ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could Heinicke possibly have a chance to go pro?
cbent005 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU
Could Heinicke possibly have a chance to go pro?
Just curious, if ODU has a decent year, say win 8 to 7 games, and Heinicke individual stats are somewhat close to last years, could he possibly be offered a chance to go pro after his Junior year?
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 03:22 PM by cbent005.)
08-06-2013 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Could Heinicke possibly have a chance to go pro?
He could. It may depend on where he falls in a projected draft and how much money he could make if he improves his lot by playing another year of college.
08-06-2013 03:29 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I'd say little to no chance. not while still playing FCS teams for the most part. We'll see what happens after his Sr year.
08-06-2013 03:29 PM
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

(08-06-2013 03:22 PM)cbent005 Wrote:  Just curious, if ODU has a decent year, say win 8 to 7 games, and Heinicke individual stats are somewhat close to last years, could he possibly be offered a chance to go pro after his Junior year?

Very doubtful, unless he really lit it up against the FBS teams.
08-06-2013 03:30 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Roughly 8 to 12 get drafted every year and about 25 percent of them are projects because of their athletic ability (Terrell Pryor, Oregon Quarterbacks, Joe Webb, Tyrod Taylor)

NFL teams aren't going to draft a guy like TH a year early.
08-06-2013 03:33 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

Certainly hope not. Selfish I know.
08-06-2013 03:34 PM
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Zero chance he gets drafted early with our schedule this year.

Even if we went undefeated and he threw for 12k yards, he still wouldn't be drafted as a junior.

They are going to want him to prove it against a full fbs schedule before anyone even thinks about drafting him.

That's just reality.
08-06-2013 04:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Obviously, you don't HAVE to play an FBS schedule to get drafted (Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Steve McNair, Ryan Fitzpatrick), but you'd better be a damned specimen. Heinicke might get a late-round flyer if he declares, but he's going to be fighting an uphill battle with his size even if he wins the Heisman next season.
08-06-2013 05:10 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(08-06-2013 05:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Obviously, you don't HAVE to play an FBS schedule to get drafted (Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Steve McNair, Ryan Fitzpatrick), but you'd better be a damned specimen. Heinicke might get a late-round flyer if he declares, but he's going to be fighting an uphill battle with his size even if he wins the Heisman next season.

I was thinking the same thing...With his size it will be very difficult for him to get drafted. He may have to prove it as free agent to make a team...Anybody know his true height?? I am not talking about what is listed on the roster...If he is a true 6'1" then someone may take a chance on him in the draft but if is really under 6' doubtful he will get drafted.
08-06-2013 05:23 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: RE: Could Heinicke possibly have a chance to go pro?
(08-06-2013 03:22 PM)cbent005 Wrote:  Just curious, if ODU has a decent year, say win 8 to 7 games, and Heinicke individual stats are somewhat close to last years, could he possibly be offered a chance to go pro after his Junior year?

Doubt it. With his size, he'll be lucky yo be drafted regardless of his stats. Drew Brees got a 2nd round pick coming out of the Big Ten. I say mid round might be Taylor's draft ceiling. Not a prediction of how he'll do, but I don't see anyone taking a shot at him early enough for him to be tempted $$$$

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
08-06-2013 06:34 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: RE: Could Heinicke possibly have a chance to go pro?
(08-06-2013 05:23 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 05:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Obviously, you don't HAVE to play an FBS schedule to get drafted (Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Steve McNair, Ryan Fitzpatrick), but you'd better be a damned specimen. Heinicke might get a late-round flyer if he declares, but he's going to be fighting an uphill battle with his size even if he wins the Heisman next season.

I was thinking the same thing...With his size it will be very difficult for him to get drafted. He may have to prove it as free agent to make a team...Anybody know his true height?? I am not talking about what is listed on the roster...If he is a true 6'1" then someone may take a chance on him in the draft but if is really under 6' doubtful he will get drafted.

If he puts up the numbers, he'll get drafted... just probably not in an early round. He has the same size and mobility as Drew Brees was coming out of Purdue... and that has to be the lowest pick of anyone that size without Michael Vick speed.

08-06-2013 06:39 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

Romo was not drafted. He was an undrafted free agent. I really do not think there is any chance of TH being drafted after his junior year. The question will be if he can put two more really good years in the books, especially inn 2015. If so, he stands a chance of being drafted then, but at his size, he would really have to have a Heisman like year to go early in the draft.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 06:48 PM by ODU AGGIE.)
08-06-2013 06:45 PM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

After his junior season? No chance whatsoever. Even if he lights it up for two years against FBS teams, he'd be a fringe 6th or 7th rounder. Needs to improve his arm strength and footwork in the pocket, IMO. Certainly has the intangibles, though (awareness, QB clock, intelligence), and he throws a very pretty deep ball for a smaller guy.
08-06-2013 06:59 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

All true. However, the question "Could he go pro?" and the question "Would he get drafted?" are two different questions.
08-06-2013 07:28 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2013 07:28 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  All true. However, the question "Could he go pro?" and the question "Would he get drafted?" are two different questions.

They are and they aren't. He could go pro without getting drafted, but I'd imagine he wouldn't even consider it without knowing he'd be a high draft pick.

I could see him being a pretty successful CFL quarterback.
08-06-2013 08:11 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2013 06:45 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Romo was not drafted. He was an undrafted free agent. I really do not think there is any chance of TH being drafted after his junior year. The question will be if he can put two more really good years in the books, especially inn 2015. If so, he stands a chance of being drafted then, but at his size, he would really have to have a Heisman like year to go early in the draft.

True enough. I guess I meant that you can be an NFL star without having seen a full slate of FBS games. But even if he was an undrafted FA, a lot of things would have to break his way.
08-06-2013 08:16 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2013 08:16 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 06:45 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Romo was not drafted. He was an undrafted free agent. I really do not think there is any chance of TH being drafted after his junior year. The question will be if he can put two more really good years in the books, especially inn 2015. If so, he stands a chance of being drafted then, but at his size, he would really have to have a Heisman like year to go early in the draft.

True enough. I guess I meant that you can be an NFL star without having seen a full slate of FBS games. But even if he was an undrafted FA, a lot of things would have to break his way.

Roger that. I would sure like to see him play well enough the next two years to get the chance at the NFL. Time will tell.
08-06-2013 08:43 PM
ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(08-06-2013 06:39 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 05:23 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  

If he puts up the numbers, he'll get drafted... just probably not in an early round. He has the same size and mobility as Drew Brees was coming out of Purdue... and that has to be the lowest pick of anyone that size without Michael Vick speed.

Who knows but there are a lot of good college QBs that never get drafted...The three strikes against him will be his size, level of competition, and the type of offense he played. If it was just one of these issue he may have a better chance but the three of those issues together will be hard to overcome. One prime example of these issues coming into play was with Case Keenum out of Houston, I see Heinicke's situation being very similar.

You never know though, if a team really sees something they like in him they may take a shot at him in the late rounds. No doubt he will get his chance to prove himself as an undrafted free agent...Either way he will get his day in an NFL camp to show what he can do.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 09:28 PM by ECU-DMB Fanatic.)
08-06-2013 09:27 PM
workingodu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
The home game after he set that record some nfl scouts came in to watch the game from one team. One was showing interest in him.
08-06-2013 10:35 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

When Ronnie was interviewing with pro teams last year, he said every team ask about Taylor. They keep asking "he's a RS freshman right?" He said he would just laugh and tell them he was a true freshman.
08-06-2013 10:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.