[OT] Fire Mack Brown
09-11-2013 11:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: [OT] Fire Mack Brown
How about our old friend as his replacement?

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/danbic...17099710=1
09-12-2013 12:05 AM
Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
I'm hearing they go after Gruden
09-12-2013 12:16 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-12-2013 12:16 AM)Converted Rice Wrote:  I'm hearing they go after Gruden

I've heard from many that Gruden wants the job.
09-12-2013 12:32 AM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
(09-12-2013 12:05 AM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  How about our old friend as his replacement?

It would be his "dream job".
09-12-2013 01:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
75src Offline
All American

They already have someone better on staff-Major Applewhite who could sell UT football since he played there. Major is what made the offense work for TG in 2006.

(09-12-2013 12:05 AM)RiceFootball2K5 Wrote:  How about our old friend as his replacement?

09-12-2013 01:36 AM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-12-2013 01:36 AM)75src Wrote:  They already have someone better on staff-Major Applewhite who could sell UT football since he played there. Major is what made the offense work for TG in 2006.

I think his affair with the student trainer would make him a hard sell if DeLoss is looking to clean house. IMHO he would be a good choice (and his loyalty to UT) but I just don't see it this time around.

My guess would be they take a run at Gary Patterson. I'm sure CDC could find enough cash to match any UT offer but the chance to "restore" UT to a position of prominence over A&M might be hard to turn down. Plus recruiting at UT is basically "I'll take you, you over there, and you"....of course you do have to talk to the potential recruits (see Mack and FSU's Winston).
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 08:18 AM by Tiki Owl.)
09-12-2013 07:51 AM
KingNayte Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Hooty Hoot!
New Orleans Bowl
I don't think I'd wish Todd Graham on UT. This might be the first practical application of "I wouldn't even wish ___ on my enemies" I've had.
09-12-2013 12:34 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
Problem for Toad is if he goes to UT his next "hop" would be "down" because I don't see him going to the NFL.
09-12-2013 12:39 PM
mbrindley Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Major's offense hasn't exactly been stellar in the first 2 games of the season. Sure, numbers are good, but performance has not been much when it comes to matching performance to talent. NMSU couldn't keep up after 2 quarters. BYU kept them under control throughout with a few exceptions (bend but don't break). I don't think Major would go straight to HC at Texas based on the past few years. Expectations are way to high.
09-12-2013 12:42 PM
Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
UT probably is in fact Toad's dream job, because his style wouldn't work in the NFL.

UT can pretty much hire whomever they want, and they aren't going to hire someone with as much baggage as Toad. Unless Toad gets ASU into a BCS bowl this year, he's not in the running anyway... I do think this will be Mack Brown's last year at the helm.
09-12-2013 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Bay Area Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If Mack Brown goes, Major Applewhite will be swept out as well. I think Major has made a mistake by sticking around as an assistant at UT too long. No way he gets the HC job at UT, and his stock has likely dropped since his OC stint at Rice.
09-12-2013 01:40 PM
Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
There's a rock engraver in Austin who's just waiting and hoping and praying . . .
09-12-2013 01:50 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(09-12-2013 12:42 PM)mbrindley Wrote:  Major's offense hasn't exactly been stellar in the first 2 games of the season. Sure, numbers are good, but performance has not been much when it comes to matching performance to talent. NMSU couldn't keep up after 2 quarters. BYU kept them under control throughout with a few exceptions (bend but don't break). I don't think Major would go straight to HC at Texas based on the past few years. Expectations are way to high.

Yeah, and his body of work outside of 2006 is pretty thin. Texas has and will spend big $$ to get an established elite coach.
09-12-2013 01:56 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(09-12-2013 01:40 PM)Bay Area Owl Wrote:  If Mack Brown goes, Major Applewhite will be swept out as well. I think Major has made a mistake by sticking around as an assistant at UT too long. No way he gets the HC job at UT, and his stock has likely dropped since his OC stint at Rice.

Agreed. New coach, new staff. I think Applewhite could get an OC job at a less high profile school for a bit and try to work his way up again, but I think Mack goes too soon for UT to be comfortable giving the reins to Major. I think it will eventually happen as long as Major doesn't prove completely inept though.
09-12-2013 02:10 PM
mrbig Online
Heisman

(09-12-2013 01:40 PM)Bay Area Owl Wrote:  If Mack Brown goes, Major Applewhite will be swept out as well. I think Major has made a mistake by sticking around as an assistant at UT too long. No way he gets the HC job at UT, and his stock has likely dropped since his OC stint at Rice.

Interesting point, and probably accurate (not that I know much about college football coaching stock). Seems like he could have been a HC at a less prominent program by now if he wanted, and that career trajectory would have been better than staying at roughly the same level at UT this many seasons, particularly with UT's mediocre results the past few years.
09-12-2013 02:12 PM
Advertisement

mbrindley Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(09-12-2013 02:12 PM)mrbig Wrote:  

Interesting point, and probably accurate (not that I know much about college football coaching stock). Seems like he could have been a HC at a less prominent program by now if he wanted, and that career trajectory would have been better than staying at roughly the same level at UT this many seasons, particularly with UT's mediocre results the past few years.

I would suggest that he might have been a HC at a smaller school in Texas, but it's not as likely outside of TX. He hit Rice at a time where we needed a huge transition and he skyrocketed in our eyes. His stints everywhere else have been mediocre at best. Syracuse, Bama, and Texas. I think he has the potential to be a great coach. He does not carry the same coaching value as a his peer last year, Bryan Harsin. Major needs to stay in one place for a few years to show some growth and stability. Texas was supposed to be that place, but it hasn't. I personally always thought he went back too soon.
09-12-2013 02:43 PM
Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
Not keeping his junk in his pants is going to hurt his career. He may have topped out.
09-12-2013 03:10 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(09-12-2013 07:51 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  I think his affair with the student trainer would make him a hard sell if DeLoss is looking to clean house.

I could be wrong, but I don't see DeLoss Dodds outlasting Mack Brown... at least not by much. They may go down as a package, like Bobby May and Ken Hatfield.

(09-12-2013 12:39 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  Problem for Toad is if he goes to UT his next "hop" would be "down" because I don't see him going to the NFL.

That's kind of the definition of fall from grace. ... um, wait, I forgot who we were talking about. Nevermind, carry on...
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 03:45 PM by I45owl.)
09-12-2013 03:45 PM
MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
(09-12-2013 01:36 AM)75src Wrote:  They already have someone better on staff-Major Applewhite who could sell UT football since he played there. Major is what made the offense work for TG in 2006.

With all due respect to Major's role in helping Rice get to a bowl, Gruden and Patterson have much stronger resumes.
09-12-2013 04:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.