Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defensive line depth
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Defensive line depth
I was watching highlights of our win against VA Tech in 2010 and was focusing on our D-line play. One of the things I noticed was that we rotated 8 guys during the game. Some obviously were in more than others, but Mickey felt comfortable enough to use that many even though the outcome was in doubt (Emmons got hurt during the game, but at various points we lined up Brown, Middleton, Bryant, Stanton, Snow, O'Neil and Harper.

After watching our game last week, we only used 6 D-lineman until emptying our bench in the 4th. During meaningful playing time, our only subs were Mosely and Jacques. I know Snow is still hobbled but it would be nice if someone else could step up. We did put in DE Christian Norton and DE Zack Ozycz late, but we were up by 31 points. When it's hot out, these guys are gonna get tired.
09-07-2013 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Re: Defensive line depth
The temp will be in the 70's so it will be about talent more than conditioning. I agree that the D-line is too thin and the weak spot of the defense.
09-07-2013 10:32 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

RE: Defensive line depth
Yeah, getting Snow back will hopefully make a big difference in getting QB pressure.
09-07-2013 11:23 AM
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-07-2013 11:23 AM)DooX Wrote:  Yeah, getting Snow back will hopefully make a big difference in getting QB pressure.

Is he playing? I thought I read earlier in the week that he'd likely be out but I haven't kept up throughout the week. It'd be nice to have a Moats type of player. I feel like this defense is one player short of being really good.
09-07-2013 11:31 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Last thing I heard or read about Snow was this tweet on Thursday from Stoss:
"Mickey, as of 30 seconds ago, says he's (Snow) still out. Snow still isn't in pads."

Like last week though, he is listed as the starter on our press notes 2 deep roster. Not sure why.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 11:39 AM by olddawg.)
09-07-2013 11:38 AM
Advertisement

DooX Offline
1st String

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Snow was playing today. I believe he is still out. I was trying to say that once he's healthy and back playing our rush will hopefully improve as well as improve depth.
09-07-2013 11:48 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-07-2013 11:48 AM)DooX Wrote:  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Snow was playing today. I believe he is still out. I was trying to say that once he's healthy and back playing our rush will hopefully improve as well as improve depth.

Snow isn't really much of a pass rusher for a DE. He does have good size for that position and is pretty stout against the run but just doesn't have quite the quickness to be a weapon as a pass rusher.
09-07-2013 01:02 PM
Advertisement

DooX Offline
1st String

I agree he's not a prototypical pass rushing DE, but I've heard Mickey say he's our best D Lineman (at both DT & DE). Just being on the field will hopefully improve the pressure overall.
09-07-2013 01:15 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-07-2013 01:15 PM)DooX Wrote:  I agree he's not a prototypical pass rushing DE, but I've heard Mickey say he's our best D Lineman (at both DT & DE). Just being on the field will hopefully improve the pressure overall.

Mickey says a lot of stuff but if he's going to look at me and tell me he's better than Stanton, he might as well tell me I don't have two eyeballs. Mickey says a lot of things in the media that he doesn't believe to get guys going. He wants those other guys to see a quote like that and I get it but we've also had the best player in the country since 1999. Hell, Justin Thorpe was the best QB in the nation according to Mickey.
09-07-2013 01:24 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I think he likes Snow because he's 100% all the time. Stanton has more natural ability but has a tendency to disappear and not make plays. I believe Stanton has gotten a few looks from scouts though.
09-07-2013 01:27 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

Defensive line depth
(09-07-2013 01:02 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 11:48 AM)DooX Wrote:  Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Snow was playing today. I believe he is still out. I was trying to say that once he's healthy and back playing our rush will hopefully improve as well as improve depth.

Snow isn't really much of a pass rusher for a DE. He does have good size for that position and is pretty stout against the run but just doesn't have quite the quickness to be a weapon as a pass rusher.

Snow gets double teamed a ton. And he played with separated shoulder the whole year last year. Will be good to see him healthy (hopefully soon)
09-07-2013 03:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.