Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Montana receives 3 years probabtion, vacates playoff wins from 2011'
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Montana receives 3 years probabtion, vacates playoff wins from 2011'
2 week old news, but I didn't see a thread on this.

NCAA penalizes Montana football over booster perks

HELENA, Mont. (AP) - The University of Montana's football program was placed on probation for three years Friday and will have its scholarships reduced from 63 to 59 over the same period after the NCAA found boosters provided extra benefits to players, including bail money and free legal representation for two athletes.

Other player perks provided by boosters included free meals along with clothing, lodging and transportation, the NCAA found.

The university and former coach Robin Pflugrad failed in their duties to monitor the football program, the NCAA said in its report.

The penalties, many self-imposed by the school, include vacating five wins for games in which ineligible players participated after receiving help with their legal problems in violation of NCAA rules.

The vacated games include a 36-10 win over rival Montana State and FCS playoff wins over Central Arkansas and Northern Iowa in 2011. Montana won the Big Sky Conference title in 2011, finished 11-3 overall and advanced to the FCS semifinals before falling to Sam Houston State. However, it can no longer list those among its football accomplishments, which include seven appearances in the FCS title game since 1995 and two national championships.

The school did not receive a post-season ban.

President Royce Engstrom and athletic director Kent Haslam issued statements Friday saying the university has expanded its compliance office and is improving its communication of NCAA rules to the university's fan base.

The university must also arrange an external review of its compliance program.

Haslam's statement asks boosters to feel free to ask any questions about NCAA regulations by calling, emailing or submitting an anonymous question to the "Ask Grizzly Compliance'' section of the university's website.

Pflugrad, who is now the offensive coordinator at Weber State, is suspended from coaching during the first game of the 2013 season and faces recruiting restrictions this season. He also must attend an NCAA regional rules seminar in 2014.

Pflugrad accepts the sanctions and will not coach from Aug. 26 through Aug. 31, when the Wildcats play Stephen F. Austin, Weber State athletic director Jerry Bovee said in a statement.

Pflugrad, who coached at Montana in 2010 and 2011, did not respond to a phone message seeking comment.

Much of the case revolves around the October 2011 arrests of cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who now plays for the St. Louis Rams, and backup quarterback Gerald Kemp by police trying to break up a loud party. Officers used stun guns on the players.

The NCAA found that a booster posted a $340 bond to bail the two out of jail at the request of one player's grandfather - who later repaid her - while an attorney provided each with about $1,500 in free legal representation after a student employee in the football office told the players his mother was a lawyer.

The NCAA does not identify Kemp and Johnson in its report, but their arrests were widely reported on. They both pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct charges in December 2011.

The NCAA said Pflugrad learned a booster had posted bonds for the two, but did not report it to university officials. NCAA officials also found then-athletic director Jim O'Day and the compliance director were aware that a booster was providing legal assistance to the players.

O'Day said he forwarded the findings and the president's statement to his attorney for review, saying that he "found some of it to be quite interesting.'' He declined further comment.

Pflugrad and O'Day were relieved of their duties in March 2012 without the university giving a reason. The school was notified of the NCAA investigation in January 2012, but it was not announced until May.

The NCAA also found that three couples who were university boosters provided meals for at least eight players on more than 100 occasions from 2004 through 2012, including one couple that gave standing Sunday dinner invitations to several players over the years. Another couple was found to have provided meals for three football players at their postgame tailgate gatherings from 2009 through 2012.

One couple provided a player with free storage space for a month along with meals, transportation, clothing and a small cash loan, while an assistant athletic director committed a secondary violation by providing a player with meals, snacks, lodging and laundry services, the NCAA found.

The NCAA also found that an undergraduate student assistant performed activities allowed to be performed only by coaches, effectively giving the team another coach above the 11 allowed by the FCS. The penalty is a reduction of two student assistant positions in one of the next two seasons.

Pflugrad cannot count the five vacated wins toward his career totals and Johnson and Kemp's statistics from the games in which they were ineligible must be erased from the record books.

The NCAA investigation took place at about the same time the federal departments of Education and Justice were investigating the university for sexual discrimination and its response to reports of sexual assault.

The federal investigations were combined. The university agreed in May to revise its policies and training and adequately respond to sexual assault allegations.

"It is good to be moving forward and to have this situation resolved,'' said Kevin McRae, spokesman for the commissioner of higher education. "UM's student athletes, athletic department, and administration have the full confidence and support of the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education and the Board of Regents. All these folks have worked very hard to get 2011 behind us and to feel good about the future.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2013/fo...index.html
08-10-2013 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mistrhanky Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Montana receives 3 years probabtion, vacates playoff wins from 2011'
Really, I can't give a player a sand which at a post game tailgate?!?
08-10-2013 03:38 PM
JMU Online
All American

Too bad it doesn't apply to Montana's 2008 season.
08-10-2013 03:41 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Is Montana the renegade program of I-AA?

From the March-June 2012 thread on the CAAZone:
http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php...d-AD-O-Day

March:
Quote:In the last 15 months: 3 different rape allegations (2 pending), incident where 2 players had to be tased, 2 DUIs, and a domestic assault:

-Dec 10 gang rape allegation:
"Allegations of rape involving several athletes surfaced late last season, leading to an independent investigation by former Montana Supreme Court Justice Diane Barz.

Barz reported that nine sexual assaults involving UM students had been investigated, including a December 2010 incident in which two women alleged they were drugged and gang raped by members of the football team.

Barz said that Pflugrad did not properly report that incident to university officials; in mid-March, Engstrom was asked if Pflugrad would face punishment for that and replied: "We have not taken up that matter at this time."

Pflugrad defended his actions in December 2010.

"With the information I had at that particular moment in time - I did the right thing with the information I had," he said. "And that was told to me by the Missoula Police Department. I was told I did an admirable job not only with my discussion with all those players, but my disciplinary process."
http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/3/30/291...al-assault

From the ESPN article:
"Earlier this month, a university student accused starting quarterback Jordan Johnson of sexually assaulting her. No charges have been filed.

Johnson was temporarily suspended from spring practice while a temporary restraining order was issued against him. After the restraining order was dissolved last week to be replaced by a civil no-contact agreement, Johnson was allowed to participate in a Saturday scrimmage.

Pflugrad welcomed him back to the field, calling Johnson a person of "tremendous moral fiber" in a statement that was criticized by the alleged victim's attorney.

In January, running back Beau Donaldson was suspended from the team after he was charged with raping an acquaintance in September 2010. He has pleaded not guilty.

Last fall, police used a stun gun against two football players after quarterback Gerald Kemp and cornerback Trumaine Johnson scuffled with officers responding to a noise complaint. They pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct charges."

-Last June player (backup QB, Joe Montana's son) was arrested for DUI. Pled down to reckless.
-Another player arrested for DUI last month (rolled vehicle).

-2 days ago, night before the firings, former player, senior starting corner this past season, was arrested for assaulting a female friend.

June 2012:
Quote:And the hits just keep coming: 4 Montana players have been suspended, including their starting LT who was arrested on felony drug charges:

"MISSOULA- University of Montana's head football coach Mick Delaney has announced that three players have been suspended from the team.

Meanwhile, a fourth player is off the team indefinitely after being arrested on a felony drug charge......"
http://www.kpax.com/news/3-suspended-fro...ball-team/
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 04:34 PM by BDKJMU.)
08-10-2013 04:09 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Of the 2 charged with rape, this past Jan:

"Former UM Griz player Donaldson will serve 10 years for rape

MISSOULA - Former University of Montana Grizzly football player Beau Donaldson was sentenced on Friday to 30 years in prison, with 20 of those years suspended, after he pleaded guilty to raping a sleeping woman at a party in September 2010........"
http://www.krtv.com/news/former-um-griz-...-for-rape/

This past March Montana QB was aquitted in a case which made national news (video):
Jordan Johnson Verdict Reached: Quarterback Found Not guilty
The former University of Montana player was acquitted in a rape trial.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/jordan-j...y-18636097
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/us/jor...-rape.html
and even international news:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...id-no.html
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 04:33 PM by BDKJMU.)
08-10-2013 04:29 PM
bulldogg Offline
1st String

Montana has always been just a bunch of punks and thugs. I hope the new coach instills a new culture of sportsmanship. Their thuggish behavior in our 2008 playoff game showed just what kind of punks they are. After seeing what they did to Landers in 2008 (deliberately targeting him to injure him) I don't think this punishment could have happened to a better team. Do I sound bitter?
08-10-2013 08:52 PM
JMU Online
All American

(08-10-2013 08:52 PM)bulldogg Wrote:  Montana has always been just a bunch of punks and thugs. I hope the new coach instills a new culture of sportsmanship. Their thuggish behavior in our 2008 playoff game showed just what kind of punks they are. After seeing what they did to Landers in 2008 (deliberately targeting him to injure him) I don't think this punishment could have happened to a better team. Do I sound bitter?

See my above comment. Agree 100%.
08-10-2013 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.