Open TigerLinks

Thread Closed 
"Incident" At Baby Jack's BBQ In Bartlett
Bookmark and Share
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Saturday, my wife and I decided to try the BBQ at Baby Jacks on Summer Ave, east end of Bartlett. The pulled pork sandwich and beans that I had were distinctively flavorful and I recommend the food (even though I prefer chopped). Sadly, there were pennants and framed football jerseys for UT-K and Miss State on the wall. Upon leaving, I told the young owner-manager, in a friendly and courteous way, that his BBQ was very good but we would not be repeat customers unless the current insult (by ommission) to my alma mater is rectified. He explained that the State jerssey was there from a former emplyee and that although he and his wife were "big UT fans" neither attended there. I asked him how well he thought a BBQ joint in Starkville would do if it had only Memphis and Southern Miss stuff on the walls (I could have just as well said Memphis and Vanderbilt in Knoxville). I think he got my point since he said "I guess I had better do something about that". If other Tiger fans mention the subject something actually will be done.

Some of our fans complain that we don't recruit well enough locally. Situations which exist such as that at Baby Jack's are a part of the problem.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 12:26 PM by Gray Avenger.)
08-12-2013 12:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: "Incident" At Baby Jack's BBQ In Bartlett
That's quite an incident
08-12-2013 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(08-12-2013 12:23 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Saturday, my wife and I decided to try the BBQ at Baby Jacks on Summer Ave, east end of Bartlett. The pulled pork sandwich and beans that I had were distinctively flavorful and I recommend the food (even though I prefer chopped). Sadly, there were pennants and framed football jerseys for UT-K and Miss State on the wall. Upon leaving, I told the young owner-manager, in a friendly and courteous way, that his BBQ was very good but we would not be repeat customers unless the current insult (by ommission) to my alma mater is rectified. He explained that the State jerssey was there from a former emplyee and that although he and his wife were "big UT fans") neither attended there. I asked him how well he thought a BBQ joint in Starkville would do if it had only Memphis and Southern Miss stuff on the walls (I could have just as well said Memphis and Vanderbilt in Knoxville). I think he got my point since he said "I guess I had better do something about that". If other Tiger fans mention the subject something actually will be done.

Some of our fans complain that we don't recruit well enough locally. Situations which exist such as that at Baby Jack's are a part of the problem.

I will take him a black Memphis jersey to hang on the wall.
08-12-2013 12:31 PM
madtiger Offline
Hoops Hater, Shill, and Pro Boot Licker

That place is horrendous.
08-12-2013 12:33 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Two weeks ago, I entered a McDonald's that didnt have any recognication of the University of Memphis or it's athletic program. I decided not to patronize this business even if the employees were cordial and the food was appropriate for my order because of an utter disrespect and disregard for my alma mater. I should see Tiger blue and gray when I enter a business like McDonalds. If I'm ever in Atlanta, GA again, I will not be going to this McDonalds until this situation is rectified.
08-12-2013 12:33 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(08-12-2013 12:30 PM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  That's quite an incident

I know right, thankfully GA was able to get out alive! 03-drunk
08-12-2013 12:34 PM
Advertisement

beanburrito Offline
Bogey Golfer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Baby Jacks is good-nice folks

Drop him off a poster or jersey, I bet it's hanging up next time your there
08-12-2013 12:34 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

Baby Jack's will be the next casualty of the Memphis Tiger Boycott... Right behind Kroger and Rendezvous
08-12-2013 12:36 PM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
I tried "The Shed" from the new Food Network show when I was in Gulfport recently.

The BBQ was not bad, but it was not good either. It completely escapes me as to why it is featured on a show other than maybe the people down there and producers don't know good BBQ, and maybe the people are tv interesting.

But while the place was mostly overrun with $EC stuff (Bama flag, mrs sippy stuff (and fair enough in state and the owner is an alum)

But even at that they had an old Memphis State tin above our table
08-12-2013 12:38 PM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(08-12-2013 12:33 PM)madtiger Wrote:  That place is horrendous.

Yep. Not deserving to hang anything with the word "Memphis" on their wall.
08-12-2013 12:39 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
Really awesome story, but NTR. Can mods please move this from the main forum to the People's?
08-12-2013 12:40 PM
Advertisement

spankadelphia Offline
Banned

You should probably avoid Barksdale's if that sort of thing bothers you too much.
08-12-2013 12:42 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(08-12-2013 12:38 PM)lenetzach Wrote:  I tried "The Shed" from the new Food Network show when I was in Gulfport recently.

The BBQ was not bad, but it was not good either. It completely escapes me as to why it is featured on a show other than maybe the people down there and producers don't know good BBQ, and maybe the people are tv interesting.

But while the place was mostly overrun with $EC stuff (Bama flag, mrs sippy stuff (and fair enough in state and the owner is an alum)

But even at that they had an old Memphis State tin above our table

It has nothing to do with BBQ....it's a Duck Dynasty "reality" knockoff. That being said, I think they won MIM this year.
08-12-2013 12:45 PM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

GA...you could do like a good buddy of mine and simply tear the UT & Miss. State stuff off the wall and run out of the joint.

There is an establishment on Beale that use to display a Louisville flag prominently on its' wall. But, not any more! 02-13-banana
08-12-2013 12:53 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I live in Bartlett. I'm going to complain that there aren't any UAB stuff on the wall.

Maybe it is a possibility that the stuff on the wall represents who the owner or employees root for and not the customers, and furthermore has nothing to do with the quality of the food or service.

GA, does your doctor or dentist office have your school represented. If you are being operated on, do you make damn sure the surgeon is wearing Memphis Blue scrubs, in the correct color?
08-12-2013 12:57 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(08-12-2013 12:57 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I live in Bartlett. I'm going to complain that there aren't any UAB stuff on the wall.

Maybe it is a possibility that the stuff on the wall represents who the owner or employees root for and not the customers, and furthermore has nothing to do with the quality of the food or service.

GA, does your doctor or dentist office have your school represented. If you are being operated on, do you make damn sure the surgeon is wearing Memphis Blue scrubs, in the correct color?

Very good. +1.
08-12-2013 12:59 PM
Advertisement

ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2013 12:57 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I live in Bartlett. I'm going to complain that there aren't any UAB stuff on the wall.

You might be surprised by his answer
08-12-2013 01:00 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
GA would insist on being operated on by Pouncer.
08-12-2013 01:01 PM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
(08-12-2013 01:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  GA would insist on being operated on by Pouncer.

If I remember correctly, GA doesn't care for Pouncer. He wants him to look meaner.
08-12-2013 01:04 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
(08-12-2013 01:04 PM)missjtiger Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  GA would insist on being operated on by Pouncer.

If I remember correctly, GA doesn't care for Pouncer. He wants him to look meaner.

Is Pouncer the correct shade of tiger?
08-12-2013 01:08 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.