Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU at Akron
Bookmark and Share
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
JMU at Akron
I had noticed over the past few weeks a lot of people predicting a loss in the game. Why shouldn't we expect to win this game?

Towson 33 - UConn 18
NDSU 24 - Kansas State 21
Eastern Washington 49 - #25 Oregon State 46
McNeese State 53 - USF 21
Northern Iowa 28 - Iowa State 20
Eastern Illinois 40- San Diego St 19

These teams that won against FBS teams in week 1 are our peers. The only school I would concede an advantage to would be NDSU. And they all defeated schools far superior to the Akron Zips.

Seriously, we are playing a bottom 5 team in FBS ball ( excluding startup/ transition teams). We'll likely be playing in front of a non hostile environment w/ a crowd roughly the size of an away game at Towson or W&M. I'm not guaranteeing a win, just saying I'll be disappointed if we don't. A lot of us including myself say that joining the MAC is a lateral move. Sure, their top teams are better than us, but by no means should we expect defeat against a MAC bottom feeder. If we want to talk the talk, it's time to walk the walk.

Go Dukes!
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 02:01 PM by olddawg.)
09-01-2013 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: JMU at Akron
We should win the game easily. If we lose the game, it's the death of JMU football. This team is awful.
09-01-2013 02:04 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

JMU at Akron
(09-01-2013 01:59 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I had noticed over the past few weeks a lot of people predicting a loss in the game. Why shouldn't we expect to win this game?

Towson 33 - UConn 18

These teams that won against FBS teams in week 1 are our peers. The only school I would concede an advantage to would be NDSU. And they all defeated schools far superior to the Akron Zips.

Seriously, we are playing a bottom 5 team in FBS ball ( excluding startup/ transition teams). We'll likely be playing in front of a non hostile environment w/ a crowd roughly the size of an away game at Towson or W&M. I'm not guaranteeing a win, just saying I'll be disappointed if we don't. A lot of us including myself say that joining the MAC is a lateral move. Sure, their top teams are better than us, but by no means should we expect defeat against a MAC bottom feeder. If we want to talk the talk, it's time to walk the walk.

Go Dukes!

In my opinion, we should win this game. My opinion and reality don't necessarily match up. I know we have a coach with an overall history of disliking these games. I'm am in 100% "I'll believe it when I see it" mode when it comes to fbs games.
09-01-2013 02:43 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(09-01-2013 02:04 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  If we lose the game, it's the death of JMU football.

well that's a bit dramatic

Dukes win.
09-01-2013 02:48 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(09-01-2013 01:59 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I had noticed over the past few weeks a lot of people predicting a loss in the game. Why shouldn't we expect to win this game?

Towson 33 - UConn 18

Go Dukes!

We shouldn't expect to win that game because we looked very average, at best, last night. Maybe the kinks are worked out and a good week of practice will make a difference. I think we missed D. Brown a lot last night; it looked as if the receivers were struggling to get open at times. The one positive, other than a W, was getting the 2's some pt.
09-01-2013 03:09 PM
2caafans Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: N/A
(09-01-2013 02:04 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  We should win the game easily. If we lose the game, it's the death of JMU football. This team is awful.

I have followed Akron football for many years......don't ask why! If JMU loses this game it may not be death of JMU football....BUT it will feel like it!!
09-01-2013 03:44 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2013 03:44 PM)2caafans Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 02:04 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  We should win the game easily. If we lose the game, it's the death of JMU football. This team is awful.

I have followed Akron football for many years......don't ask why! If JMU loses this game it may not be death of JMU football....BUT it will feel like it!!

They had a cool name for their old stadium," The Rubber Bowl".

It's really a shame they don't draw better crowds because their new stadium looks really nice.
09-01-2013 04:14 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

When I say the death of JMU football...let me be clear. NOBODY will give a **** if we lose to Akron. How can you possibly get those people back?
09-01-2013 04:21 PM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

Game is on ESPN3.
09-01-2013 04:22 PM
Sax Offline
Special Teams

(09-01-2013 04:21 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  When I say the death of JMU football...let me be clear. NOBODY will give a **** if we lose to Akron. How can you possibly get those people back?

Half of the (student) fans that show up don't even understand how conferences work. They won't care unless the losing trend continues past that.
09-01-2013 05:01 PM
itGoesJMU Offline
Bench Warmer

We should definitely beat them. Maybe we'll catch the eyes of some FBS conferences if we can beat them and UNCC. But then again, both have pretty horrible programs (especially with UNCC's first away game being against us) so things may not change after all...
09-01-2013 05:44 PM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

JMU at Akron
Uncc beat the crap out of Campbell
09-01-2013 05:56 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-01-2013 05:44 PM)itGoesJMU Wrote:  We should definitely beat them. Maybe we'll catch the eyes of some FBS conferences if we can beat them and UNCC. But then again, both have pretty horrible programs (especially with UNCC's first away game being against us) so things may not change after all...

Did you see Charlotte's score. They may give us more than many think. We'll win, but I wouldn't count on it being a 3+ touchdown victory like last night. This is going to be a very big game for them, much like we have been for Liberty.
09-01-2013 06:00 PM
JMUTEKE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU Dooks
I agree the Akron win will put a notch on a belt for JMU .... not so much with a UNCC win. Anybody who knows anything about college football will know that. They (UNCC) are in transition to FBS ... so the news media will spin it as a great win (if we do) .... & I expect we should win at both ...
09-01-2013 06:13 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

JMU at Akron
BEAT Akron
09-01-2013 06:15 PM
jmu@uva Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James&Thomas
I'm hearing a little "chickens before they hatch" counting going on. I think we played pretty well against an opponent we should beat down at home last night. Akron is a terrible FBS team, no doubt. But I don't believe in calling a game before it's played. It's also well said on this threat about UNCC...they didn't exactly look bad in their opener. Granted, they weren't playing a JMU...but they did put up 52 points and kept Campbell to 1 score. Not bad for a program literally starting out. I'm not shaking in my boots. But I am giving these two teams respect, knowing if we don't show up, we could lose one of these games....
09-01-2013 06:54 PM
Advertisement

itGoesJMU Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-01-2013 06:00 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(09-01-2013 05:44 PM)itGoesJMU Wrote:  We should definitely beat them. Maybe we'll catch the eyes of some FBS conferences if we can beat them and UNCC. But then again, both have pretty horrible programs (especially with UNCC's first away game being against us) so things may not change after all...

Did you see Charlotte's score. They may give us more than many think. We'll win, but I wouldn't count on it being a 3+ touchdown victory like last night. This is going to be a very big game for them, much like we have been for Liberty.

They obviously have a good offense, but on the flip side Campbell's defense doesn't even compare to UNCC's overall team. I'm not expecting a 3+ touchdown victory in any games like last night. They're not going to be a walk off win, but we shouldn't lose to them either. They'll probably bring a few busses of students up from Charlotte for the game too.
09-01-2013 07:07 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

JMU at Akron
09-01-2013 07:28 PM
jjmc85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UMass

Towson 33 - UConn 18

Go Dukes!

Two things- as someone who closely followed an FBS transition team last year, Akron is in the bottom 5 even if you include them.

Also, as someone who followed the A-10/CAA from 2003-2011 and has seen one season in the MAC, football wise I'd say the MAC is better. UMass probably would have been a mediocre CAA team last year, middle of the pack. They were a crappy MAC team. That being said, the top of the CAA can definitely compete in the MAC. I don't know about for all sports, but football only it wouldn't be a lateral move.

I didn't see JMU play last year or this year and only saw Akron play one (game against UMass last year) but from what I remember, I'd bet on JMU in this game.
09-01-2013 09:53 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

If JMU loses to Akron is there any reason to follow JMU football? Should beat them by 20 at least.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 10:49 PM by DoubleDDuke.)
09-01-2013 10:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.