Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU making a soft landing to the MW?
Bookmark and Share
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
BYU making a soft landing to the MW?
BYU just scheduled a home and home with San Jose st for 2015 and 2017. BYU has 4 MW so far for 2014 and need another game for a 12 game schedule and 5 for 2015 with more MW teams to be scheduled in the later years.
This leads me to wonder with the scheduling of 5 MW teams if BYU is making a transition back. (4 of them in November mind you.)

I know BYU values its independence and their own TV package but why the need to schedule so many MW teams? How does that translate into the so called $6 million TV package they supposedly get with MW teams? (My guess is they don't get the money whispered around.)

BYU has yet to line up another bowl other than the 2015 Poinsettia Bowl and while all the other bowls and new bowls have made announcements, BYU has yet to announce anything additional.

Are their fans go to put up with being left out of the Access Bowl year in and year out if they are ranked ahead of the G5 champ that gets the tie-in but have to sit out because the Major Bowls are setup for conferences?
We know they don't get hardly anything for the playoff $$.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/mtn-w...hedule.php
08-22-2013 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

RE: BYU making a soft landing to the MW?
Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS 4h
For its potential sixth bowl-tie in, Mountain West Conference talking with #BYU about a partnership, per MWC commish Craig Thompson

OK, maybe this is why BYU is scheduling 5 or more MW teams.
They need bowl access just as ND did. However, still leaves BYU out of any Access Bowl.
08-25-2013 06:53 PM
SergiofromFresno Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Fresno State
I dont see BYU ever joining up with SJSU, Nevada, Utah St, and Wyoming. More likely they talk with SDSU, Boise, Houston, and SMU and try to form a solid 12 school conference if their independence experiment fails.

That being said, the Bowl situation is not looking too good for the Cougars.

I mean a game vs the 5th place MWC School?

Jesus.
08-25-2013 10:03 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
Even though I hate them, I wish they would come back it's best for MWC and BYU. We would also bring in UTEP w/ them I like that too.
08-26-2013 08:24 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-26-2013 08:24 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Even though I hate them, I wish they would come back it's best for MWC and BYU. We would also bring in UTEP w/ them I like that too.

They would be the only team that will add value to the MW with TV, and with that would offset the playoff $$ being split by 2 additional teams.
08-27-2013 10:50 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(08-22-2013 04:24 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  BYU just scheduled a home and home with San Jose st for 2015 and 2017. BYU has 4 MW so far for 2014 and need another game for a 12 game schedule and 5 for 2015 with more MW teams to be scheduled in the later years.
This leads me to wonder with the scheduling of 5 MW teams if BYU is making a transition back. (4 of them in November mind you.)

I know BYU values its independence and their own TV package but why the need to schedule so many MW teams? How does that translate into the so called $6 million TV package they supposedly get with MW teams? (My guess is they don't get the money whispered around.)

BYU has yet to line up another bowl other than the 2015 Poinsettia Bowl and while all the other bowls and new bowls have made announcements, BYU has yet to announce anything additional.

Are their fans go to put up with being left out of the Access Bowl year in and year out if they are ranked ahead of the G5 champ that gets the tie-in but have to sit out because the Major Bowls are setup for conferences?

BYU is in the Poinsettia Bowl 2 out of six years in the next cycle. Guaranteed 2015 if they qualify and one other year after that if they qualify but the second date has not been set.

2013 - Army
2014 - Navy
2015 - BYU

All that is anounced so far. BYU gets one of the years 2016 through 2019. Army and Navy probably will factor back in too since this bowl originated as a Military Access Bowl when it was conceived the first time around. Any open slots after 2015 might include the AAC too once Navy joins them in 2015.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013 08:34 AM by panite.)
09-13-2013 12:10 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(08-22-2013 04:24 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  BYU just scheduled a home and home with San Jose st for 2015 and 2017. BYU has 4 MW so far for 2014 and need another game for a 12 game schedule and 5 for 2015 with more MW teams to be scheduled in the later years.

If BYU does not make it to the B-12, I would expect them to eventually rejoin the MWC with a Boise deal, their own current TV deal kept separate, and with out paying a re-entry fee. Think the MWC would welcome them back with open arms to eventually increase their TV package and to by pass the ACC. Guess UTEP would be the logical choice to get them to 14 schools in the league. This would give BYU access bowl access and a better selection of postseason bowls two.

For the time being though watch them play the MWC off the AAC getting 4 to 5 MWC games and 2 to 4 AAC teams eventually to fill their late October and November schedules. BYU could also play into the Marlins Bowl and the Christmas Bowl as an AAC opponent if both of those bowls get off the ground. As of now BYU fills the remainder of their schedule with B-10, B-12, ACC, and CUSA opponents, Army, and with ND. They still have 4 contracted but unscheduled games with ND.
09-14-2013 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.