Lookism comes under attack
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Lookism comes under attack
Anything for more gov't regulations

http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/08...story.html

Quote:The galloping injustice of “lookism” has not escaped psychologists, economists, sociologists, and legal scholars. Stanford law professor Deborah L. Rhode’s 2010 book, “The Beauty Bias,” lamented “the injustice of appearance in life and law,” while University of Texas, Austin economist Daniel Hamermesh’s 2011 “Beauty Pays,” recently out in paperback, traced the concrete benefits of attractiveness, including a $230,000 lifetime earnings advantage over the unattractive.

Still, the issue has generated few serious solutions. Though to a surprising degree, we agree on who is attractive and who isn’t, differences in looks remain largely unmentionable, unlike divisions of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation. There is no lobby for the homely. How do you change a discriminatory behavior that, even though unfair, is obviously deep, hard to pin down, and largely unconscious—and affects people who would be hurt even to admit they’re in the stigmatized category?

Tentatively, experts are beginning to float possible solutions. Some have proposed legal remedies including designating unattractive people as a protected class, creating affirmative action programs for the homely, or compensating disfigured but otherwise healthy people in personal- injury courts.

I'm looking to sue Matt Damon today! 04-rock

Quote:How to fix this problem depends on what kind of problem, exactly, you think it is. A number of scholars see it as fundamentally a civil-rights issue, with the unattractive a class of people who are provably and consistently discriminated against. It’s an idea that seems poised to resonate beyond the academy: A 2004 survey conducted by an economist and a legal scholar found more people reporting that they’d been discriminated against based on their looks than on their ethnicity.

The Constitution forbids employment discrimination on the basis of things like race, sex, and religion, but only a few jurisdictions have tried to add appearance to the list, starting with the parts of appearance you can measure.

Quote:There will be resistance, obviously, to changing the status quo to account for our bias toward beauty. A few industries have made an open case for hiring attractive employees. If customers or clients are attracted to beautiful people, they point out, then it’s perfectly rational to hire them, particularly for sales or front-office positions.

But that kind of pragmatism doesn’t hold water for many advocates. “To say that hiring salespeople who are attractive is good for business is the same argument whites made for hiring whites only during the early civil rights era,” Rhode pointed out. The law no longer allows airlines to cater to the preferences of male business travelers with all-female steward staff, for example, so why is looks-based discrimination acceptable just because customers may prefer it?
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:39 AM by DrTorch.)
09-06-2013 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Lookism comes under attack
This is actually too freakin' funny.

I've always wondered if being considered unqualified for a job could be labeled as a form of discrimination.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:41 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
09-06-2013 08:40 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Throwing the 'look' card?

National Association for the Advancement of Homely People?

"Nerd" the new n-word?

If someone says that Kate Upton is hotter than Roseanne Barr, is he a lookist?
09-06-2013 08:42 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Well, that was weird. Some people are attractve and some people are not attractive. Nothing new there. No need to legislate attractiveness.
09-06-2013 08:43 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
This reminded me of actual experiences I have had but the most representative was back in the 1980s, I ran a company that manufactured equipment used by banks for the filing of cashed checks. When you visited these back office operations, it was quite apparent that the least attractive women were in check filing while the good looking were working as tellers.
09-06-2013 08:44 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

And you'll notice that most women in sales tend to be attractive. A client is more likely to be schmoozed into opening up the corporate wallet when sitting across from a hottie.

Which is why I tend to see plenty of fine-looking women at airports - salespeople travel a lot (Though through the years, I found that I could never quite find myself sitting next to one on a plane. It's usually the 'big boned' dude spilling over into my seat).
09-06-2013 08:51 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 08:51 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  And you'll notice that most women in sales tend to be attractive. A client is more likely to be schmoozed into opening up the corporate wallet when sitting across from a hottie.

Which is why I tend to see plenty of fine-looking women at airports - salespeople travel a lot (Though through the years, I found that I could never quite find myself sitting next to one on a plane. It's usually the 'big boned' dude spilling over into my seat).

Yep, hot women all over the airport but never one in the seat next to me. lol
09-06-2013 08:52 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Damn that Seinfeld. 03-wink

[Image: 4617644_l2.jpg]
09-06-2013 08:53 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Hold on a second....don't they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Beauty is only skin deep? Ugly people actually do get married and don't die virgins. I think Moochelle is uglier than a bag of hammers and she got married. Whoopi Goldberg is just hard to look at. I wouldn't call Anthony Weiner good looking but he seems to be raking in the babes. Eric Holder is funny looking and he has a good job and a family. Is the author implying that unless I marry an ugly beast and hire mirror crackers I'm somehow shallow or discriminating?

Let the market decide, put all the ugly babes in whore houses and see how they do.
09-06-2013 09:15 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
You ever see an ugly Pharma sales rep?

I just want to say that I've worked at very professional companies where I am floored at the beauty of 8 out of 10 new hires. I cannot imagine that is just the luck of the draw. And even if you ain't good lookin' you're not fat, that's for sure.
09-06-2013 09:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(09-06-2013 09:15 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  Hold on a second....don't they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Beauty is only skin deep? Ugly people actually do get married and don't die virgins. I think Moochelle is uglier than a bag of hammers and she got married. Whoopi Goldberg is just hard to look at. I wouldn't call Anthony Weiner good looking but he seems to be raking in the babes. Eric Holder is funny looking and he has a good job and a family. Is the author implying that unless I marry an ugly beast and hire mirror crackers I'm somehow shallow or discriminating?

Let the market decide, put all the ugly babes in whore houses and see how they do.

Moochele looks like Arsenio Hall as a tranny.

[Image: arsenio-hall.jpg]
09-06-2013 09:24 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 09:15 AM)smn1256 Wrote:  Hold on a second....don't they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Beauty is only skin deep? Ugly people actually do get married and don't die virgins. I think Moochelle is uglier than a bag of hammers and she got married. Whoopi Goldberg is just hard to look at. I wouldn't call Anthony Weiner good looking but he seems to be raking in the babes. Eric Holder is funny looking and he has a good job and a family. Is the author implying that unless I marry an ugly beast and hire mirror crackers I'm somehow shallow or discriminating?

Well, we all know at some point other things replace looks when it comes to attractiveness. The primary thing being $$$$$.
09-06-2013 10:41 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Yea, round up all the good looking people. I will volunteer to incarcerate the females. All I do is give.
09-06-2013 01:17 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 01:17 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Yea, round up all the good looking people. I will volunteer to incarcerate the females. All I do is give.

If we ever get to the point where being ugly is considered a legal bonafide disability, well, that will be freakin' hilarious.
09-06-2013 01:19 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Can see welfare mothers looking for ugly fathers to father their kids now.
09-06-2013 01:21 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-06-2013 01:21 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Can see welfare mothers looking for ugly fathers to father their kids now.

That will just create more ugly offspring to perpetuate the cycle.
09-06-2013 01:22 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

Would give new meaning to:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
09-06-2013 01:32 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-06-2013 01:22 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 01:21 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Can see welfare mothers looking for ugly fathers to father their kids now.

Leftists hate evolution/natural selection.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 02:09 PM by DrTorch.)
09-06-2013 02:08 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(09-06-2013 02:08 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 01:22 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

Leftists hate evolution/natural selection.

Republican women are generally more attractive than Democrat women.

[Image: Megyn_Kelly_4.jpg]

[Image: rachel_maddow_a_p.jpg]
09-07-2013 09:53 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(09-06-2013 01:19 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 01:17 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Yea, round up all the good looking people. I will volunteer to incarcerate the females. All I do is give.

If we ever get to the point where being ugly is considered a legal bonafide disability, well, that will be freakin' hilarious.

As you can see, under any lookism laws I would not qualify as "disabled":

[Image: th?id=H.4949976696225825&pid=1.7...p;amp;rs=1]
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 10:51 AM by UConn-SMU.)
09-07-2013 10:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.