Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Albany coach Bob Ford to retire after his 44th season as HC
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Albany coach Bob Ford to retire after his 44th season as HC
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Longtime University at Albany football coach Bob Ford is coaching his last season.

Ford announced Tuesday at the team's media day that he'll retire after the season. Hired in 1970, he's the longest tenured coach in college football. With 264 career victories, Ford ranks second among all active college coaches and first among active Division I coaches. He's been named Northeast Conference coach of the year four times and has led the Great Danes to six NEC titles.

At one time, Ford was the youngest head football coach in the nation when at 26 he took over the reins at St. Lawrence University in 1965. He will end his career as the nation's oldest. He turns 76 next month.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...etire-year
08-13-2013 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
RE: Albany coach Bob Ford to retire after his 44th season as HC
(08-13-2013 11:09 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  ALBANY, N.Y. -- Longtime University at Albany football coach Bob Ford is coaching his last season.

Ford announced Tuesday at the team's media day that he'll retire after the season. Hired in 1970, he's the longest tenured coach in college football. With 264 career victories, Ford ranks second among all active college coaches and first among active Division I coaches. He's been named Northeast Conference coach of the year four times and has led the Great Danes to six NEC titles.

At one time, Ford was the youngest head football coach in the nation when at 26 he took over the reins at St. Lawrence University in 1965. He will end his career as the nation's oldest. He turns 76 next month.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...etire-year

Thanks for posting this. I was in grad school when he first arrived at Albany, and feel fortunate to have gotten to know him a bit over the years. He has mentored a lot of college coaches who got their start or had a stint on his staff. Just an FYI, Drew Smith, Albany's star running back '13, is in the Buffalo Bills camp vying for a roster spot. Albany's starting 22 are very good, bench depth will be their issue in the first few years in the CAA. Coach Ford is top shelf!
08-14-2013 07:18 AM
JMU Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
While this is a great accomplishment and Bob Ford should be congratulated on his career, it really means absolutely nothing to me. I don't care about Albany. JMU doesnt care about Albany - we have never played them and we virtually don't know anything about them. There is no rivalry. Hopefully, there will be no developing rivalry. Not sure why this is even posted on the JMU board. Please move the thread to off-topic.
08-14-2013 07:50 AM
NYJMUPIKE Offline
2nd String

(08-14-2013 07:50 AM)JMU Wrote:  While this is a great accomplishment and Bob Ford should be congratulated on his career, it really means absolutely nothing to me. I don't care about Albany. JMU doesnt care about Albany - we have never played them and we virtually don't know anything about them. There is no rivalry. Hopefully, there will be no developing rivalry. Not sure why this is even posted on the JMU board. Please move the thread to off-topic.

I gotta say something that has been bothering me a long time about JMU. Our fans continually claim they do not care about Albany and Stony Brook because they are beneath us.

Were you guys saying the same thing about South Florida, UConn, et al in the 90's? Teams we used to beat that would now kick the **** out of us. I hope I am not writing this same paragraph 5 years from now talking about how these two SUNY schools would now be significantly above us in competition level.
08-14-2013 08:09 AM
JMU Offline
All American

I did not say I think that Albany is beneath JMU. I just do not know why Bob Ford's retirement annoucement is a thread on a JMU sports message board. We do not care. We have no rivalry with them. If it was Jimmye Laycock's retirement announcement then I could understand. But Bob Ford's - give me a freakin break.
08-14-2013 08:23 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2013 08:23 AM)JMU Wrote:  I did not say I think that Albany is beneath JMU. I just do not know why Bob Ford's retirement annoucement is a thread on a JMU sports message board. We do not care. We have no rivalry with them. If it was Jimmye Laycock's retirement announcement then I could understand. But Bob Ford's - give me a freakin break.

Why is this posted on a sports board, in particular a board dedicated to JMU sports?

Well, first off, perhaps it's because JMU does play Albany this year...and JMU will probably play the Danes next year too (even if JMU is in transition to another conference by then). Secondly, this man's coaching career is historic, and JMU fans will get to see him at BFS in one of his last games ever. Thirdly, it's a sports board, and this isn't a board where only sports information about "rivals" may be posted...read what interests you, and if it doesn't, move on.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 09:14 AM by Longhorn.)
08-14-2013 09:14 AM
Advertisement

JMU Offline
All American

I acknowleged that it is a great accomplishment by Bob Ford. It truly is. However, it should be moved to OT as no one really cares about an Albany-JMU rivalry. I do have to agree with you that this topic is more about sports than Cantrell Avenue being renamed MLK Avenue.
08-14-2013 09:19 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I actually think Albany and Stony Brook have ton of potential. Now that the SUNY system is allowing more $$$ to flow to athletics, NY is an area for growth.
08-14-2013 09:22 AM
JMU Offline
All American

(08-14-2013 09:22 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I actually think Albany and Stony Brook have ton of potential. Now that the SUNY system is allowing more $$$ to flow to athletics, NY is an area for growth.

That may be true. But that is not what this thread is about. It is about a revered coach that practically no one in JMU land has ever heard about and, thus, could care less because there is no rivalry or soon to develop rivalry.
08-14-2013 09:27 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2013 09:14 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(08-14-2013 08:23 AM)JMU Wrote:  I did not say I think that Albany is beneath JMU. I just do not know why Bob Ford's retirement annoucement is a thread on a JMU sports message board. We do not care. We have no rivalry with them. If it was Jimmye Laycock's retirement announcement then I could understand. But Bob Ford's - give me a freakin break.

Why is this posted on a sports board, in particular a board dedicated to JMU sports?

Well, first off, perhaps it's because JMU does play Albany this year...and JMU will probably play the Danes next year too (even if JMU is in transition to another conference by then). Secondly, this man's coaching career is historic, and JMU fans will get to see him at BFS in one of his last games ever. Thirdly, it's a sports board, and this isn't a board where only sports information about "rivals" may be posted...read what interests you, and if it doesn't, move on.

Yep. I just took a shot at you on the Cantrell thread but in agreement here.
08-14-2013 10:49 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

What? You'd rather read thread about conference rumors that might have little to nothing to do with JMU? Or the incessant whining and bitching about how JMU hasn't moved up yet?
08-14-2013 11:01 AM
Advertisement

JMU Offline
All American

(08-14-2013 11:01 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

What? You'd rather read thread about conference rumors that might have little to nothing to do with JMU? Or the incessant whining and bitching about how JMU hasn't moved up yet?

Those threads are old, too. But at least they have something to do with JMU. And every now and then there is a nugget of information to chew on and keep the faith. But, overall I agree they are tired.

With respect to this thread its simple. Bob Ford has nothing to do with JMU. JMU has never had anything to do with Albany/Ford. JMU hopefully has a limited engagement with Albany going forward. After this year, Bob Ford will not roam the sidelines at JMU. Not to diminish Ford's career at all. I think it is great.
08-14-2013 11:12 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

Bob Ford shot Jesse James.

In Harrisonburg there is an auto shop called Jesse James Performance.

There's your connection and you're welcome.
08-14-2013 11:21 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Why such animosity about the topic. Don't say WE do not care. Speak for yourself. It is a conference related topic about a great individual with a great record of accomplishment. I am glad to know it is final go around and look forward to witnessing his coaching.
08-14-2013 11:21 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2013 11:12 AM)JMU Wrote:  
(08-14-2013 11:01 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

Those threads are old, too. But at least they have something to do with JMU. And every now and then there is a nugget of information to chew on and keep the faith. But, overall I agree they are tired.

With respect to this thread its simple. Bob Ford has nothing to do with JMU. JMU has never had anything to do with Albany/Ford. JMU hopefully has a limited engagement with Albany going forward. After this year, Bob Ford will not roam the sidelines at JMU. Not to diminish Ford's career at all. I think it is great.

Well, gee, Albany being in the CAA for football and Albany @ JMU 9/28 must be an optical illusion.

Anytime a CAA HC is fired/retires/announces his retirement/resigns I think its newsworthy relative to JMU football. Esp considering JMU plays them in 6+ weeks. If this happened to any of the other CAA HCs would have done the same thing. It is something (a CAA head coaching change) that happens usually once to twice a year.
08-14-2013 11:24 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2013 11:21 AM)DooX Wrote:  Bob Ford shot Jesse James.

In Harrisonburg there is an auto shop called Jesse James Performance.

There's your connection and you're welcome.

03-thumbsup
08-14-2013 11:30 AM
Advertisement

JMUSkinsfan Offline
2nd String

Albany has become the poster-child for what New York State has been doing over the last decade. They (particularly Cuomo) have pumped a lot of money into upstate in hopes of becoming the next corridor for chip-fabs in the world. The I90 Corridor between Albany and Buffalo is really getting a ton of money and investment in that arena, and U Albany is the epicenter w/ a pipeline into Global Foundries right up the road. I've been to a few conferences on Albany's campus and came away quite impressed.

While there is a lot of controversy surrounding what Cuomo is doing and the investment in that arena, it would be pretty cool to see Bob McDonnell choose JMU as the "educator of _________" ... and target the Valley for expansion in that industry, like Albany and CNY is becoming the emerging hub for semi-conductors. NYS has certainly taken a gamble on the industry, but if it pays off, three of the largest semi-conducter parks in the US will be in Buffalo, Rochester and Saratoga Springs (20 miles from Albany) ... and students at Albany will be the first off the hiring line for these plants. It really improves their prestige ... and with all the $$ being dumped into the academic side, it would not surprise me if the athletic side explodes. I know the northeast is notorious for not supporting college football, but I could see a decent mid-major support crowd emerging for Albany.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 01:36 PM by JMUSkinsfan.)
08-14-2013 01:32 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-14-2013 01:32 PM)JMUSkinsfan Wrote:  Albany has become the poster-child for what New York State has been doing over the last decade. They (particularly Cuomo) have pumped a lot of money into upstate in hopes of becoming the next corridor for chip-fabs in the world. The I90 Corridor between Albany and Buffalo is really getting a ton of money and investment in that arena, and U Albany is the epicenter w/ a pipeline into Global Foundries right up the road. I've been to a few conferences on Albany's campus and came away quite impressed.

While there is a lot of controversy surrounding what Cuomo is doing and the investment in that arena, it would be pretty cool to see Bob McDonnell choose JMU as the "educator of _________" ... and target the Valley for expansion in that industry, like Albany and CNY is becoming the emerging hub for semi-conductors. NYS has certainly taken a gamble on the industry, but if it pays off, three of the largest semi-conducter parks in the US will be in Buffalo, Rochester and Saratoga Springs (20 miles from Albany)

Thanks, that was an interesting read. I've always seen the Albany campus (indeed all the government buildings in Albany) as Nazi architecture run amok...but it sounds like the SUNY system and Cuomo have come up with a master plan that could pay off in a big way.

An existing example of what the SUNY system is investing in already exists in the so-called "research triangle" down in NC (NC-state, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke)...and could easily be a model for VA (thinking of building the connections between UVA, JMU, VT). Governors that "get it" will put money into their universities, not nickle and dime them to death.
08-14-2013 01:43 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2013 01:32 PM)JMUSkinsfan Wrote:  Albany has become the poster-child for what New York State has been doing over the last decade. They (particularly Cuomo) have pumped a lot of money into upstate in hopes of becoming the next corridor for chip-fabs in the world. The I90 Corridor between Albany and Buffalo is really getting a ton of money and investment in that arena, and U Albany is the epicenter w/ a pipeline into Global Foundries right up the road. I've been to a few conferences on Albany's campus and came away quite impressed.

While there is a lot of controversy surrounding what Cuomo is doing and the investment in that arena, it would be pretty cool to see Bob McDonnell choose JMU as the "educator of _________" ... and target the Valley for expansion in that industry, like Albany and CNY is becoming the emerging hub for semi-conductors. NYS has certainly taken a gamble on the industry, but if it pays off, three of the largest semi-conducter parks in the US will be in Buffalo, Rochester and Saratoga Springs (20 miles from Albany) ... and students at Albany will be the first off the hiring line for these plants. It really improves their prestige ... and with all the $$ being dumped into the academic side, it would not surprise me if the athletic side explodes. I know the northeast is notorious for not supporting college football, but I could see a decent mid-major support crowd emerging for Albany.

Well, if you're going to veer off topic into upstate NY economic potential, upstate NY has a better chance than semi conductors at an economic bonanza if they took advantage of Marcellus shale, which they're currently not doing, unlike PA, WV, and OH.
08-14-2013 02:06 PM
NYJMUPIKE Offline
2nd String

(08-14-2013 01:32 PM)JMUSkinsfan Wrote:  Albany has become the poster-child for what New York State has been doing over the last decade. They (particularly Cuomo) have pumped a lot of money into upstate

Unfortunately, they are getting all of this money from the tax money of the wealthier counties (Nassau and Suffolk on Long Island, and Westchester). Talk about unequal redistribution of wealth...
08-14-2013 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.