Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU position changes
Bookmark and Share
JMad03 Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
JMU position changes
Per Stoss, two QB's moving positions

Lukas O'Connor to WR - been mentioned he may go there, but is official. MM said he didn't throw well enough to stay as QB

Lafonte Thorougood(sp?) to Strong Safety - his shoulder is still an issue with him throwing. Positives is that he's getting on the field and helping in adding depth to safety
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 11:20 AM by JMad03.)
08-22-2013 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
RE: JMU position changes
(08-22-2013 11:18 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Per Stoss, two QB's moving positions

Lukas O'Connor to WR - been mentioned he may go there, but is official. MM said he didn't throw well enough to stay as QB

Lafonte Thorougood(sp?) to Strong Safety - his shoulder is still an issue with him throwing. Positives is that he's getting on the field and helping in adding depth to safety

I like having a former QB at Safety, he already knows how to read the field and probably will give him some insight into what the offense is doing.
08-22-2013 11:29 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

So what we have behind Birdsong is a walk on true freshman? That's scary.
08-22-2013 11:33 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Online
Heisman

(08-22-2013 11:33 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  So what we have behind Birdsong is a walk on true freshman? That's scary.

They've been saying good things about Schiele, at least. He's been a surprise based on some of the things being said about him. When Lafonte was throwing, he was heavily competing with him for the second spot.

Yes, a bit scary, but I'm hopefully optimistic that maybe we found a diamond in the rough. He should be able to get some reps in the first few home games so that could help.
Hopefully he'll stay as just a second string and won't need to come in at crucial times.
08-22-2013 11:41 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I thought Lafonte was going to play RB...safety that's quite a switch. Two freshmen behind Birdsong at QB (Schiele and Girvan), wow? Given Birdsong's injury history, you have to believe the backups will play this season. Birdsong himself has very little experience. Should be interesting, if nothing else.
08-22-2013 11:43 AM
Advertisement

Onyxduke7 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
(08-22-2013 11:43 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  I thought Lafonte was going to play RB...safety that's quite a switch. Two freshmen behind Birdsong at QB (Schiele and Girvan), wow? Given Birdsong's injury history, you have to believe the backups will play this season. Birdsong himself has very little experience. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

That is a pretty significant switch but if he cant throw the ball, he may as well be on the field elsewhere. Hopefully it works out.

As for as Schiele and Girvan go... Has anyone seen them throw? These pocket passers or dual threat guys? I haven't heard much about these guys.
08-22-2013 11:51 AM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I went to Meet the Dukes Day and Schiele looked very good that day. There were a few throws that he had that were dangerous and likely would have gotten his receivers killed in a real game, but overall he threw the ball very well. His passes were mostly short to mid-range passes. His receivers seemed to be open a lot more than when Birdsong was in, though. I'm not sure if our second team defense is really that poor at pass coverage or if the WRs were just running different routes than the first team was. I don't recall seeing Schiele ever scramble. He was much more of a pocket passer. Birdsong scrambled a good amount during the scrimmage.

I thought Girvan was inaccurate with his throws. He didn't get any reps during the scrimmage, so I can't say whether or not he is a scrambler though.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 12:08 PM by bridgeforthduke.)
08-22-2013 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Dukes86 Offline
2nd String

(08-22-2013 11:51 AM)Onyxduke7 Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 11:43 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  I thought Lafonte was going to play RB...safety that's quite a switch. Two freshmen behind Birdsong at QB (Schiele and Girvan), wow? Given Birdsong's injury history, you have to believe the backups will play this season. Birdsong himself has very little experience. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

That is a pretty significant switch but if he cant throw the ball, he may as well be on the field elsewhere. Hopefully it works out.

As for as Schiele and Girvan go... Has anyone seen them throw? These pocket passers or dual threat guys? I haven't heard much about these guys.

I watched Schiele last week a bit at practice. He had some outstanding throws from the pocket. Didn't move a ton. Not sure if he's an adept runner or not, but his arm certainly looked good enough to play.
08-22-2013 12:08 PM
Onyxduke7 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-22-2013 12:08 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  I went to Meet the Dukes Day and Schiele looked very good that day. There were a few throws that he had that were dangerous and likely would have gotten his receivers killed in a real game, but overall he threw the ball very well. His passes were mostly short to mid-range passes. His receivers seemed to be open a lot more than when Birdsong was in, though. I'm not sure if our second team defense is really that poor at pass coverage or if the WRs were just running different routes than the first team was. I don't recall seeing Schiele ever scramble. He was much more of a pocket passer. Birdsong scrambled a good amount during the scrimmage.

I thought Girvan was inaccurate with his throws. He didn't get any reps during the scrimmage, so I can't say whether or not he is a scrambler though.

Thanks for the update! That actually does help me feel a little bit better about Schiele.
08-22-2013 12:16 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing we'd revert back to the Wildcat if the first two QBs went down. Have either DQ or Quentin run it.
08-22-2013 01:02 PM
Onyxduke7 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-22-2013 01:02 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I'm guessing we'd revert back to the Wildcat if the first two QBs went down. Have either DQ or Quentin run it.

That's pretty much what we have been doing the last few years anyway 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 01:30 PM by Onyxduke7.)
08-22-2013 01:30 PM
JMUETC Offline
1st String

(08-22-2013 11:18 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Lukas O'Connor to WR - been mentioned he may go there, but is official. MM said he didn't throw well enough to stay as QB

THIS is good news.
08-22-2013 06:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.