Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Helmet Mics
Bookmark and Share
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Helmet Mics
Honest question...

What are the college rules about using helmets with the capacity to have the OC radio in the play directly to the QB, like they do in the pros?

If legal, it sure would eliminate the standing around looking at the sidelines.
09-08-2013 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
RE: Helmet Mics
(09-08-2013 08:34 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  Honest question...

What are the college rules about using helmets with the capacity to have the OC radio in the play directly to the QB, like they do in the pros?

If legal, it sure would eliminate the standing around looking at the sidelines.

NCAA rule book, under Mandatory and Illegal Equipment Enforcement:
ARTICLE 10. Players may not be equipped with any electronic, mechanical
or other signal devices for the purpose of communicating with any source

Exception:
A medically prescribed hearing aid of the sound-amplifier type for
hearing-impaired players).

Nice thought...but no.
09-08-2013 08:48 PM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

I still don't understand the complaining from yesterday about the offense lining up and then checking the sidelines to get the play. We never said we were going to play offense with our hair on fire like Oregon or now BYU, for example. We just said we were going to pick up the pace and play faster and be more wide open.

When we don't huddle like that it prevents the defense from substituting. It allows us to control the tempo and play at whatever speed we choose to play as well. We ran 98 play for crying out loud last night and passed for over 300 yards. The offense hasn't been a problem so far this year.
09-08-2013 09:36 PM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2013 09:36 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  I still don't understand the complaining from yesterday about the offense lining up and then checking the sidelines to get the play. We never said we were going to play offense with our hair on fire like Oregon or now BYU, for example. We just said we were going to pick up the pace and play faster and be more wide open.

When we don't huddle like that it prevents the defense from substituting. It allows us to control the tempo and play at whatever speed we choose to play as well. We ran 98 play for crying out loud last night and passed for over 300 yards. The offense hasn't been a problem so far this year.

I simply don't remember a play last night that was successful after they stopped and turned to the sidelines and delayed the snap for 10 - 15 seconds. I'm sure it happened, but I don't remember it. On the other hand when they lined up and went with the original play, many, many times it went for a nice gain. I do think its necessary on occasion, but when they get to doing it every play, it seems to help the defense more than our offense.
09-08-2013 10:30 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(09-08-2013 10:30 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 09:36 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  I still don't understand the complaining from yesterday about the offense lining up and then checking the sidelines to get the play. We never said we were going to play offense with our hair on fire like Oregon or now BYU, for example. We just said we were going to pick up the pace and play faster and be more wide open.

I simply don't remember a play last night that was successful after they stopped and turned to the sidelines and delayed the snap for 10 - 15 seconds. I'm sure it happened, but I don't remember it. On the other hand when they lined up and went with the original play, many, many times it went for a nice gain. I do think its necessary on occasion, but when they get to doing it every play, it seems to help the defense more than our offense.

It did happen once. JMU converted a big third down after a long stare down but in general I agree with you. The team seems to be better when they call a play and go.

If they ever allow helmet mics it won't prevent the stare over to the sidelines as it will still take MM forever to pick a play. It will allow the QB, however to stare in what ever direction he chooses.
09-09-2013 08:38 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(09-08-2013 10:30 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

That's just how the play turned out . Looking at the sideline for a play has nothing to do with the outcome. They have to get a play from the sideline , they don't have helmet mics. Unless you want birdsong calling the plays after down and distance changes hahahah
09-09-2013 09:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.