UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$7.5 million The Parisian latest apartment project slated for downtown Birmingham
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
$7.5 million The Parisian latest apartment project slated for downtown Birmingham
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/201...t_business

The Parisian will have its own 163-space parking deck and apartment units ranging from 600 square feet to 1,400 square feet. There will even be some four-bedroom units designed for roommates to rent by the bedroom, Elgin said.

In addition to a fitness center, club room and technological amenities, The Parisian will have large corner balconies and a rooftop deck.

Elgin said the apartments will be larger than what many apartment developers are building today and it will be marketed primarily to UAB students, young professionals and empty-nesters.
09-01-2013 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

RE: $7.5 million The Parisian latest apartment project slated for downtown Birmingham
The rendering looks off-the-charts good on the Parisan's building. That LIV Parkside looks pretty crappy though.
09-01-2013 11:16 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: $7.5 million The Parisian latest apartment project slated for downtown Birmingham
I'm sure the same bunch will be on there telling us how bad it will be for the area and it will be a flop. I wish all of them would move to another state.
09-01-2013 11:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

They are a pathetic lot. The same people who said Region's Park will fail......nobody will go, etc. The same bunch that bash UAB, and the OCS plans.
09-01-2013 11:57 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

I totally missed out on buying a condo downtown back in 2009. Hate that because now when I do move up there, it's gonna cost more.
09-02-2013 12:10 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Some of those City Federal/Watts Tower condos ended up going pretty cheap. Now that the supply has dried up, you are probably right about the cost.
09-02-2013 12:13 AM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
All these damn condo developers are going to price living downtown out of the market. All of the poor people are going to move to Hoover ! COGS
09-02-2013 01:25 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Too many apartments, not enough grocery stores.
09-02-2013 02:00 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

When is the Walmart coming?
09-02-2013 09:23 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2013 02:00 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  Too many apartments, not enough grocery stores.

The first has to happen before the second ever will
09-02-2013 11:07 AM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2013 11:07 AM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 02:00 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  Too many apartments, not enough grocery stores.

The first has to happen before the second ever will

Condo scene isn't going to truly tip off until there's a grocery store nearby. Period.

One of the appeals of living downtown is being able to walk to work, etc, yet they still have to drive to get food.
09-02-2013 11:25 AM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

A lot of truth there. I live on 2nd Ave N, and we have to go to the Publix on Montclair (2-3 miles). There is a small market in the neighborhood (Mamantoes, which is good for a few things).
09-02-2013 12:17 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

There's also the Western near 5 Points. The point is that no one is going to build a grocery store when there's no customers.

It'll happen. People are moving downtown without it, and will eventually hit critical mass.
09-02-2013 12:28 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
(09-02-2013 12:28 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  There's also the Western near 5 Points. The point is that no one is going to build a grocery store when there's no customers.

It'll happen. People are moving downtown without it, and will eventually hit critical mass.

A number of grocery stores have I think expressed interest in downtown, but they are indeed waiting for critical mass to be reached. I actually think they are probably close to that level now. Wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up near the Parkside District by Railroad Park.
09-02-2013 12:41 PM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

Yep, we use that Western sometimes too. It's a pretty good store. You are right, the market will dictate it..........once enough people are living downtown, somebody will open one. It will probably take another 5 years or so though.
09-02-2013 12:43 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2013 12:43 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Yep, we use that Western sometimes too. It's a pretty good store. You are right, the market will dictate it..........once enough people are living downtown, somebody will open one. It will probably take another 5 years or so though.

It is also probable that the grocery store owners are waiting for some city or county sponsored tax break to actually get into an area.
09-02-2013 01:32 PM
Advertisement

mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2013 01:32 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 12:43 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Yep, we use that Western sometimes too. It's a pretty good store. You are right, the market will dictate it..........once enough people are living downtown, somebody will open one. It will probably take another 5 years or so though.

It is also probable that the grocery store owners are waiting for some city or county sponsored tax break to actually get into an area.

There are lots of tax breaks already. I suspect there will be some kind of market coming with one of these new apartment deals that have retail space baked in. Don't expect a name like Publix, though. It'll be locally owned and a small operation.

The problem is you kind of have two districts. To make it any different than driving to Montclair or Highlands, you would need one north of Morris Ave and one down by Railroad park.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 02:24 PM by mixduptransistor.)
09-02-2013 02:23 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2013 12:28 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  There's also the Western near 5 Points. The point is that no one is going to build a grocery store when there's no customers.

Western sucks. Too expensive for the quality they provide. I go to it a lot out of necessity, but I'd rather drive to the crappy Lakeshore Wal-Mart that has hamburger meat sitting in the shaving cream section.

Needs to be a Publix.

One of the main reasons I'm moving to Bluff Park instead of Downtown is because of this.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 03:00 PM by demiveeman.)
09-02-2013 02:58 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2013 02:58 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

Western sucks. Too expensive for the quality they provide. I go to it a lot out of necessity, but I'd rather drive to the crappy Lakeshore Wal-Mart that has hamburger meat sitting in the shaving cream section.

Needs to be a Publix.

One of the main reasons I'm moving to Bluff Park instead of Downtown is because of this.

If that's the case you probably weren't cut out for downtown living in the first place. I guarantee you something the caliber of Publix will never move downtown. At the very best it will be like the Western.
09-02-2013 06:54 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(09-02-2013 06:54 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 02:58 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

Needs to be a Publix.

If that's the case you probably weren't cut out for downtown living in the first place. I guarantee you something the caliber of Publix will never move downtown. At the very best it will be like the Western.

Sweet. I have taken your city-planning background and food industry business experience into account and determined that your guarantee holds much weight.
09-02-2013 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.