Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

October 4 BOV Meeting -- Carr Report to be discussed
Bookmark and Share
rufus Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
This post from Longhorn was sort of buried in a thread primarily focused on defining the last day of summer, but I think the post warrants its own thread...

(09-05-2013 10:39 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  To bring this thread somewhat back on topic, it was shared at the Faculty Senate today that the BOV will definitely be discussing the Carr Report at its Friday, Oct. 4 meeting, along with another report dealing with the strategic direction for JMU. In response, the Faculty Senate (whose next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 3) is contemplating calling a special meeting two weeks later on Thursday, Oct. 17, to discuss and respond to whatever action the BOV takes on the Carr Report. The two week delay will give the Senate members time to review the Carr Report and BOV actions, and to invite President Alger to address the Senate about the direction of the university.

I think it is safe to assume that the report will be made public shortly before or after the BOV meeting, because it is difficult to claim a "president's working papers" FIOA exemption on a report that is being presented to the board. While the report will be interesting, it will be equally interesting to see what the BOV does with the recommendations. Hopefully there will be some sort of public announcement, but I'm not counting on it, given the relatively cryptic nature of BOV meeting minutes. I doubt the public will receive anything beyond "voted on athletic conference affiliation matters".

I am still hopeful that the administration will make some sort of public announcement at some point next spring. I feel like putting off the decision and an announcement until the 2014-2015 NCAA year puts us at risk of being left behind. Then again, if the decision is to remain in the CAA, I suppose there is no urgency in announcing anything. It will be interesting to see what happens around October 4.
09-07-2013 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUETC Offline
1st String

RE: October 4 BOV Meeting -- Carr Report to be discussed
Agree here. Great to know there is some definitive date for something after all the timeframe speculation.
09-07-2013 08:41 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
The BOV has already been briefed on the Carr report.
09-07-2013 09:38 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

I thought BOV meetings are (mostly) open to the public. I know they have some closed door sessions, but if it has actually been put on their agenda then I would presume it wouldn't be part of those sessions.
09-07-2013 09:43 AM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

(09-07-2013 09:38 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  The BOV has already been briefed on the Carr report.

and when did that happen?
09-07-2013 10:02 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-07-2013 10:02 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 09:38 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  The BOV has already been briefed on the Carr report.

and when did that happen?

I forget but the draft report was presented to them. They basically know what's in it.
09-07-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Sooooo.....is this gonna be another one of those arbitrary dates where many posters think something is going to happen when all evidence supports that it will likely just be another day?

If JMU decides to move up to FBS, I imagine the admin will likely wait long enough for the Dukes to at least be eligible for our winter sports teams to compete for conference titles.
09-07-2013 12:17 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I don't think it ever really works like that. Regardless of what's in the report, it's not like the BOV members are going to walk out of a conference room and say "We're going FBS!". Even if we had a solid invite on the table it wouldn't work that way (and as far as I can tell that may or not be the case depending on what rumor you want to believe). Even if the recommendation is to move up, it's just a recommendation. Doesn't mean anything will move right away except some peoples' pants.
09-07-2013 12:25 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(09-07-2013 12:17 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Sooooo.....is this gonna be another one of those arbitrary dates where many posters think something is going to happen when all evidence supports that it will likely just be another day?

This will probably be the meeting in which they decide how to pay for the report. Once the BOV decides on a course of action, the Senate will get to make their input, and then someone will write out a Purchase Order. Once that is processed (1-2 months), Carr will then send us their findings...which will take a couple more months to digest...

05-stirthepot
09-07-2013 01:57 PM
rufus Offline
Special Teams

(09-07-2013 12:17 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  If JMU decides to move up to FBS, I imagine the admin will likely wait long enough for the Dukes to at least be eligible for our winter sports teams to compete for conference titles.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/14 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/15 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/16 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

And so on...

At some point, we just have to pull the f#cking trigger.
09-08-2013 09:02 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

(09-08-2013 09:02 AM)rufus Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:17 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  If JMU decides to move up to FBS, I imagine the admin will likely wait long enough for the Dukes to at least be eligible for our winter sports teams to compete for conference titles.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/14 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/15 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

But if we announce when basketball season ends, then we still impact our spring sports teams, plus it will almost be time for our CAA paycheck to come through. We need to wait until after 7/1/16 to announce anything. But then we can't announce, because we don't want our football team to be ineligible, so we really can't do anything until the end of football season. Even then, we will need to consider our basketball teams, and delay the announcement further.

And so on...

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing when I read that.
09-08-2013 09:14 AM
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
According to a former high-level employee of the university with whom I spoke during CCSU pre-game we are going C-USA. His exact words were this about moving up: "it's a day late and ten dollars short." Evidently Uncle Ron had bought into a vision in the early 90's that had us moving up over a ten year period to what eventually became a BCS conference. How much is speculation and known fact concerning our next move- I don't know. But it is frustrating to hear from someone in the know how the whole thing has been mishandled for a long time. One of the big issues now- not JB but King. I actually left the conversation feeling good about Bourne and the job he is and has been doing.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2013 01:57 PM by jmutoml757.)
09-08-2013 01:56 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I think from the time Uncle Ron left office the past admin was dead set against us moving up. He was focused on making the university more known in the academic world as well he should be. The opportunity to move may or may not have been presented during the Rose years but if it was I'm sure it was shot down very quickly. I know the football experience was surely down played for those years and I always said if he could have handed out 6in of duct tape for your mouth and made you sit on your hands they would have been happy. We still can't seem to get crowd participation without having the RCM staff tell us to sit down and stop stomping and be quiet because some one has complained about to much yelling. This is true because it has happened in my previous section. We asked ticketing to move us to a better(read that routie) section so we could cheer the team and make noise for the opposition to not hear. Real football fans live there with us now. I'm still on the fence for FBS I like the fact we can at least play for a chance at a national championship, and if moved up well it may be 12 games and its over. just my 2cents
09-08-2013 06:36 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

The time during which Carrier ran JMU to now....the landscape has changed so dramatically in so many ways that honestly, any vision he has or whatever is moot. Uncle Ron is not coming through that door.
09-08-2013 07:01 PM
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

(09-08-2013 09:02 AM)rufus Wrote:  

And so on...

Exactly. Pull off the bandaid and carry the eff on.
09-09-2013 05:36 AM
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

So what happens if we don't hear anything on October 5th?
09-09-2013 07:08 AM
Advertisement

rufus Offline
Special Teams

(09-09-2013 07:08 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  So what happens if we don't hear anything on October 5th?

[Image: h79978A62]
09-09-2013 07:12 AM
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-09-2013 07:12 AM)rufus Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 07:08 AM)4N6Duke09 Wrote:  So what happens if we don't hear anything on October 5th?

[Image: h79978A62]

So true, I might the mob if we don't hear anything. RABBLE RABBLE GO FBS RABBLE RABBLE.
09-09-2013 07:26 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Oct. 5 is a Saturday, so I doubt you're going to "hear" anything on that date.

BOV minutes will be posted online soon after the meeting, but the minutes are always well-washed and somewhat cryptic. In those minutes I expect to read that the BOV has accepted the report, and the report's finding/recommendations will be made public. The BOV minutes may even indicate the BOV's authorization to the President to follow-up on the report (if the Carr report says FBS is doable), as I seriously doubt a Presidential recommendation about the report's findings will accompany the initial submission of the report to the BOV.

The lack of an accompanying Presidential recommendation at the time the Carr report is formally accepted may strike some as a slight-of-hand trick...but a Presidential recommendation made simultaneously with the report's submission would not only be a cart-before-the-horse faux pas, it could ignite a firestorm of controversy on campus. The controversy being that the faculty were not properly consulted prior to the decision being made to jump to FBS football, and how this will impact JMU's academic mission.

So, bottom line, reading between the lines...if the Carr report says "stay FCS"...end of story. If it gives a green light to moving up, don't expect an immediate rubber stamping of that recommendation by either the BOV or the President. There is still some political fence building to do on campus.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 07:49 AM by Longhorn.)
09-09-2013 07:48 AM
4N6Duke09 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-09-2013 07:48 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Oct. 5 is a Saturday, so I doubt you're going to "hear" anything on that date.

BOV minutes will be posted online soon after the meeting, but the minutes are always well-washed and somewhat cryptic. In those minutes I expect to read that the BOV has accepted the report, and the report's finding/recommendations will be made public. The BOV minutes may even indicate the BOV's authorization to the President to follow-up on the report (if the Carr report says FBS is doable), as I seriously doubt a Presidential recommendation about the report's findings will accompany the initial submission of the report to the BOV.

The lack of an accompanying Presidential recommendation at the time the Carr report is formally accepted may strike some as a slight-of-hand trick...but a Presidential recommendation made simultaneously with the report's submission would not only be a cart-before-the-horse faux pas, it could ignite a firestorm of controversy on campus. The controversy being that the faculty were not properly consulted prior to the decision being made to jump to FBS football, and how this will impact JMU's academic mission.

So, bottom line, reading between the lines...if the Carr report says "stay FCS"...end of story. If it gives a green light to moving up, don't expect an immediate rubber stamping of that recommendation by either the BOV or the President. There is still some political fence building to do on campus.

I forgot to check the calendar, but thanks for the info on how this could all shake out. If the Carr report says "stay FCS" will we hear about that within a short time frame? So essentially, if we hear nothing then that's like a no news is good news situation?
09-09-2013 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.