Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Payday for Akron game
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Payday for Akron game
per Stoss tweet- it's $300,000. Pretty good deal for playing a winnable game.

Stoss didn't mention this but it has been mentioned in other articles- some MAC schools use part of their huge Big 10 paydays to subsidize payment for guarantee FCS games. They have to pay BEYOND what their home games generate in order to get teams to play there w/o a return game.

Let's face it, they averaged 9300 per game last year. At their ticket prices that doesn't even cover their game guarantee for us. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul doesn't seem like a sound business model.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 12:44 PM by olddawg.)
09-02-2013 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Payday for Akron game
This game is not winnable. It's basically a must win. Villanova, Towson, W&M, Delaware, Richmond...they're all better than this team.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 12:40 PM by DoubleDDuke.)
09-02-2013 12:39 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Stoss tweeted this as well....pretty funny:
"An early, fun fact about Akron. It has as many wins over I-A teams since 2010 as JMU."
09-02-2013 12:51 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Re: Payday for Akron game
$300,000 is a good payday for playing a crappy 1-A team. Congrats to Bourne for signing the deal.
Not sure what Akron was thinking when they agreed to the deal.

Can anyone recap JMU's guarantee payouts over the last several years?
I'm thinking Duke was only $150, UNC $400, Maryland ?, Va Tech ?, WVU ?
09-02-2013 01:04 PM
5000DOLLARBILL Offline
Special Teams

More importantly, many reports talk about a difference in $2-3 M for going to FBS, but mac schools are title nine compliant with budgets much less than ours, whats up?
09-02-2013 01:29 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(09-02-2013 01:29 PM)5000DOLLARBILL Wrote:  More importantly, many reports talk about a difference in $2-3 M for going to FBS, but mac schools are title nine compliant with budgets much less than ours, whats up?

Just a guess, but it probably has to do with their travel budgets. I bet most MAC schools can bus all their teams to their in conference opponents and for that matter their out-of-conference opponents (MAC teams play the B1G frequently).
09-03-2013 08:54 AM
Advertisement

JMUSkinsfan Offline
2nd String

Jeeeeez ... did not realize how awful Akron has been. 1-11 the last 3 years?

I'm going to be bummed if we lose this game.
09-03-2013 11:48 AM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(09-02-2013 01:04 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  $300,000 is a good payday for playing a crappy 1-A team. Congrats to Bourne for signing the deal.
Not sure what Akron was thinking when they agreed to the deal.

Can anyone recap JMU's guarantee payouts over the last several years?
I'm thinking Duke was only $150, UNC $400, Maryland ?, Va Tech ?, WVU ?

If I remember correctly VT was either 400k or 450k. WVU was 400k plus $$$ for every ticket sold by JMU over a certain amount. Someone please confirm this or correct me if I am wrong.
09-03-2013 11:53 AM
All Dukes_All Day Online
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(09-02-2013 12:29 PM)olddawg Wrote:  per Stoss tweet- it's $300,000. Pretty good deal for playing a winnable game.

Stoss didn't mention this but it has been mentioned in other articles- some MAC schools use part of their huge Big 10 paydays to subsidize payment for guarantee FCS games. They have to pay BEYOND what their home games generate in order to get teams to play there w/o a return game.

Let's face it, they averaged 9300 per game last year. At their ticket prices that doesn't even cover their game guarantee for us. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul doesn't seem like a sound business model.

Hahaha so this will likely be the fourth worst attended game we play in all year. I imagine W&M, Towson and Delaware will all have more butts in seats.
09-03-2013 02:25 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2013 02:25 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 12:29 PM)olddawg Wrote:  per Stoss tweet- it's $300,000. Pretty good deal for playing a winnable game.

Hahaha so this will likely be the fourth worst attended game we play in all year. I imagine W&M, Towson and Delaware will all have more butts in seats.

seeing as how their fans seem to think all "I-AA's" are alike, it's worth nothing that last year in their FCS home game, they drew 9,933 for Morgan State.

I wouldn't expect much more than that this year with the way they view us. If it goes over 10k it will probably only be because of the amount of fans we bring.
09-03-2013 02:29 PM
HMK Offline
Special Teams

We use the same business model to pay CCSU and St. Francis from the 300,000 we get from Akron.
09-03-2013 09:26 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2013 09:26 PM)HMK Wrote:  

We use the same business model to pay CCSU and St. Francis from the 300,000 we get from Akron.

Doesn't seem the same to me. We can actually afford to pay those teams solely from money generated by the individual game and still turn a profit on said game. Akron can't- they don't generate enough from their games to break even ( after paying for a guarantee game) and have to use their payday money.
09-03-2013 09:48 PM
HMK Offline
Special Teams

(09-03-2013 09:48 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

Doesn't seem the same to me. We can actually afford to pay those teams solely from money generated by the individual game and still turn a profit on said game. Akron can't- they don't generate enough from their games to break even ( after paying for a guarantee game) and have to use their payday money.

How much do we make per game this year? Remember we have 7 games and the season ticket price is the same as it was for 6 games. We employ 700 people on game day.
09-03-2013 10:01 PM
5000DOLLARBILL Offline
Special Teams

(09-03-2013 10:01 PM)HMK Wrote:  

How much do we make per game this year? Remember we have 7 games and the season ticket price is the same as it was for 6 games. We employ 700 people on game day.

Wow 700. Is that fact or are you mind _____ me?
09-03-2013 10:39 PM
HMK Offline
Special Teams

"Wow 700. Is that fact or are you mind _____ me? "

Taylor Atkins told me.

A home playoff game can be a money loser, especially on Thanksgiving weekend. Having a larger stadium has more costs.
09-03-2013 11:04 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2013 10:01 PM)HMK Wrote:  

Well, that's a good question, what a home game makes us - one that I wished the DNR would have asked when we submitted our playoff bid in 2011. Back then, the school made it sound like our overhead was severe ( to the point where it completely negated our 10,000 new seats.) I didn't really buy it but haven't heard a peep about it since.

This year is a bit of an abberation w/ the additional ( and free 7th game). I'm sure any season in the future where we might have 7 home games, the season ticket price will be adjusted accordingly. So based on a usual 6 game home slate, I have in my head that 8000 tickets were allotted for students and roughly 8000 season tickets had been sold. Now there's many ways to pigeon hole the student ticket allotment by our bean counters. Let's just leave them out for the sake of discussion. If we do have 8k season tickets sold and we average, say 23k per game, that leaves 7000 partial season tickets/ walkups/ advance individual game sales /discounted & promo tix/ whatever.

Too time consuming for me to figure how many tickets are sold at what level. Some season tix are more $ than others. All the individual game tix are 27 bucks or more. If the tickets averaged out to 20 bucks per ticket, that's about $300,000 per game ( $20 x 15,000 people). Guarantees from us to smaller FCS programs are 50-100k. That still leaves us with a lot of money even after paying those 700 employees and still turn on the lights & water. If it doesn't, then we have made a grievous error in how we run our stadium operations. And I have to think some of those 700 are salaried university employees who happen to be scheduled for a Saturday rather than a Wednesday. In any case, the theory should be the more support staff needed, the more money we're generating. I also would like to think that if we had a game that we truly felt would draw less our usual attendance( like a playoff game), that we could scale down our gameday operations. It can be done.

And any of these admittedly rough calculations don't take into consideration money made from Stadium store items, concession food & drink , stadium advertising etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 01:34 AM by olddawg.)
09-04-2013 12:04 AM
Advertisement

HMK Offline
Special Teams

I do know that JMU was not going to buy the 7th home game for this year. Another unattractive home game would not draw sufficient revenue to pay the cost. Getting Charlotte for a home and home made the 7th game possible.
09-04-2013 08:08 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

employing 700 people on gameday is the cost of doing business.

how much money does the bookstore bring in on gameday's? that doesn't count as athletics revenue, but i'm sure the increase in sales on football saturday's going to the university is more than enough to offset the cost of 700 people for 4-5 hours.
09-04-2013 08:33 AM
All Dukes_All Day Online
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(09-04-2013 08:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  employing 700 people on gameday is the cost of doing business.

how much money does the bookstore bring in on gameday's? that doesn't count as athletics revenue, but i'm sure the increase in sales on football saturday's going to the university is more than enough to offset the cost of 700 people for 4-5 hours.

Don't forget about hotel and restaurant revenue either. Happy businesses owners lead to happy game day sponsors as well.
09-04-2013 08:37 AM
5000DOLLARBILL Offline
Special Teams

(09-03-2013 11:04 PM)HMK Wrote:  "Wow 700. Is that fact or are you mind _____ me? "

Taylor Atkins told me.

A home playoff game can be a money loser, especially on Thanksgiving weekend. Having a larger stadium has more costs.

I understand you got to run security, press box, club, parking, ticket office, stadium staff attendants etc... but man 700... I would love to see that breakdown. Don't the various JMU Clubs volunteer to run concessions for some small percentage of concession revenue that goes to the club? I also knew at one time, ROTC cadets were free labor acting as yellow jacket ticket checkers).....
09-04-2013 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.