Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU ticket sales lagging for ECU game
Bookmark and Share
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I have to say I am shocked by this article. I really thought you guys would be gobbling up every ticket we gave you and then some. I know there are secondary markets and the tickets might be available cheaper on them but color me surprised.

Honestly thought your allotment would be gone by now.
08-15-2013 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: ODU ticket sales lagging for ECU game
I'm surprised, too. I have a feeling more than 1,400 will show up.
08-15-2013 08:48 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I was surprised as well. Although, I got my tickets through an ECU friend so I guess Im part of the problem. I expect a lot of people did the same since the seats were better, there were cheaper options, and with the proximity many people are friends with alumni from the opposing school. The other issue is it being labor day weekend. Still, 1800 ticket isnt that many. I bet we have at least 3-4000 monarch fans at the game. Hoping for that many at Maryland too.
08-15-2013 08:48 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
The cheapest I saw on stubhub was over $60 but it could be that ECU and ODU fans have already bought up the cheaper ones.
08-15-2013 08:49 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-15-2013 08:48 AM)monarx Wrote:  I was surprised as well. Although, I got my tickets through an ECU friend so I guess Im part of the problem. I expect a lot of people did the same since the seats were better, there were cheaper options, and with the proximity many people are friends with alumni from the opposing school. The other issue is it being labor day weekend. Still, 1800 ticket isnt that many. I bet we have at least 3-4000 monarch fans at the game. Hoping for that many at Maryland too.

I was really expecting you guys to bring 6-8k to the game.
08-15-2013 08:51 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2013 08:51 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 08:48 AM)monarx Wrote:  I was surprised as well. Although, I got my tickets through an ECU friend so I guess Im part of the problem. I expect a lot of people did the same since the seats were better, there were cheaper options, and with the proximity many people are friends with alumni from the opposing school. The other issue is it being labor day weekend. Still, 1800 ticket isnt that many. I bet we have at least 3-4000 monarch fans at the game. Hoping for that many at Maryland too.

We may. Im usually a conservative estimator.
08-15-2013 08:52 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

Re: ODU ticket sales lagging for ECU game
I got 6 for my family but also going with 8 through a ecu friend with family high up with the university. Not sure where my seats are yet but I assume very good and right in the middle of purple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
08-15-2013 08:53 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Thought this game would definitely be a hard ticket to come by. I know ECU fans probably aren't super excited by the opponent, but its the opening game and ODU is a short distance away.
08-15-2013 08:57 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2013 08:57 AM)Niner National Wrote:  Thought this game would definitely be a hard ticket to come by. I know ECU fans probably aren't super excited by the opponent, but its the opening game and ODU is a short distance away.

We're super excited for the home opener, regardless of opponent.

Double that excitement with it being a night game! I don't think we've EVER opened with a night game as long as I've been a fan. (Since '02)
08-15-2013 08:59 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-15-2013 08:57 AM)Niner National Wrote:  Thought this game would definitely be a hard ticket to come by. I know ECU fans probably aren't super excited by the opponent, but its the opening game and ODU is a short distance away.

I'd say if it would be at 45k right now more than 2 weeks out from game time that it will end up being a sellout. That's not that many tickets to move in that amount of time, but I thought it would already be a sell out or really really close at this point.
08-15-2013 09:01 AM
bit_9 Offline

I have spoken with a lot of people. And the word got out months ago that this would be a hard ticket to find. Most people I've spoken with bought from stubhub or other sources rather than through ODU. Reason being was because there was too much fear they wouldn't get a ticket and nobody wanted to wait until 3 weeks before the game to find out if they got a ticket through the ODU purchasing system, especially when people were booking hotels and such months ago. So I expect a decent number of ODU fans, just they will be speckled all over.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 09:19 AM by bit_9.)
08-15-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I should clarify, I said a lot. And by a lot it was a sample size of a half dozen or more. So... take that with a grain of salt I guess. Could just be 200 of us. =]
08-15-2013 09:21 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(08-15-2013 08:51 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

6-8 thousand? Are you serious. ODU might have good sports teams, but as the article stated, there has tradionaly been poor support among ODU students and sports at the school. My sense is that things are changing,but not enough to bring that any students.
08-15-2013 09:24 AM
TOPPERSonTOP Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU TOPS
i hate buying tickets from the school. i paid 25 dollars more and moved from the top half of uk's lower bowl to the front row corner endzone... best money ever spent front row is just a totally different animal...
08-15-2013 09:34 AM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Wow. Surprised as well. For comp sake Jmu sold over 20k to play Wvu last year
08-15-2013 09:40 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2013 08:51 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I was really expecting you guys to bring 6-8k to the game.

Why. We sell out some games vs CUSA schools and others who bring no one. We don't need help selling out an opening night game in a season in which we are getting preseason top 25 votes even if it's a holiday weekend. This game should sell out regardless.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 09:45 AM by StillJonesing.)
08-15-2013 09:43 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

(08-15-2013 09:43 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 08:51 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I was really expecting you guys to bring 6-8k to the game.

Why. We sell out some games vs CUSA schools and others who bring no one. We don't need help selling out an opening night game in a season in which we are getting preseason top 25 votes even if it's a holiday weekend. This game should sell out regardless.

That's the reason a lot of people bought tickets a long time ago and not through the school. We all knew it would sell out and nobody wanted to get caught 3 weeks prior not getting any of the allotment.

But that's just my optimistic look at it. Or we just have a crappy traveling fanbase. =]
08-15-2013 10:02 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-15-2013 09:24 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  6-8 thousand? Are you serious. ODU might have good sports teams, but as the article stated, there has tradionaly been poor support among ODU students and sports at the school. My sense is that things are changing,but not enough to bring that any students.

ODU student tickets for this game haven't even gone on sale yet, so this has nothing to do with it. The students won't be able to buy tickets until the 19th of August when online registration ends for everyone else.
08-15-2013 10:06 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(08-15-2013 09:40 AM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  Wow. Surprised as well. For comp sake Jmu sold over 20k to play Wvu last year

I would expect JMU to have a larger traveling fan base right now. You guys have been around, and been successful, for quite a while.

Selling out home games and selling large numbers for road games are different animals. Some local people will buy tickets and support home games but have no interest in driving (or flying) to see the team on the road.
08-15-2013 10:06 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-15-2013 10:06 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(08-15-2013 09:40 AM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  Wow. Surprised as well. For comp sake Jmu sold over 20k to play Wvu last year

I would expect JMU to have a larger traveling fan base right now. You guys have been around, and been successful, for quite a while.

Selling out home games and selling large numbers for road games are different animals. Some local people will buy tickets and support home games but have no interest in driving (or flying) to see the team on the road.

FWIW, that game was in the DC area (Fed Ex Field) where something like 90k of their alumni live.
08-15-2013 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.