Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Perspective for Football
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
Perspective for Football
I graduated in 1972. Therefore, I was at Rice for the 1968-71 football seasons. I was reflecting on the trajectory of the athletic department, and the football team in particular, over the last 40 years.

I realize that 40 years is a long time, and that this might be a horse that has been beaten to death.

I write this to consider how the three doormats of the SWC at the time, A&M, Baylor, and TCU have separated themselves from us.

1968-71 was considered an awful period in Rice football. I n 1968, we had our first winless season, 0-9-1. Over the four seasons, we won only 11 games. Yet during that period, we had the following records against other SWC teams.

UT 0-4
Ark 0-3-1
SMU 0-4
TT 1-3
TCU 1- 3
A&M 2-2
Baylor 3- 1

And many of our losses were competitive.

I don't think we would do so well against Baylor, A&M, and TCU today.

Another dismal thought.

I watched the SMU Tech game last night. Tech was led by a pretty good QB who was a true freshman walk on. If I heard the announcers correctly, he had scholarship offers from Rice and Wash St, but preferred to walk on at Tech. Pretty sad that someone would rather be a walk on elsewhere than get a scholarship to Rice. I suppose the thought of playing against teams like OU and UT is simply more gratifying than playing teams like Old Dominion and Western Kentucky.
08-31-2013 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Perspective for Football
According to at least this article, Mayfield had no scholarship offers...
http://ow.ly/orvtp

Maybe the announcers were describing visits? If so, Mayfield also walked away from the Pac 12. Who knows what his reasons were? Maybe he was a Tech fan since birth, or maybe his girlfriend went there... Or maybe he couldn't get admitted to Rice?
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 10:48 AM by NYNightOwl.)
08-31-2013 10:45 AM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-31-2013 10:45 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  According to at least this article, Mayfield had no scholarship offers...

Maybe the announcers were describing visits? If so, Mayfield also walked away from the Pac 12. Who knows what his reasons were? Maybe he was a Tech fan since birth, or maybe his girlfriend went there... Or maybe he couldn't get admitted to Rice?

The story I've read is that he did have a few offers including Rice, but held out for a TCU offer that never came. By that time Rice, with German committed, was full at QB.
08-31-2013 12:46 PM
Advertisement

talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(08-31-2013 12:46 PM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  
(08-31-2013 10:45 AM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  According to at least this article, Mayfield had no scholarship offers...

The story I've read is that he did have a few offers including Rice, but held out for a TCU offer that never came. By that time Rice, with German committed, was full at QB.

IIRC we were Mayfield's first offer, and he was our first QB offer and only other QB offered for 2013 besides German. But there just wasn't ever really any interest on his side. The bit about him holding out for TCU sounds familiar. Seems to have worked out pretty well for him though. To start as a true frosh and be tutored by Kingsbury at his alma mater.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/rice/football/re...eld-138873
09-01-2013 07:07 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Most of the 1971 losses were close losses with the Texas game is only conference game in which we did not have a chance. It was mentioned after the season how few points difference it would have take to go to the Cotton Bowl as a conference co-champ.

(08-31-2013 10:18 AM)Ranger Wrote:  I graduated in 1972. Therefore, I was at Rice for the 1968-71 football seasons. I was reflecting on the trajectory of the athletic department, and the football team in particular, over the last 40 years.

I realize that 40 years is a long time, and that this might be a horse that has been beaten to death.

I write this to consider how the three doormats of the SWC at the time, A&M, Baylor, and TCU have separated themselves from us.

1968-71 was considered an awful period in Rice football. I n 1968, we had our first winless season, 0-9-1. Over the four seasons, we won only 11 games. Yet during that period, we had the following records against other SWC teams.

UT 0-4
Ark 0-3-1
SMU 0-4
TT 1-3
TCU 1- 3
A&M 2-2
Baylor 3- 1

And many of our losses were competitive.

I don't think we would do so well against Baylor, A&M, and TCU today.

Another dismal thought.

I watched the SMU Tech game last night. Tech was led by a pretty good QB who was a true freshman walk on. If I heard the announcers correctly, he had scholarship offers from Rice and Wash St, but preferred to walk on at Tech. Pretty sad that someone would rather be a walk on elsewhere than get a scholarship to Rice. I suppose the thought of playing against teams like OU and UT is simply more gratifying than playing teams like Old Dominion and Western Kentucky.
09-02-2013 02:02 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Rice will be fine, if we continue to recruit the right players and have them here for four or five years in a good system. I went to the Clear Creek HS game Thursday night and was amazed that their quarterback (Jarrett Hildreth) hadn't committed anywhere yet. I guess he has some offers (Houston, Utah, Colorado State and some others) so he'll probably commit somewhere soon. But if this state can produce QB's of this nature, we'll continue to get recruits who are really good college football players.

Football is still king in this state, and regardless of the conference we're in, we're going to have superior players than a lot of our competition.
09-02-2013 05:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.