Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well.....that's it
Bookmark and Share
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

indefinetly. Waving guns at pedestrians in Memphis. WHAT?! Good riddance if that is the type judgement they have is all I have to say about it. :mad: :bang:
07-20-2004 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NewspaperRebel Offline
Former Righter

I Root For: Ole Miss

Here it is from The Commercial Appeal, my former employer!

Ole Miss suspends pair after arrests
By The Commercial Appeal
July 20, 2004

Two Ole Miss football players arrested in gun incidents early Sunday morning in Memphis have been suspended indefinitely from the team by coach David Cutcliffe.

Jamal Pittman, a sophomore running back, and Ken Bournes, a senior linebacker, were spotted by police around 12:30 a.m. Sunday at the intersection of Pontotoc and Mulberry.

According to the complaint, officers found Pittman, 21, waving a pistol at a car and pedestrians in the area. Officers repeatedly told Pitt man to drop the weapon, and when he did not they used pepper spray. After a brief struggle, he was taken into custody.

Pittman was charged with reckless endangerment, a felony, and a mis demeanor count of resisting arrest. He was held on $50,000 bond at the Shelby County Jail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Wednesday.

Bournes, 22, was observed pointing another handgun at a pedestrian. He put the weapon down when ordered to by police and was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor. Bournes was held on $1,000 bond and has a court appearance today.

"We are gathering information surrounding the events regarding the arrest of Jamal Pittman and Ken Bournes in Memphis over the weekend," Cutcliffe said in a statement released Monday. "At this time, they are suspended indefinitely from all football-related activities. As we gather information and assess the situation, we will then make a further statement."

Bournes was listed as one of two starting linebackers coming out of spring drills. After transferring to Ole Miss from Copiah-Lincoln Community College following the 2001 season, Bournes was redshirted in 2002.

Bournes, who's from Monticello, Miss., played in all 13 games in 2003, making 35 tackles, including nine for loss, and 31/2 quarterback sacks. He also forced a fumble.

Pittman, from Columbia, Miss., has undergone major surgery to both knees during his time at Ole Miss. After being redshirted in 2002, Pittman played in five games last season, gaining 214 yards on 42 carries before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament Oct. 11 against Arkansas State that ended his season.
07-20-2004 04:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

good grief, what idiots!!! Are these guys not told to keep a low profile when playing football in a major conf.?
Surely Cutt lets the newbys know their every move is under a microscope. :rolleyes:
07-20-2004 05:06 PM
REB14 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Our best offensive and best defensive players, in my opinion. Bournes is a man among boys and Pittman would have been one of the best, if not the best, RB we have ever had. Its a shame they are so stupid. But, hats off to Cutcliffe. In Miami they would have been awarded medals.

REB14
07-20-2004 06:09 PM
OLEGRAD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

ITS SAD COMMENTARY ON THE WORLD. CUT IS TO BE COMMENDED
FOR HIS SWIFT ACTION.

-----------------------------------------
OLE MISS: A CUT ABOVE
07-20-2004 11:18 PM
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

Pittman is claiming self defense right now. More to come when I hear it.
07-21-2004 08:10 AM
Advertisement

NewspaperRebel Offline
Former Righter

If you hear any more, let us know. That incident was just another day here in Elvistown and it's off the news radar now.

Where it happened, you wouldn't want to be there by yourself, especially at night! :eek:
07-21-2004 08:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

proving what they claim to be the facts is going to be tough. Without finding the others involved it is just a case of 2 nut jobs waiving guns at people. They should'nt have had the guns with them in the first place. If the officers claim is true that Pittman pointed the gun at him, Pittman better be glad to be alive this morning.
07-21-2004 08:39 AM
RoundTown Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Here is all I know as of now..

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com

OXFORD — University of Mississippi football player Jamal Pittman acted in self-defense when he aimed a gun at a group of people in a car and then allegedly pointed it toward a Memphis police officer, his attorney said Tuesday.

Pittman is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing in Shelby County Criminal Court at 9 a.m. today. He faces one count of felony reckless endangerment and misdemeanor resisting arrest stemming from his role in an altercation late Saturday night a few blocks from the Beale Street entertainment district in downtown Memphis.

Pittman, 21, had not posted a $50,000 bond and was still in Shelby County Jail late Tuesday afternoon.
Pittman and teammate Ken Bournes, 22, were arrested after an undercover Memphis police office spotted the two men yelling and aiming guns at another group speeding away in a dark Dodge car, according to a police report.

The arrest report says Pittman then pointed a loaded Smith & Wesson handgun at the undercover officer, who told the players to drop their guns.

Pittman, who continued to hold the weapon despite the officer's demand, was detained after another officer sprayed him with pepper spray and forced him to the ground, according to the report.

In a statement he gave to police, Pittman denied pointing the gun at the undercover officer. Bournes, who was charged with a misdemeanor count of unlawful possession of a weapon, was released after posting a $1,000 bond.

Both players were suspended indefinitely from the team Monday by Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe.

Matt Eggleston, Pittman's attorney from the Memphis law firm of Glanker Brown, PLLC, said Pittman went for his gun only after he was threatened by passengers who later fled in the other vehicle.

No other arrests were made.

"After interviewing all of the witnesses, we are confident that after full adjudication of the matter it will be shown that Mr. Pittman was acting in self defense," Eggleston said in a statement. "His actions were based on the threat of a third party."

Memphis police confiscated two guns from the scene: a loaded 9-mm with a laser scope and a Luger handgun, both valued at $900.

Eggleston declined comment when asked if the guns were owned by Pittman or Bournes.

Pittman could face up to two years in jail if convicted of reckless endangerment, which is defined as conduct which places or may place another person in imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury with a deadly weapon.

Memphis Police Department spokesman Rhonda Lee said Tuesday there were no new developments in the case.

Ole Miss athletic director Pete Boone questioned why two athletes would carry handguns.

"If you're not in the woods hunting something, you don't need to be walking around with weapons," Boone said. "The tragedy in this is young men making bad decisions."

Bournes did not return telephone messages left for him in Oxford or at his parents' home in Monticello. Attempts to reach Pittman's parents in Columbia were also unsuccessful.

The suspensions could leave Ole Miss without two key players when the team reports Aug. 8 for preseason practice. Ole Miss opens the season Sept. 4 at home against Memphis. Bournes, a senior linebacker and projected starter, played in all 13 games last season and is the team's top returning pass rusher. Pittman, a sophomore tailback, was set to return from a second knee surgery in as many years.

As Pittman faces the court hearing today, Ole Miss officials will review how the university handles athletes in trouble with the law.

Boone said he has spoken with the university's legal staff about developing a policy that could dish out automatic suspensions or other penalties to athletes charged with a felony.

Several major-college programs have similar policies in place. At Florida State, for example, athletes who are charged with a felony are withheld from game action until the legal matter is resolved.

Boone said school officials had already discussed standardized punitive guidelines before Pittman and Bournes were arrested.

The incident in Memphis is the latest in a set of off-the-field problems that have hit the program in the past two years.

Ole Miss fullback Rick Razzano was arrested in April and is facing four charges, including felony aggravated assault, for his role in a brawl outside an Oxford bar. Razzano, who was not suspended from the team, could end up on trial in the middle of the season.

Rebels' signee Jamarca Sanford must finish a pretrial intervention program in Oxford this summer to avoid prosecution in an auto burglary on campus last fall.

Starting cornerback Travis Johnson was suspended for two games and offensive lineman Antonio Sanders for four last season for their roles in the unauthorized use of a university long distance code.

Two seasons ago, Ole Miss basketball player Emmanuel Wade finished his senior season on the court while under indictment for felony assault of a police officer.

"We want to take each situation and weigh it on its own merit," Boone said."(Felony charges) are very serious, there's no question about it. But they also don't necessarily indicate that there's guilt. There's a lot of folks indicted who are found innocent. So we want to be very careful when things pop up. It seemed like for a long time they haven't been, and now they have."
07-21-2004 10:36 AM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

with the aforementioned list of legal woes, it looks as if we may catch up with the Criminoles at FSU. :eek:
07-22-2004 09:12 AM
USMFAN#1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Criminoles..ha ha, I like that!
07-22-2004 12:46 PM
Advertisement

REBstill Offline
All American

I Root For:

USMC Wrote:Pittman is claiming self defense right now. More to come when I hear it.
Self-defense!!! What the hell is he doing in a place like that, where he has to carry a gun? This was really stupid on their part...surely they could have found something better to do than stand on a street corner in Mempho waiting to be assaulted or to shoot someone.
07-27-2004 07:10 PM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Well they pleaded down to midemeanor charges because of the witnesses there at the scene of the incident. Boone says the decision is his as to there future with the team. As bad as I hate bad behavior I hope they get to play. It would be a big price to pay for a screw up if they don't.
08-05-2004 11:30 AM
FUT Offline
Banned

I Root For: clarity

georgew Wrote:Well they pleaded down to midemeanor charges because of the witnesses there at the scene of the incident. Boone says the decision is his as to there future with the team. As bad as I hate bad behavior I hope they get to play. It would be a big price to pay for a screw up if they don't.
Do you really believe they should not get suspended at all? All I know is I live a five minute walk from where they were arrested and I do not consider a 19 year old kid with a 9 mm with a laser scope a "screw up". It's an innocent dead person waiting to happen.

I know I am a Memphis fan but I would say the same thing about any 19 year old kid even if he played for the Tigers. I think Parquet got what he deserved (kicked off the team) and Washington had ALL charges dropped but Tommy gave him the choice to transfer or sit out two games. Read that again- ALL charges dropped. I applaud the decision.
08-06-2004 12:02 PM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Did'nt say they should not get any suspension, I was referring to the entire year. They ought to be disciplined appropriately, but not given the heave ho! Maybe Mempho PD and Shelby Co. detention ctr. scared them bad enough to not pull a repeat. I would imagine Cutt will have em running lung busters for a while as well!
08-06-2004 02:32 PM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Just noticed the decision has been handed down, Bournes outta here, Pittman 6 games.
Maybe when these guys are being recruited they should list not only their stats on the field but their off field as well.
Would go something like this,

Igniour Ramious
6'6"
4.4 40
Barbed Wire High
Arrests 4
Convictions 2
Overturned on Appeal 1
08-06-2004 02:54 PM
Advertisement

NewspaperRebel Offline
Former Righter

The lockup at the Shelby County Jail, 201 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN 38103 is enough to straighten a lot of folks out. I've never been there, but a friend has, and he got the hell scared out of him. He was just thankful he didn't have any cigarettes on him. The others in the lockup will kill you for them!

Pittman was suspended for at least 6 games and Bourne kicked off the team and his scholarship revolked. We'll see if this gets their attention too!
08-06-2004 02:56 PM
Dorothy Parker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Bournes's mama says he's really a good kid. Well, whatever.

Bournes blames self for stinging punishment

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com

Associated Press file photo

Ken Bournes (right) was a projected starter at linebacker. His dismissal opens the door for senior Brian Lester of Holly Springs.

OXFORD — Moments after he was booted from the Ole Miss football team Friday, senior linebacker Ken Bournes was pointing a finger at the person he blamed most.
Himself.
"I always felt, no matter what the outcome was going to be, that I wouldn't be going through all of this if I didn't put myself in this situation to start with," Bournes said. "So all I'm going to do is just roll with the punches and trust things will all work out for me."

Bournes' scholarship was revoked by the athletic department on Friday, two days after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun possession charge stemming from his July 18 arrest in Memphis. Ole Miss tailback Jamal Pittman was arrested on a gun-related charge from the same incident.
Bournes, 22, was also on academic probation at the university and was in jeopardy of falling short of a grade point average necessary to remain eligible at Ole Miss, his mother confirmed Friday.

In a statement released by the school Friday, Ole Miss coach David Cutcliffe said academic concerns and the arrest both factored in the decision to sever ties with Bournes.
But Doretha Bournes claims her son was unfairly used as a scapegoat by a program she believes was under pressure to send a strong message to players who get into trouble with the law.
"I believe with all of my heart that things could have been handled differently," Doretha Bournes said Friday. "I think there were a lot of political issues in play and damage control had to be done. Unfortunately for Ken, he got the worst end of the deal. He had the least involvement in terms of the trouble they were in, but got the worst punishment."

When asked if she knew her son had a handgun, Doretha Bournes said: "If I told you I didn't know Ken had a gun, I'd be telling you a lie. But I want the facts straight. They've been made to look like two hotheads starting trouble. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ken is a good kid who comes from a good family."
Bournes, 22, was one of three players disciplined by Cutcliffe on Friday for offseason arrests.

Pittman, a sophomore tailback, was suspended for at least six games. He was originally charged with felony reckless endangerment for allegedly aiming a loaded pistol at a plain-clothed police officer following an altercation he and Bournes had with another group.
Pittman pleaded guilty Wednesday in Shelby County Court to a reduced charge of misdemeanor reckless endangerment. Senior fullback Rick Razzano drew a one-game suspension from Cutcliffe for his April arrest on a felony aggravated assault charge.
Cutcliffe said in the school statement the decisions were made in the best interest of the program.

"This was Ken's last year of eligibility, so I'm not sure what his plans are at this time," Cutcliffe said in the statement.
Cutcliffe declined an interview request Friday afternoon seeking additional comment.

Doretha Bournes said she spoke with Cutcliffe two weeks ago and was led to believe that Ken had been making academic progress and was on course to play this fall.
She said the coach's outlook on Bournes' academic status changed after Ken suggested he'd transfer when first told by Cutcliffe he might face a six-game suspension.
"It was my belief that he was going to be academically eligible," Doretha Bournes said. "I guess what angers me most is that he was strung along. But they couldn't use the academic issue against (Ken) if they weren't there to use."

The outcome apparently is most costly for Bournes, a linebacker who was the Rebels' returning leader in sacks with 3 1/2 last season and was set to become a starter.
"Whether I was treated fairly in all of this really doesn't matter at this point," said Bournes, who also had 35 tackles and a forced fumble last year, his first on the field after transferring from Copiah-Lincoln Community College. "I had obstacles in my way, but I'm just going to move on with my life."
08-07-2004 09:00 AM
Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Saw that too, Mrs. Parker, the C-L story.

I fear that we are going to have trouble with Pittman being out for half the season (before he gets hurt again), Razzano likely convicted, and Bournes gone.

I thought we had a shot at going 8-3 this year. Now 6-5 is looking good.
08-07-2004 09:41 AM
NewspaperRebel Offline
Former Righter

Where ya been Wry? Long time no see! 04-cheers
08-07-2004 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.