Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Legends Bowl - Charleston, SC - MAC vs Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Legends Bowl - Charleston, SC - MAC vs Sun Belt
Still some obstacle in the way, but this sounds the planning is in the advanced stage and would replace the "Rice Bowl" in Little Rock. Good destination city.

Details for the proposed college football bowl game:

Name: Legends Bowl

Stadium: Johnson Hagood

TV: NBC Sports Network

First game: Dec. 20, 2014

Conferences: Sun Belt and Mid-American

Economic impact: $6 million (estimated)

Details
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 11:32 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-10-2013 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
RE: Legends Bowl - Charleston, SC - MAC vs Sun Belt
This used to say Montgomery, now it says Charleston. The MAC must have said no thanks to another bowl in Alabama and asked the organizers to find another city / venue if they wanted the MAC to consider being in the game.

http://legendsbowl.com/about-us.html
08-10-2013 11:34 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Charleston is a great city, would be a lot of fun. After a quick Google search it looks like the stadium has been recently renovated, but is it still suitable for a bowl game with a capacity of only 21,000?
08-10-2013 11:45 AM
All American

(08-10-2013 11:45 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Charleston is a great city, would be a lot of fun. After a quick Google search it looks like the stadium has been recently renovated, but is it still suitable for a bowl game with a capacity of only 21,000?

Stadium would be renovated and seating capacity added. State senators supporting this means money will be thrown at this bowl to make it happen and showcase the state and city as a destination city. Charleston growing fast and lots of money being spent everywhere. This would be a small cost and a nice showcase.
08-10-2013 11:49 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-10-2013 11:19 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Still some obstacle in the way, but this sounds the planning is in the advanced stage and would replace the "Rice Bowl" in Little Rock. Good destination city.

Details for the proposed college football bowl game:

Name: Legends Bowl

Stadium: Johnson Hagood

TV: NBC Sports Network

First game: Dec. 20, 2014

Conferences: Sun Belt and Mid-American

Economic impact: $6 million (estimated)

Details

I read the article and there are SIGNIFICANT hurdles ahead because of the confederate flag issue which has prevented many athletic events from being held in S.C.
08-10-2013 11:54 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I'll wait to add this one to the bowl thread until official comments from the MAC and SBC offices come out. So far this sounds like conjecture city.

I thought the MAC was going to provide a tie-in to the new bowl game in Orlando as part of the bowl pool. That game plus Boca, Mobile, Boise and Detroit vs. AAC would give the league 5 guaranteed slots.
08-10-2013 12:04 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(08-10-2013 12:04 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'll wait to add this one to the bowl thread until official comments from the MAC and SBC offices come out. So far this sounds like conjecture city.

I thought the MAC was going to provide a tie-in to the new bowl game in Orlando as part of the bowl pool. That game plus Boca, Mobile, Boise and Detroit vs. AAC would give the league 5 guaranteed slots.
But don't count your chickens until they are hatched ... it would be prudent to pursue more options than you will sign until you have contracts for five signed, sealed and delivered.
08-10-2013 12:27 PM
All American

"A MODERN FACILITY
The Legends Bowl has targeted venues that have less than 40,000 seats, rather than much larger NFL and major college stadiums, in order to create a scarcity effect for tickets. Full stadiums also enhance the appeal of the game on television. Our team intends to embrace this philosophy to insure its competitive success and marketplace longevity. Johnson Hagood Stadium, located on the campus of The Citadel, provides the perfect venue for the Legends Bowl.

The stadium boasts luxury suites, club seats, a state-of-the-art press box and all the expected amenities of a modern-day facility
."

http://legendsbowl.com/the-venue.html
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 12:49 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
08-10-2013 12:48 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(08-10-2013 12:04 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'll wait to add this one to the bowl thread until official comments from the MAC and SBC offices come out. So far this sounds like conjecture city.

You love conjecture city, 99% of your posts are all conjecture. LOL.
08-10-2013 02:12 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(08-10-2013 02:12 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

I know, it has to be bad if Kittonhead is skeptical.
08-10-2013 02:13 PM
TARDledo Offline
Imperial MACjesty

I Root For: Wayne Brady
(08-10-2013 02:12 PM)utpotts Wrote:  

[Image: mayor-quimby-1.jpg]
08-10-2013 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Very nice destination city and did not change my privacy and cookie settings to read the confederate article (-:. Should not be an issue and feel bad the budget is preventing me from seeing my Minutemen playing in the Charleston Classic around turkey day.

No Issues with NCAA BB third time around article
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 06:59 PM by Steve1981.)
08-10-2013 06:55 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Seems ironic they would want to hold a postseason FBS game in an FCS stadium and still concerned on filling it. If Georgia Southern got a nod, they probably would.

They actually held the FCS championship game there for a few years in the 80s.

Charleston is a great destination and apparently has quite a few Ohio transplants/retirees.
08-11-2013 10:24 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Yes, it does. You see Indians, Reds, Browns and Bengals stuff all over the place. Right now during summer vacation, probably 35-40% of the vacationers on the local beaches are from OH. The Charleston beaches are the closest locally, right down 77 and 26.
08-11-2013 03:53 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Not a bad location. You can get there in one day from Cleveland to Charleston by car. This would be very easy for Ohio fans in SE Ohio to get to via I-77. I could see Ohio doing a deal busing fans/students to this game and back. [/align]
08-12-2013 12:05 AM
shakermaker05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ϟ KENT STATE ϟ
A MAC Bowl in Charleston would be fantastic! I'm pretty well traveled and Charleston is prolly my favorite city in the country. Absolutely beautiful city, great food, great nightlife, of course tons of history (for better or worse) and fantastic people! I really hope this goes through!
08-12-2013 02:44 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I wish they had a bowl we could drive to.
08-12-2013 03:10 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Say about 15- 16 hours from the North Quabbin Region. Very long time ago use to be able to make it under 15 hours from Ft. Bragg. If we are in will definitely consider driving over flying and then renting a car.
08-12-2013 08:16 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Now if the SC politicians who skipped the 20th century would just make the leap from the 19th into the 21st century...
08-13-2013 06:31 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
LOVE Charleston. Love the food, the history and the ocean. Only sporting event I've attended there was a women's collegiate beach volleyball tournament featuring City College of Charleston, Clemson and others that was held right outside our hotel on Isle of Palms but I attended religiously, day after day. Based on that one experience I would say this is a GREAT sports city.
08-13-2013 07:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.