Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Owens = Sundance Kid
Bookmark and Share
KingBob Offline
Hard Core

I Root For: TD's wit a shot

Crappies
Owens = Sundance Kid
I equate the performance of TO to the movie of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

In the movie when Butch and Sundance decide to go straight... they were trying to get hired as security guards... and the guy tosses a stone out and asks the Kid if he can hit it... so, the Kid gets ready to draw... and the man says... no, no, no son... just shoot the stone... and the kid misses his mark... then, the kid says... can i move... the guys says... move? yeah, you can move... and the kid hits the stone like three times... and says... i am better when I move...

I don't fault TO in one bit... they have a pocket coach - coaching a non pocket QB to play where he doesn't move... let TO move... let him play to HIS (TO's) style... and everything else will come together!!!
09-01-2013 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KingBob Offline
Hard Core

I Root For: TD's wit a shot

Crappies
RE: Owens = Sundance Kid
(09-01-2013 04:22 PM)KingBob Wrote:  I equate the performance of TO to the movie of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...

In the movie when Butch and Sundance decide to go straight... they were trying to get hired as security guards... and the guy tosses a stone out and asks the Kid if he can hit it... so, the Kid gets ready to draw... and the man says... no, no, no son... just shoot the stone... and the kid misses his mark... then, the kid says... can i move... the guys says... move? yeah, you can move... and the kid hits the stone like three times... and says... i am better when I move...

I don't fault TO in one bit... they have a pocket coach - coaching a non pocket QB to play where he doesn't move... let TO move... let him play to HIS (TO's) style... and everything else will come together!!!

I don't watch the NFL much.. but, its the equivelant of trying to teach Michael Vick to play the same style of QB as Peyton Manning...

I also equate and hope they don't do to TO that they did to Jared Lorenzen... he TOO had three different coaches... Jaren was a GREAT college QB when he got his chance as a sophmore then the stupid moron new head coach got hired Jared's senior year and didn't play him like he should have been... i see exactly the same thing happening here...
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 04:38 PM by KingBob.)
09-01-2013 04:36 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
I would hope as a senior with three years experience he would have some say but maybe it's for the best as there doesn't really appear to be a back-up?
09-01-2013 06:11 PM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
TO has been fighting for 3 seasons to be the unchallenged #1 QB

The day arrived yesterday.

But frankly, I wish someone talented was barking at his heels eager to take his snaps.

OWENS is probably the guy who gives us the best chance to win right now.

But he is not of the caliber QB some of the other MAC teams have had of late.
09-01-2013 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nickthequick Offline
2nd String

Can we not start drinking the kool-aid over the first time we've faced a good SEC defense? We won't see athletes or a defensive line like that all year
09-01-2013 07:52 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
For three years the popular stance was for Owens to have sole possession of the QB spot. Now he has it and we're complaining about it. I have never been a fan of his sailing passes but I' m with Nick. After watching Lville destroy the (arguably) best the East had to offer, I'm feeling less badly about our loss. Tettleton was awful even when his line gave him time. Owens isn't Lynch but he'll be fine.
09-01-2013 08:17 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Guys, this(UF) was the team that beat Orange Bowl winner FSU(12-2) 37-26 and South Carolina(11-2)44-11 last season. Owens and the Rockets will be fine. Owens needed to stay in the pocket against the Gator defense. He can't be taking hits rolling out and expect to stay healthy all season long.
09-01-2013 11:32 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
owens has always been brilliant against mediocre defenses. he tends to play tighter against good defenses.

he should get himself on the edge rolling left more. he saw the speed of Florida's rush and rushed almost every throw. he needed to speed up his decisions, but TO tends to speed up his throws along w his decisions. he overthrew outside and deep routes and threw hard and behind the crossing routes.

the oline wasn't ready for florida in the first quarter. once they adjusted TO was getting into a groove when reedy had the tough penalty that killed our second quarter momentum.

run the ball up the middle where the strength of our offense is. that would help everyone out
09-02-2013 05:37 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Lots of good points on here, but he does need to stay healthy. That game didn't matter one lick in the MACC picture. That's the ultimate goal.
09-02-2013 08:40 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(09-02-2013 05:37 AM)pono Wrote:  run the ball up the middle where the strength of our offense is. that would help everyone out

Flu getting only nine carries was disappointing. Had the game been more of a blow-out early I could see us passing almost exclusively but he was getting yards and Mancz and Kerin are the best we've got. Needed to show more confidence in the running game.
09-02-2013 08:43 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-02-2013 08:43 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(09-02-2013 05:37 AM)pono Wrote:  run the ball up the middle where the strength of our offense is. that would help everyone out

Flu getting only nine carries was disappointing. Had the game been more of a blow-out early I could see us passing almost exclusively but he was getting yards and Mancz and Kerin are the best we've got. Needed to show more confidence in the running game.

The way I see it: Zo, Flu, Olack, and Rogers all dropped 2 or more short passes over the line. Lots were overthrown, but not all of them were. If that quick 5 yard pass game got going, our run game would have been effective. The first drive we dropped 2 or 3 right at our hands.

UF was ready to stop up the middle. I'm sure they knew FLU is a game changer. They shut down lots of teams that way, and Toledo didn't want to be another vanilla offense running up the gut for 0-3 yards per play. The reason Flu had success running is because Florida wasn't ready for it when he did. Which was basically once... 46 yards rushing on 9 carries, 28 being his long. Without that he averaged just over 2 yards per carry.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 08:53 AM by UofToledoFans.)
09-02-2013 08:52 AM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
(09-01-2013 11:32 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Guys, this(UF) was the team that beat Orange Bowl winner FSU(12-2) 37-26 and South Carolina(11-2)44-11 last season. Owens and the Rockets will be fine. Owens needed to stay in the pocket against the Gator defense. He can't be taking hits rolling out and expect to stay healthy all season long.

completely agree the opponent was of a very high caliber

Is it so wrong just to not be a fan of Owens' game?

Every QB has a bad game, but what I have seen from Owens are repeatedly the sames concerns.

Looking forward to the Missouri game to watch the team put on a better show.
09-02-2013 09:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blitz Offline
2nd String

My take is that Owens was underutilized. If you have a two-dimensional QB that you only utilize in the pocket, you significantly limit your chances of beating a more talented team.

If you have a QB that is a legitimate scramble threat, then the defense must adjust by assigning a secondary defender to prevent a breakout. If that QB shows no inclination towards scrambling, that secondary defender can be assigned to provide additional pass support. It seemed like every time the ball went to Reedy, he was covered by a CB and a safety/other back. How many times was he hit on the sidelines by a FS providing horizontal cover support before could come down with the ball inbounds?

The FL defense was too fast and physical to allow the advantage of an additional cover guy. This same game plan may work brilliantly with WMU or BSU, but if you want to beat a team like FL (or perhaps MO), you have to pull out all the stops and introduce an element of chaos. A team like FL is just too talented to beat straight up.

I think if Owens had frequently scrambled we would have found the end zone at least once, but perhaps we were worried about getting him hurt? Just my thoughts, realizing that everything is obvious in hindsight.
09-02-2013 01:35 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

We can't pull out the chaos play book week 1 though... If this was a bowl game it would have been played differently. Lots of things in our play book we save to use once. This weekend I saw that Rice play, the fake punt TD. Why did they use that week one in a blow out... Waste of a play that every team will be ready for from now on.
09-02-2013 01:48 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I personally wouldn't put Owens running the ball into the "trick play" category. It's not secret that he can run. I think the only question raised was should his number have been called more often in the FL game?

I'm already on record as posting, I don't think we have the back-up but it hard for me to refute Blitz' argument. Calling Owens' number would have given FL one less defender on the receivers. However, if I'm coach I let my third year QB make the decision.
09-02-2013 02:13 PM
RowdyReptile Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida
Interesting reference.

Remember, there are no rules in a knife fight.

03-nutkick

Someone say 1..2...3...Go!

RR
09-02-2013 02:24 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
1-2-3-go!
"I was rooting for you the whole time"...great movie! And just like you, Rowdy, I was thinking of some of those moments/lines
09-02-2013 03:10 PM
Advertisement

AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(09-02-2013 01:35 PM)Blitz Wrote:  My take is that Owens was underutilized. If you have a two-dimensional QB that you only utilize in the pocket, you significantly limit your chances of beating a more talented team.

If you have a QB that is a legitimate scramble threat, then the defense must adjust by assigning a secondary defender to prevent a breakout. If that QB shows no inclination towards scrambling, that secondary defender can be assigned to provide additional pass support. It seemed like every time the ball went to Reedy, he was covered by a CB and a safety/other back. How many times was he hit on the sidelines by a FS providing horizontal cover support before could come down with the ball inbounds?

The FL defense was too fast and physical to allow the advantage of an additional cover guy. This same game plan may work brilliantly with WMU or BSU, but if you want to beat a team like FL (or perhaps MO), you have to pull out all the stops and introduce an element of chaos. A team like FL is just too talented to beat straight up.

I think if Owens had frequently scrambled we would have found the end zone at least once, but perhaps we were worried about getting him hurt? Just my thoughts, realizing that everything is obvious in hindsight.
TO couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn on Saturday. Plain and simple, he stunk. He's proven to be better in the past, so I'm hoping that he bounces back at Missouri. If he does, we'll win. If not, it will be a long season. As for scrambling, the UF D line was way too dominate on the ends. If you disagree... go watch a replay.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 11:41 AM by AquaRocket.)
09-02-2013 06:50 PM
Rocket Pirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: Seton Hall
Owens was way off his game and as others have pointed out, he would have had a hard time running against this defense. The Florida defense was defending the run and the only way UT could have broken it was to have Owens hit the receivers with great accuracy. He did not do that and the offense struggled. Owens would have had trouble getting around the DEs with the way they were playing. I didn't remember Owens getting sacked, so I looked it up this morning and he was sacked twice for a total of three yards. That's not an attacking defense, that's a defense sitting back and waiting to take on your RB, your fast QB, and matching up with your receivers. That defense is stacked with blue chip recruits and can afford to do that.

I wish UT could have gotten a TD on the board. I wasn't expecting a win, but I was hoping for a better offensive performance. But looking at how Florida played, Owens was going to have to play exclusively in the pocket and have the best game of his career for the offense to perform well against Florida's stacked defense playing in the scheme they did.
09-03-2013 07:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.