Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

These are the kind of studenathaletes we get to compete with in the new C-USA...
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
These are the kind of studenathaletes we get to compete with in the new C-USA...
Five Western Kentucky football team members – three scholarship players, one walk-on and one member who was part of the team briefly – have been arrested during the offseason, and as it stands, four will be active for the season opener Aug. 31 against Kentucky at LP Field in Nashville

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/pe...f4ce3.html

Pitiful.
08-06-2013 08:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
RE: These are the kind of studenathaletes we get to compete with in the new C-USA...
And, while the players have obviously made their mistakes, isn't this more of an indictment of the leadership at WKU? Not seeing the point of directing this as a general attack on the new members of the conference.
08-06-2013 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
RE: These are the kind of studenathaletes we get to compete with in the new C-USA...
(08-06-2013 08:44 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  And, while the players have obviously made their mistakes, isn't this more of an indictment of the leadership at WKU?

"...then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?"

(Sorry - your point it well-taken but the wording was too much for me to resist)
08-06-2013 10:07 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
one word answer--Bobby Petrino..okay, two words
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 10:55 PM by owlatheart.)
08-06-2013 10:53 PM
MerseyOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blue & Gray
Before we rebrand Western Kentucky as Miami North, I think it wise to look at the transgressions of the four football players. It appears all the arrests involved alcohol and/or a measure of stupidity. These are not in short supply among any undergraduate student body. Honestly would the Campos have called in HPD to drag these guys off to Riesner Street?

As a teenager with more than a little alcohol on my breath I was stopped by the local police and told to go home. I was stupid to be out on the road, lucky to be stopped by an officer who knew I was local, and had enough common sense to follow his advice rather than pick a fight I would never win.

If I was Bobby Petrino I would give the local police the football roster and ask that any player committing a transgression be immediately turned over to me. After having the individuals run a dozen or so 'air raids' then if the officer still felt they need to be charged, so be it.
08-07-2013 07:24 AM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(08-07-2013 07:24 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  Before we rebrand Western Kentucky as Miami North, I think it wise to look at the transgressions of the four football players. It appears all the arrests involved alcohol and/or a measure of stupidity. These are not in short supply among any undergraduate student body. Honestly would the Campos have called in HPD to drag these guys off to Riesner Street?

As a teenager with more than a little alcohol on my breath I was stopped by the local police and told to go home. I was stupid to be out on the road, lucky to be stopped by an officer who knew I was local, and had enough common sense to follow his advice rather than pick a fight I would never win.

If I was Bobby Petrino I would give the local police the football roster and ask that any player committing a transgression be immediately turned over to me. After having the individuals run a dozen or so 'air raids' then if the officer still felt they need to be charged, so be it.

Agree.
08-07-2013 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
(08-07-2013 12:15 PM)At Ease Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 07:24 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  Before we rebrand Western Kentucky as Miami North, I think it wise to look at the transgressions of the four football players. It appears all the arrests involved alcohol and/or a measure of stupidity. These are not in short supply among any undergraduate student body. Honestly would the Campos have called in HPD to drag these guys off to Riesner Street?

Agree.

Agree as well.

We seem to forget that a few short years ago, 4 Rice players were arrested (felony possession of a weapon and misdemeanor drug use and theft). Poor decisions - yes. Doesn't mean they are bad people or somehow WKU is going to ruin C-USA due to stuff like this.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 12:22 PM by Antarius.)
08-07-2013 12:22 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(08-07-2013 12:22 PM)Antarius Wrote:  We seem to forget that a few short years ago, 4 Rice players were arrested (felony possession of a weapon and misdemeanor drug use and theft). Poor decisions - yes. Doesn't mean they are bad people or somehow WKU is going to ruin C-USA due to stuff like this.

Felony possession of a weapon? Really?

I thought it was about a rifle or shotgun inadvertently brought onto campus after a weekend hunting trip?

It all comes down to personal responsibility. I'm sick of society making excuses for individual bad decision making. It's not the school's or coach's fault if a young man (not a kid) screws up. It is the school's or coach's fault if they cover it up or excuse it without consequences.
08-07-2013 01:46 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(08-07-2013 01:46 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 12:22 PM)Antarius Wrote:  We seem to forget that a few short years ago, 4 Rice players were arrested (felony possession of a weapon and misdemeanor drug use and theft). Poor decisions - yes. Doesn't mean they are bad people or somehow WKU is going to ruin C-USA due to stuff like this.

Felony possession of a weapon? Really?

I thought it was about a rifle or shotgun inadvertently brought onto campus after a weekend hunting trip?

It all comes down to personal responsibility. I'm sick of society making excuses for individual bad decision making. It's not the school's or coach's fault if a young man (not a kid) screws up. It is the school's or coach's fault if they cover it up or excuse it without consequences.

That's what they were charged with.

And, I agree with your sentiment. I would just expect the "adults" in WKU's case to handle this better. Instead, both the athletes and the school are open to criticism.

However, to criticize all the new members of C-USA for this is a bit ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 01:52 PM by d1owls4life.)
08-07-2013 01:51 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

(08-06-2013 10:07 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  "...then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?"

Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.
08-07-2013 02:43 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-07-2013 02:43 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 10:07 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  "...then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg -- isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?"

Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

time for a 05-ban ?
08-07-2013 02:52 PM
Advertisement

RiceDoc Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

The Parliament AwardsFootball GeniusNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-07-2013 02:52 PM)Da.Owl Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 02:43 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

time for a 05-ban ?

Nah. The MOB isn't really a "banned". 05-stirthepot
08-07-2013 02:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2013 01:51 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  However, to criticize all the new members of C-USA for this is a bit ridiculous.

Agreed.
08-07-2013 05:37 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

(08-07-2013 05:37 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 01:51 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  However, to criticize all the new members of C-USA for this is a bit ridiculous.

Agreed.

So then may one assume that you people are perfectly happy with replacing the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech, and then TCU, SMU, Houston and Tulane with the likes of Middle Tennessee State U., Florida Atlantic University (referred to by the Boca locals as "FAU - Find Another University"), that academic powerhouse Western Kentucky, and so on?

You think any assertion to the contrary is "ridiculous"?

Dream on. Our star has fallen farther than anyone else in NCAA Division 1. Do you challenge that assertion? If so, on what factual grounds?

I go to 12 games a year. How many games a year do you attend?

The situation is pitiful. Your response is equally pitiful.

Just about had it.
08-07-2013 07:10 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(08-07-2013 07:10 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  

Agreed.

So then may one assume that you people are perfectly happy with replacing the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech, and then TCU, SMU, Houston and Tulane with the likes of Middle Tennessee State U., Florida Atlantic University (referred to by the Boca locals as "FAU - Find Another University"), that academic powerhouse Western Kentucky, and so on?

Dream on. Our star has fallen farther than anyone else in NCAA Division 1. Do you challenge that assertion? If so, on what factual grounds?

Just about had it.

I've about had it with a lot of things, but I agree with d1 about this one. Fine, 4 players got arrested - the same happened to us in 2011. One of those players is a standout player now. College students are college students and $hit happens. This was not the end of the world. I don't remember anyone being up in arms about playing us BECAUSE of this.

Regarding replacing the SWC with the Sunbelt, it is pathetic. But that is a totally separate issue than this. Our falling star is 100% on us and not some transgressions made by fellow conference mates athletes. Further, Johnny Football is making a downright ass of himself at aTm, so incidents like this aren't exclusive to bad conferences.

Two totally separate things.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 07:15 PM by Antarius.)
08-07-2013 07:14 PM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(08-07-2013 07:10 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  

Agreed.

Just about had it.

If we are going by arrest records, have you seen UT's the last few years? How about TCU's off the field issues the last couple of seasons? Florida's under Urban Meyer? It happens everywhere.

We aren't where we used to be. But to use this incident as a way of demeaning our new conference mates is ridiculous. We are where we are. Let's just win the damn thing.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 07:30 PM by d1owls4life.)
08-07-2013 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
There are reasons to be bullish. Our recruiting is getting better regardless of what conference we're in. We'll be on the verge of 3 consecutive bowl appearances if things go as planned. The NFL talent we're producing is better than ever.

Per Rivals, Rice is #1 right now, leading all "C-USA" (they include UCF, UH, SMU) in recruiting for 2014: http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiti...4/CUSA/all

So something is trending up for Rice. The Big 12 could come calling someday, but in the meantime, dominating a weak conference and scheduling big names like Notre Dame and rivals like Texas in non-conference doesn't seem so bad. W's are worth a lot. Let SMU and UH split theirs while we quietly pass them.
08-07-2013 08:17 PM
Cougar Hippy Offline
Banned

I Root For: Dear old U of H
(08-07-2013 08:17 PM)Buho00 Wrote:  There are reasons to be bullish. Our recruiting is getting better regardless of what conference we're in. We'll be on the verge of 3 consecutive bowl appearances if things go as planned. The NFL talent we're producing is better than ever.

Per Rivals, Rice is #1 right now, leading all "C-USA" (they include UCF, UH, SMU) in recruiting for 2014: http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiti...4/CUSA/all

So something is trending up for Rice. The Big 12 could come calling someday, but in the meantime, dominating a weak conference and scheduling big names like Notre Dame and rivals like Texas in non-conference doesn't seem so bad. W's are worth a lot. Let SMU and UH split theirs while we quietly pass them.

We would have to do some serious plummeting and you would have to do some serious rising in order for the bolded to happen. Baliff has proven that he cannot get it done in most years, but you guys have decided to keep him for this long so meh.
08-08-2013 07:28 AM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
(08-07-2013 07:10 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  ...So then may one assume that you people are perfectly happy with replacing the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech, and then TCU, SMU, Houston and Tulane with the likes of Middle Tennessee State U., Florida Atlantic University (referred to by the Boca locals as "FAU - Find Another University"), that academic powerhouse Western Kentucky, and so on?...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but players at UT, Miami, and other "power conference schools" get into trouble every year. I'm not getting how a similar circumstance at Western Kentucky relates to Rice's alignment concerns.

Not that I'm content with C-USA otherwise. The search criteria for the new AD suggest to me that the AD selection committee is not content either (e.g. "compete at the highest level" and "like-minded institutions" and such).
08-08-2013 08:17 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2013 07:28 AM)Cougar Hippy Wrote:  W's are worth a lot. Let SMU and UH split theirs while we quietly pass them.

We would have to do some serious plummeting and you would have to do some serious rising in order for the bolded to happen. Baliff has proven that he cannot get it done in most years, but you guys have decided to keep him for this long so meh.
[/quote]

If you think UH is so far beyond Rice these days, why do you bother trolling the Parliament?

I'm not saying leave. I'd miss the entertainment value of some of your idiotic comments. I'm just curious why you would lower yourself.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 09:26 AM by Tomball Owl.)
08-08-2013 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.