online
1st String

more assignments = more stress = more drinking.
09-12-2013 03:08 PM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2013 02:00 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  I like to have a good time as much as anybody but I don't want JMU to become known as the place the gets lit starting 3:00 Thursday.

2) transfer to Radford.

Fair points, but the policy they are talking about here is not assigning reasonable course work -- it is about assigning extra heavy volumes of work on known party event weekends for the purpose of curbing drinking. Shouldn't coursework be assigned strictly within the realm of teaching the course?
09-12-2013 03:17 PM
GeoJMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, CMU

2) transfer to Radford.

How about talking to my son - he won't listen to me!!
09-12-2013 05:45 PM
Madisonian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes!
When I read the thread title I thought Hank was reaching out for help with battling the booze demon. #Relieved.
09-12-2013 05:48 PM
Advertisement

atljmualum Offline
All American

This is ridiculous. Kids are going to party and drink regardless. The thing that irks me the most is that we've got the athletic department pushing for students to come to home FB games and stay for the entire game and then you have these jokers suggesting they should give out more homework during weekends where we have home football games. Brilliant strategy.
09-12-2013 06:11 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(09-12-2013 03:08 PM)Bill Wrote:  more assignments = more stress = more drinking.

Yep.
09-13-2013 12:37 AM
Pitz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes.
(09-12-2013 06:11 PM)atljmualum Wrote:  This is ridiculous. Kids are going to party and drink regardless. The thing that irks me the most is that we've got the athletic department pushing for students to come to home FB games and stay for the entire game and then you have these jokers suggesting they should give out more homework during weekends where we have home football games. Brilliant strategy.

This.

Someone needs to give the person who came up with this some busywork so they can stop wasting their time devising childish homework schemes.

I felt like I was reading the proposal of a high school superintendent.
09-13-2013 08:37 AM
mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2013 05:48 PM)Madisonian Wrote:  When I read the thread title I thought Hank was reaching out for help with battling the booze demon. #Relieved.

I would never battle my best friend!
09-13-2013 01:47 PM
Madisonian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes!
That's the spirit!
09-13-2013 02:32 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2013 02:07 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

We studied Oceanography tests playing trivia style quiz game we made up and a keg. If you got the answer right, everyone else drank. you get it wrong, you drink and others have to answer.

Something like that. We all got A's. Like 98's. I highly recommend this method, to my own kids even...04-cheers

I took Oceanography in the mid 80s. Don't remember the teachers' name but he was a good lecturer and quite funny- kept the students interested. He once drew a picture on the board of a fish smoking a joint.
09-13-2013 03:09 PM
Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: James Madison
(09-13-2013 03:09 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

I took Oceanography in the mid 80s. Don't remember the teachers' name but he was a good lecturer and quite funny- kept the students interested. He once drew a picture on the board of a fish smoking a joint.

Dr. Ulanski?
09-13-2013 03:25 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-13-2013 03:25 PM)Smokey 1 Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 03:09 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

Dr. Ulanski?

That's it...Stan Ulanski.
09-13-2013 03:26 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
(09-12-2013 03:17 PM)mistrhanky Wrote:  

2) transfer to Radford.

Fair points, but the policy they are talking about here is not assigning reasonable course work -- it is about assigning extra heavy volumes of work on known party event weekends for the purpose of curbing drinking. Shouldn't coursework be assigned strictly within the realm of teaching the course?

No no no...it's for the purpose of "enhancing the student-teacher relationship". Funny. I read an article not too long ago that said Universities with a really well functioning "on campus life" reported lower instances of binge drinking related problems. That is to say, Universities where many different on Campus events were held specifically on weekends where students had other options than to drink themselves silly.

Granted, this is for specific weekends catered to drinking, and JMU has some pretty cool on-campus stuff. But when I was there, the number of parties where people got absolutely trashed every weekend greatly outnumbered the number of on campus activities your normal student would actually attend. Maybe that's changed. But part of that is just JMU's culture...and the fact that there is soooo much off campus housing...
09-13-2013 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.